"overcharging" normal?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
stok40

"overcharging" normal?

Post by stok40 » Tue May 04, 2021 5:42 am

Once we started getting external temperatures over 20 degrees in my country, I am getting these numbers when doing a full charge. Is this normal?

Screenshot_20210504-073855_WattCat.jpg

Grunt

Re: "overcharging" normal?

Post by Grunt » Tue May 04, 2021 8:47 am

Yes, it is.
Wattcat estimates the battery charge based on the few parameters it receives from the JLR API - that number does not come from the BMS. Wattcat does a pretty good job, but can be off quite a bit in the final 10% charge.
With a nice and warm battery I also see number nearing 86kWh (not 87, but then again mine is almost 3 years old now).

The "overcharge" is largely virtual, unfortunately. If you drive off, you will see that the decrease in what Wattcat reports far exceeds the actual consumption. The virtual kWh will disappear into thin air...

If you want the real data, you'll need to buy an OBDII adapter and run something like Torque Pro. That way you get the actual details straight from the BMS.

stok40

Post by stok40 » Tue May 04, 2021 7:17 pm

thanks Grunt, that's useful information.

Mine is a Jan 2019 SE model with around 10k miles right now. Bought used last summer.

Over the biggest part of last winter, I was getting an optimization value of around 94-96% on wattcat when fully charged. Temps have been in the 20-25 C area over the last couple of weeks, and I suddenly went up to 100% optimization over last night's charge, which came as a (positive) surprise.

What I don't get is that optimization value on Wattcat is ALWAYS getting lower as vehicle is being used after a charge. I did around 30 miles today, and optimization on wattcat is already on 98%.

Over the winter, with a wattcat optimization value of, let's say, 96% at the end of the charge, I ended up having optimization values between 83 and 89% when reaching 30-40% SoC.

It seems that this difference in the optimization value on wattcat is due to the fact that the car loses actual battery capacity/doesn't hold its charge when being used. What I don't get is why doesn't the car hold that optimization value when fully charged? be it 90%, 95% or 100%, if ambient temps do not change, why does the car lose around 10% in capacity when driven around? and recovers it again when being charged?

What are the other forum members' experiences on this point? do you get lower optimization rates when using the car than the one shown when the charge is complete?

thanks for your views on this.

stok40

Post by stok40 » Tue May 04, 2021 7:21 pm

and about that OBDII adapter: I do have such an adapter and the paid version of torque pro, but only been using it on my other cars - never tried it on I-Pace. Does torque pro work on i-pace? or you do you have another app to recommend to read information like battery SoH etc. Thanks again for your useful comments.

Grunt

Post by Grunt » Tue May 04, 2021 8:03 pm

You should be able to use your torque and OBDII.
But most default values read will not be of meaning.

On this forum Kermit68 posted somewhere a very nice tutorial and a file to download, to allow using Torque Pro with the I-Pace. I followed it, had to make some changes because the download is for the slightly different MY21. Kermit68 also explained in the same thread what to change where, works fine.

Kermit knows a lot about this OBDIi stuff, but Dernotte is the real maestro, it seems. He has been decoding all values

On the optimisation I have the same experience. I don't pay much attention since I have the OBD2. More solid in my experience. WattCat remains a super application for a lot of functionality, but the developer was limited by what the API makes available.

kermit68

Post by kermit68 » Tue May 04, 2021 9:59 pm

stok40 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:21 pm
and about that OBDII adapter: I do have such an adapter and the paid version of torque pro, but only been using it on my other cars - never tried it on I-Pace. Does torque pro work on i-pace? or you do you have another app to recommend to read information like battery SoH etc. Thanks again for your useful comments.
You can find the tutorial for Torque Pro and the I-Pace here:

https://ipaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4491

Have fun ;)
MY21 Yulong White SE, 20", head-up display, air susp, matrix lights, privacy glass, black pack and other fine stuffs
MY20 SE - gone

ANBO

Post by ANBO » Tue May 04, 2021 10:31 pm

stok40 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:17 pm

Over the winter, with a wattcat optimization value of, let's say, 96% at the end of the charge, I ended up having optimization values between 83 and 89% when reaching 30-40% SoC.
Same summer and winter readings for me. Still waiting for those warm days to come back though....

Torque Pro works well. We have not found a actual battery capacity on OBDii and the consensus is that WattCat is also an estimation. The SoH is relative to the theoretical capacity based on the SOC reading. What we believe is SOH on OBDii is around 94.5 currently (10°C). I have seen it drop to 91 at low SOC during a trip with only DC charging. Currently it is back at 94.5 and expect it to go back up as temperatures rise.

Screenshot_20210425-134059_Torque.jpg

Screenshot_20210504-200124_Torque.jpg