Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

OBD port to power Dashcam

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  IynCognito 
#1 ·
Thinking of getting a OBD to mini-usb "hardwire" connector to power my dashcams, Don't really need/want it to power the dashcam when the car is off. I have seen some OBD kits with an "ACC" switch that supposedly turns off 5 minutes after the car is switched off. Anyone with experience of this? This looks like an easier solution than hardwiring the dashcams to the rear fuse box.

G
#2 ·
I used this item to power a dashcam from the OBD socket. It has a switch on it and is USB socket so you can use the original cable.
(18.7in OBDII OBD Power Cable OBD2 to USB Charger Cable Dash Cam Hardwire Kit 16Pin Connector Charger for Car GPS DVR Dash Camera from Amazon,)

#3 ·
Jagmanmick said:
I used this item to power a dashcam from the OBD socket. It has a switch on it and is USB socket so you can use the original cable.
(18.7in OBDII OBD Power Cable OBD2 to USB Charger Cable Dash Cam Hardwire Kit 16Pin Connector Charger for Car GPS DVR Dash Camera from Amazon,)
Is that a standard on/off switch? Won't work with my setup currently as the mini-usb cable supplied with my dashcam is hardwired into the 12v cigar plug. Interesting product though.

G
#4 ·
IynCognito said:
Jagmanmick said:
Is that a standard on/off switch? Won't work with my setup currently as the mini-usb cable supplied with my dashcam is hardwired into the 12v cigar plug. Interesting product though.
Yes it's just a normal manual switch. I only use this cable so I can put my dashcam on motion detect when parked.

#8 ·
Thanks JaguarMannen & russyj. Pormido actually sent me a hardwire kit for free, but it is only 3.5m long so won't reach the fuse box under the rear seat. Will either have to get a mini usb extension cable or a miniusb OBD2 cable instead. My current mirror dashcam set needs 2.5A.

Don't get me wrong, it's working fine, I just don't like the last bit of wiring going into the 12v socket between the front seats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.