Why I have reached the end of my tether with my I-Pace, Jaguar and the Dealer.

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Flyingwilko

Post by Flyingwilko » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:39 pm

I’m sorry if people were offended by my criticism of the pice based on my two years plus ownership and experience of the supplying dealer.
Last edited by Flyingwilko on Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
2018 Ipace HSE - Numerous faults since delivery, wish I'd never bought it. Trying to get Jaguar to fix it properly. Follow me on Twitter @faultyipace and instagram @faultyjaguaripace to find out more.

Jeffrey

Re: Wish I’d just bought a Tesla - I WILL NEVER BUY A JAGUAR OR AN IPACE AGAIN

Post by Jeffrey » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:31 pm

Just buy the Tesla and go away.
MY20 HSE 22” wheels. Santorini Black.

bradtipp

Post by bradtipp » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:04 pm

Please just go away. This is not some social media hang out for morons.

Can I ask the moderators to Block this person please - My new year's wish.

scm

Re: Please delete

Post by scm » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:47 pm

Flyingwilko wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:39 pm
I’m sorry if people were offended by my criticism of the pice based on my two years plus ownership and experience of the supplying dealer.
People were annoyed by reading the same thing over and over again in multiple threads. We get you're unhappy, but just complain once and you'll get sympathy, post all over the forum and, well, you know what you got.

Flyingwilko

Post by Flyingwilko » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:02 pm

That’s fair. I will reroute me post and give a detailed description of all the issues I have experienced. Apologies for the numerous posts.
2018 Ipace HSE - Numerous faults since delivery, wish I'd never bought it. Trying to get Jaguar to fix it properly. Follow me on Twitter @faultyipace and instagram @faultyjaguaripace to find out more.

ianipace

Post by ianipace » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:21 pm

Free speech is fundamental to a free society.
Have either of you bothered to look at his twitter or Instagram accounts?
If you did bother to look you will find that he has had a pretty torrid time with his dealer and Jaguar customer service!

So please before you condemn anybody, root out the facts and then make an informed decision.
It is not the duty of the moderator to ban people who have problems with their i-Pace, if they did there would be very few posters!

Stay safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and 20" wheels. Ohme Smart charger.

HSE

Post by HSE » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:55 pm

Hear! Hear! ianipace.

Happy new year to all.

Having driven Tesla Model S cars and my two year old I-Pace, if my priority was the quality of the self-driving performance, I would definitely recommend the Tesla. However, I have not fallen out of love with my I-Pace, despite recognising that it is imperfect in some respects. Mostly that is because of the simple driving pleasure it delivers, but a significant contributor has been the quality of the dealership support provided from Beadles of Watford (and particularly their Master Technician). I would recommend that if anybody is really dissatisfied with the quality of service that they are receiving, that they shop-around.

Quakered

Post by Quakered » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:34 pm

I confess to not being able to understand the OP's post as he supplies no information on his problems. I therefore looked it up on Twitter and it would appear that his gripe is that the adaptive cruise control does not work in heavy rain as confirmed by Jaguar. I suspect this is a safety issue as rain can reduce the effectiveness of radar and indeed car control issues when roads are wet. In these conditions I would have thought the driver of any car should be using the Mark 1 eyeball and driving experience and not relaying on the cars "toys".

I apologise if I missed his early whinges on this forum but do think he should get a sense of proportion on what is very much a first World problem.

PS as a young officer training to get my Ocean Watchkeeping Certificate, it was constantly stressed that no officer should rely on radar as there could easily miss things and that the Mark 1 eyeball had to be the most important detection device to ensure safe navigation - I still remember that over half a century later!
SE Firenze Red, Oyster leather, glass roof, HUD, Air Suspension, delivered 6/19

scm

Post by scm » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:53 pm

Quakered wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:34 pm
... I still remember that over half a century later!
Yeah, it's recent memories that disappear with age! :lol:

Flyingwilko

Post by Flyingwilko » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:08 am

I wasn't sure whether to post this in Faults and Technical or here but as it isn't about one fault and my overall experience I shall post it here.

So firstly I would like to say that I love the I-pace, it looks great and in theory is so much better than the Tesla. I had wanted to go electric for a few years but didn’t really want to just become another Tesla bore, let alone could I afford one. As soon as the i-pace was released I put a deposit down with my local dealer. I also wanted to support a British brand that was being quite bold in the direction it was going.

I have described the issues with the delayed delivery of my car and my dealer in the customer service thread so I won’t repeat them here. Suffice to say communication is woeful and lacking mixed with a large portion of incompetence.

I took delivery of my space in November 2018 and have owned it ever since. I have done 42,000 miles in it and in that time I have had numerous issues with is and it has been returned to the dealer 6 times.

In short the issues I have encountered are:

1. Incorrectly fitted and deformed wheel arch liners - this was reported tot he dealer within the first two weeks of ownership. They said the needed to be replaced and “ordered” the parts. It took 22 months for the to actually replace them in the end with me chasing them numerous times. The first Tim eI took the car in on their request because they had the part in and they only replaced one telling me they hadn’t actually got the parts after all.
2. Adaptive Cruise Control doesn’t work in wet driving conditions (wet road to heavy rain), it drops out with “radar sensor blocked”. This has been assessed 5 times by the dealer and not rectified. More on this below:
3. Rear mud guards became detached, rotated and rubbed against the rear wheels totally ruining them. These has to be replaced.
4. Climate control - when the temperature is below @4 degrees the car will randomly mist up to the point water drips from the roof. Looking elsewhere on this forum it seems I am not the only person who experiences this issue, it is unclear if this is a fault of just poor system performance. Either way its the first far I’ve ever had that does this and a sweat damp smelling car isn’t great. It has been checked twice by Jaguar who have “reset” the system and checked for any leaks in the car etc.
5. Heated/Cooled seats: sometime and randomly the heated seat base will emit hot air and the back rest cold.
6. The car developed a very loud creak/rattle from the roof panel above the rear view mirror. Had to return the car to Jaguar twice for this with video evidence to stop them claiming it was the sunglasses in the overhead stowage. Now fixed.
7. Charging - the car often charges much slower than it should. When plugged into a 7kw charger it often takes over 24 hours to charge, at other times on the same charger is takes 13. By experimenting, if I start the car, move it then put it back on charge, the charge time reduces.
8. Creep function - for a whole software cycle the would turn itself off evreyrtiue that car was turned off. Known fault I know and it was fixed.
9. Maps - totally dumped all the maps and had to be returned to the dealer to be fixed.
10. Not a car fault but Marshalls scratched the rear bumper/wheel arch when replacing the liners in September. I pointed this out to them and they had me return the car in November to be repaired. Despite spending a “while day” in their bodyshop the repair is non-existent as car be seen in the pictures in my other thread!

By far the biggest issue has been the adaptive cruise control fault, one that remains outstanding.

In brief the issue is this: when it’s wet (wet road through to heavy rain) after a period of driving (which seems to depend on the density of the precipitation) the ACC drops out with the warning “Driver Intervene” followed by “Radar Sensor Blocked”. It tends to happen on the motorway but thats when I tend to use the system. Of course the region braking immediately kicks in and the car initially decelerates quite rapidly, brake lights on etc. Of course I intervene promptly but there is always an initial deceleration as can be seen in the videos I have of the fault. There is also a safety and insurance implication here: the car uses radar for its emergency braking and collision avoidance, so presumably when the radar is “blocked” this system won’t work. A lot of insurance is premised on cars having emergency braking/collision avoidance and so it raises the question of insurance validity with the system not performing correctly.

I have returned the cart to Marshall of Cambridge 5 times to assess the fault and on the first few occasions they just read the fault code and “reset” the system. On the last two occasions they have apparently removed the front of the car, cleaned out the sensor and “reset” the system. Sure enough the fault just reoccurs as soon as it rains.

Having had numerous conversations with Marhsalls about the issue their “story” has evolved to a point where they are now claiming this is normal behaviour of the system. They defer to the Jaguar technical advice which states that in heavy rain or snow this can occur. The issue I have gone to pain staking lengths to explain to them occurs even when its not raining. Furthermore I would accept the system would struggle to work with heavy rain or snow but I would expect this to be more instantaneous and not delayed depending on the density of the precipitation as I have experienced. Have previously raised a thread on this forum and it seems at next to no one else has experienced this fault. Furthermore by their own admission no other Jag dealers have reported customers with the same issue on their internal system. Also during the 5 occasions the car has been back to Marshalls I have had 5 JLR loan cars, all with ACC (Evoque, E-Pace, XE and another I-Pace), I have driven these cars in exactly the same, and worse, conditions than would cause the fault to occur on my car and none of them replicated it. Marshalls’ answer? Those cars have “different” or “updated” systems on them. Not sure I buy that., especially on the I-pace loan car I had. They also said they took the car for an extensive hour long text drive in wet conditions when it was with them last. A quick look in the car’s journey log reveals they took it 5 miles up the road and 5 miles back, mostly on A road, not motorway and so unlikely with the ACC constantly in. Marshalls have essentially washed their hands of the car saying they cannot find a “fault” despite the fault code being present every time I return the car to them and have told me that I need to take it up with Jaguar UK. I was assured by their assistance service manager that he would discuss with Jaguar and come back to me.

Despite the assurances from the assistant service manger at Marshalls I haven’t heard a thing from them in over a month, despite several polite emails and phone calls. I have opened a case with Jaguar UK which have also attempted to contact Masrhalls. Apparently they too are not receiving any responses from Marshalls. Notwithstanding the time of year and the COVID issue it doesn’t really excuse what appears to be a complete stonewall by Marshalls.

While I realise most to the time the car works fine, and as someone said elsewhere on this forum this is very much a “first world problem”, it is an expensive car in a very competitive market. The car was expensive and one of my main reasons for purchasing the car was the ACC and land keep as I do a lot of motorway driving. When the system works is great, it just reduces the effort. No I don’t cross my legs and look out of the glass roof.

I feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall with Jaguar and Marshalls in particular and that I have spent £73k of my own hard earned money on a British Leyland Friday afternoon special. While I do love the car there is a limit to how much I am willing to forgive and overlook and really don’t think it is unreasonable to expect such an expensive car to work as advertised and for the dealers to treat its’ customers properly.

I feel like I have exhausted all ‘normal’ options available to me. I have provided plenty of evidence to Marshalls that the car does not perform correctly and that their reasoning is invalid. I have taken a case up with Jaguar UK and this has gone nowhere with the dealer basically stonewalling both parties. And so I resorted to social media in an attempt to shame either Jaguar or Marshalls into action. And the sad thing is the effect was almost instantaneous: messages from both asking me to contact them, the irony given the fact I have spent a month politely emailing and writing for them to do the same!

I feel like I have reached the end of my tether with the car, Jaguar and Marshalls. I have never had so many issues with a car before. It feels like my early build car is exactly that, a car that was rushed and not ready for release maybe?