Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

H288 Wiring Harness

27K views 81 replies 39 participants last post by  triplefan 
#1 ·
This is to replace the wiring harness and if damaged by water ingress the Park Pawl Actuator. Involves some major dismantling and needs 2 days.

A picture from the US forum.

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
symos said:
hereu said:
This shows on Topix if your car is affected.
Probably just for UK cars, though (for now at least).

My car is affected (based on VIN) but I don't see anything on Topix. Hopefully I will before the next service, which is due soon.

Anyone with an EU car that has seen this campaign appear in Topix? If so, which country?
Just contacted the dealer for an other issue: rear left feels uneasy. Unclear if it is the (air) suspension or the drive train.

The dealer mentioned the H288 wiring issue, and it is scheduled. Most Dutch dealers have to fix over one hundred iPaces each. My car is scheduled in for just one day..

#28 ·
With the best will in the world, the work takes longer than a day!
If you read the Topix notes regarding the work and add into that that you have to take the front of the car off, section 418-02 in the workshop manual, this involves more than draining the coolant and air conditioning, and contrary to the photo of an I-Pace having the work done in the USA, the drive shafts are not pulled out of the motors, 9.6 hours is the absolute minimum. Not many dealerships can spare two technicians for the whole job, though two are necessary when the HV battery is unplugged.

Stay safe

Ian

#29 ·
Re the H288 recall, I had a call from the dealer to say that I should have got my car back today if JLR had included some cable clips in the H288 kit to keep the loom away from the steering column they had indicated to fit!
It went in on Tuesday, so had JLR included the clips in the kit, it would have been 3 days in the dealers.

This is the first the technician had done and all went well, bolts etc. coming out OK etc. He said the technician was amazed how tight the loom was from the body to the motor, and no wonder it has been a problem! Very difficult to unplug because it was under so much strain!
He said the technician followed the JLR instructions to the letter and set the 'stolen car' alarm off because it missed out the put into 'Service Mode'! I couldn't remonstrate as the technician thought he shouldn't put it in 'Service Mode' as he normally would but with no instruction to do so, assumed he shouldn't!
Those missing clips are coming tomorrow, so I should have it back in the afternoon.

They loaned me a 21 Hybrid RR Evoque. 35 miles on a full charge, and in Electric mode only, rather nice to drive, just a pity about the petrol Hybrid bit!!
The steering wheel has flappy paddles and oh how I wish I could have that steering wheel on my I-Pace to control the regen level.
It would be such a natural way of controlling it!

Can we start a campaign to have it as a retro fit?

Stay safe

Ian

#30 ·
d111112 said:
Topdown said:
Thanks I have asked them and the dealer.
Pls let us know about the answer and outcome. Would be interesting :idea:
I was told by the dealer that all warranty work carried out in the warranty period is covered until the warranty expires. Any problems after this would only be covered if there was problems due to negligence. Extended warranty is about £500 per year so that would be the way to go.

#31 ·
Mine was in last week for this but had a call to say they didn't have time so have kept it another week. Had z call on Wednesday to say it still won't be done as the wiring loom is on backorder and won't be in till early May so have to collect my car and take it back.

Am z tad annoyed to be honest as that is another two weeks my car has been at the dealer this year (a total of 8 weeks now) then it has to go back.

You would have thought that when it was booked in 7 weeks ago they would have had an idea the parts availability back then.

Not happy with having to drive it for another three weeks now in the hope the parts come in.

#32 ·
Just got my I Pace back after more than two weeks - started with a leaking windscreen seal and then H288 and a service. H288 is claimed to take 18 hours and only special techs can do the work. Interesting as defined as Parking Lock Actuator on my invoice. I thought that was corrected in software but H288 seems to involve dropping the front motor, and refiling the coolant etc etc. Will watch carefully!!!

#33 ·
Still nothing on Topix for me, even though my VIN is within the affected range.

Spoke with local JLR and they said that if the campaign applied to my car, it would have already appeared, which means my car is not affected. Or so they say...

Needless to say, I'm not convinced.

#34 ·
Yes, I live in the Netherlands and a lot of i-Paces here (MY 19-20) are affected and this is also visible in Topix.

#36 ·
My H288 was completed today, dropped off yesterday at 08:15, phonecall to say finished today around lunchtime. So 1 1/2 days. Not a clue what they have done, drives just the same. I did proactively contact them re this.

#38 ·
Well after three weeks (first two weeks was waiting for the wiringbloom) have just collected my car. While there they also fixed an ac leak.

Fingers crossed won't be seeing a dealer now for a very very long time. My car has been in at dealers for 10 weeks this year as also went in to have the forgotten matrix headlights sorted. Also the 12v battery problem done.

That should be it with the known issues now so can get on with just using the car.

#40 ·
I had the work done last week and the dealer had the car for 4 days which included repainting of the "Jaguar" trim at the bottom of both front doors
I realise the actual job has an allowance of 9.5 hours but taking into account we all like a bit of flexibility that when we have an immediate problem, we would like the car looked at post haste, I think there needs to be a bit of flexibility
My local dealer organised a loan car, an Audi Q5 which is quite a respectable car, but compared to the iPace it is a decidedly inferior car in terms of handling, steering and the car had a good old fashioned lag while it decided if it needed to change down a gear and it stank of plastic
Made me appreciate what a great car the iPace is, not just the motor, but everything

On a different subject I have moved to Octopus for my energy needs on their Go tariff and hopefully have found a simple way to beat the iPace default position of always wanting to charge to full and ignoring the timer on the car
I have a 2 year Rolec which is not "Smart" and Rolec tell me it is cheaper (£500) to buy a new Smart charge outlet than convert an existing one
After research I have come across a Shelly 1 WiFi which would normally be used to control lights, heating in the house etc remotely and can also be used on the Rolec and any other charge point. The wiring is quite simple as it interrupts the the relay (contactor) so it is a no load situation which means it does not take the load of 32 amps, it just switches the relay off as it is normally on when the car is plugged in
You leave the car plugged in and set the timer on a Shelly app for 12.30-4.30 and all for around £15 plus labour if you do not have the skill to do it yourself. I am waiting for the item to arrive and bring on 5p kwh = £4.50 for a full charge, not bad for 200 plus miles v £36+ for similar size dirty fuel cars

#41 ·
MikeSL1 said:
I had the work done last week and the dealer had the car for 4 days which included repainting of the "Jaguar" trim at the bottom of both front doors
I realise the actual job has an allowance of 9.5 hours but taking into account we all like a bit of flexibility that when we have an immediate problem, we would like the car looked at post haste, I think there needs to be a bit of flexibility
My local dealer organised a loan car, an Audi Q5 which is quite a respectable car, but compared to the iPace it is a decidedly inferior car in terms of handling, steering and the car had a good old fashioned lag while it decided if it needed to change down a gear and it stank of plastic
Made me appreciate what a great car the iPace is, not just the motor, but everything

On a different subject I have moved to Octopus for my energy needs on their Go tariff and hopefully have found a simple way to beat the iPace default position of always wanting to charge to full and ignoring the timer on the car
I have a 2 year Rolec which is not "Smart" and Rolec tell me it is cheaper (£500) to buy a new Smart charge outlet than convert an existing one
After research I have come across a Shelly 1 WiFi which would normally be used to control lights, heating in the house etc remotely and can also be used on the Rolec and any other charge point. The wiring is quite simple as it interrupts the the relay (contactor) so it is a no load situation which means it does not take the load of 32 amps, it just switches the relay off as it is normally on when the car is plugged in
You leave the car plugged in and set the timer on a Shelly app for 12.30-4.30 and all for around £15 plus labour if you do not have the skill to do it yourself. I am waiting for the item to arrive and bring on 5p kwh = £4.50 for a full charge, not bad for 200 plus miles v £36+ for similar size dirty fuel cars
I also had the H288 fix done and was lent an Evoque for the 4 days it took - drove OK except for the smell of diesel and rough gear changes.
I find that the Wattcat app can successfully limit charge to your choice of maximum %, regardless of which charger you use, so if you use an Android phone, use of the app is even cheaper than your suggested fix.

#44 ·
2 weeks ago I made an appointment for a summer check as well as some minor issues like blind spot assist not working and 1 of the 2 key fobs not working.
This morning they called me to re-schedule the appointment for a week later and make it a 2 day repair appointment, reason the H288 wiring harness recall.

Let's see how it goes

#46 ·
Yesterday I got my car back (home delivery - great service from the dealer) - the good news is that due to having gained experience the H288 was done within 24hrs together with blind spot software update (stopped working) and park distance control check/update (1 side was over sensitive).

The bad news for me (or actually for the person driving this car next) is that after 2,5 years and 72,000km the battery degradation was measured at 9% (so 91% left).

I do find 9% more than expected certainly considering the over protective BMS, I expected maximum 5%.
To be fair in comparison to most I likely abused the battery more but still I find 9% a lot.
* I have HPC (100kW+) charged more than most - more than 100 charging sessions and 5,000 kWh in total.
* Certainly in the beginning I did like those traffic light sprints, now I do them when my kids asks.
* On German Autobahn I have driven for >180km/h for longer periods of time
* My SoC % has gone below 10% numerous times, a few times I went passed 0% (before the range update) and 1 time I drove to a dead stop (luckily inside a Fastned charging station).

#48 ·
Jelle v/d Meer said:
The bad news for me (or actually for the person driving this car next) is that after 2,5 years and 72,000km the battery degradation was measured at 9% (so 91% left).

Jelle,

I feel the pain. 9% degradation is Tesla territory - Teslabjorn has tested multiple M3s with 8-10% degradation for a similar age. At least those benefitted from high speed HPC!

Hope could be that the dealer did not measure accurately. Do you have an OBD2 adapter to confirm that this is the verdict of the BMS under proper conditions (battery at 23°)? It means you'd have 77kWh left...
Mine has 3 years, half the mileage, hardly any HPC and reports SoH at 97% (confirmed driving it down to 6% SoC).
For the rest I did (and do) all you did, except I never went below 3% SoC.

#49 ·
I had the 'gearbox fault' warning and the ratchet noise, pushed the service button and forty minutes later a technician arrived, unbelievable service for a Sunday morning. By Monday morning I was driving a brand new Range Rover Sport loan car and my I Pace was in the hands of the dealer. I have spoken with them since and I'm apparently in a queue of fifteen I Paces waiting for the same work. I'm not objecting, because the Range Rover is really comfortable, returned 36mpg on a trip to Scotland and 41mpg on local journeys, which isn't bad for such a big SUV and reminded me that a car that can cover 550 miles without refuelling is actually quite convenient. The only issue is the Pivi Pro infotainment system that seems to be buggy and not significantly snappier than the TouchPro in the I Pace. Can't fault JLR for customer support.

#50 ·
Grunt said:
Jelle v/d Meer said:
Jelle,
I feel the pain. 9% degradation is Tesla territory - Teslabjorn has tested multiple M3s with 8-10% degradation for a similar age. At least those benefitted from high speed HPC!
Hope could be that the dealer did not measure accurately. Do you have an OBD2 adapter to confirm that this is the verdict of the BMS under proper conditions (battery at 23°)? It means you'd have 77kWh left...
Don't have an OBD2 adapter but I charged to 100% the other day and WattCatt shows something quite differently, I hope indeed the dealer is wrong.
Communication Device Font Gadget Material property Screenshot

Attachments

#51 ·
Captain.Plummet said:
I had the 'gearbox fault' warning and the ratchet noise, pushed the service button and forty minutes later a technician arrived, unbelievable service for a Sunday morning. By Monday morning I was driving a brand new Range Rover Sport loan car and my I Pace was in the hands of the dealer. I have spoken with them since and I'm apparently in a queue of fifteen I Paces waiting for the same work. I'm not objecting, because the Range Rover is really comfortable, returned 36mpg on a trip to Scotland and 41mpg on local journeys, which isn't bad for such a big SUV and reminded me that a car that can cover 550 miles without refuelling is actually quite convenient. The only issue is the Pivi Pro infotainment system that seems to be buggy and not significantly snappier than the TouchPro in the I Pace. Can't fault JLR for customer support.
Talk to Jaguar Experience (Nee Customer service) nicely and if you keep your fuel receipts they will refund the difference in running costs of an EV and fossil fuel as you 'should' really have been loaned an I-Pace!

Stay safe

Ian