About to order - opinions please: light or dark?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
rad

About to order - opinions please: light or dark?

Post by rad » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:19 am

I am soon going to visit our local JLR dealer in Ascot with a view to test-driving and trading-in my F-Pace for a new order on an I-PACE SE with several additions over the standard base model. I have been working with the online configurator, and have now narrowed it down to two possible colour options - light or dark. Light would be Borasco Grey and dark would be Portofino Blue (if they did a BRG like my F-Pace, I would probably have opted for that; but alas no). Both the colour options would be with the full black pack and black gloss 20" wheels. I did briefly consider the bright pack on the Portofino Blue, but I think it may be a bit frumpy.

So I am looking for opinions regarding whether light or dark paint finishes better suit the lines of the I-Pace. I have not managed to see either colour in person yet, and wondered if anyone has. The Borasco Grey appears similar to the Porsche chalk colour, which seems to work well on the Porsche 911 silhouette, but I am not 100% sure if it works on the I-Pace from what I have seen in the few photos that are available online. The Portofino Blue is of course a new colour for the I-Pace, and I can only really base my judgement on other JLR models that I have seen in this colour. People with black I-Paces seem to be pleased from what I can read, so a dark paint finish does seem to work well.
Awaiting delivery: 2021 HSE - Portofino Blue with lots of black, inside and out.

malcolm

Re: About to order - opinions please: light or dark?

Post by malcolm » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:30 am

There are a few pics on the members gallery of Borasco, probably worth a search, include Barasco , a guy in America with the full black pack, it looks great.
Barretts Jaguar in Canterbury have one in Borasco, if you can't get to see it in person they may do you a video walk around.
As far as BRG there are a few people that have had theirs wrapped in it and it does look great, again try a search on the forum
For my personal opinion, the I-pace is a bloody great looking car in any colour, it is going to be your pride and joy so go with your heart and enjoy
Yulong white HSE, 20" wheels, ebony and black pack
S19B_19.40.4-436082
Telematics 14.2

51mes

Post by 51mes » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:44 am

We had the same challenge, had 2 cars (grey epace and a blue Ipace) from the dealer together and thought the grey was a little too dirty white, it needed to be a little more grey if you know what I mean. We ordered blue, without the black pack but with the pan roof and an oyster interior and are very happy with it.

Whichever way you go, it is a great car, enjoy.
MY20 (Nov19) I-pace SE |AIR|Pan Roof|Light Oyster 10 way Heated Seats I Caesium Blue| 18" 5055 wheels
Infotainment 20C + Telematics 19.2 + H264 + H280| Podpoint 7Kw+ ohme cable for Octopus Agile charging.https://share.octopus.energy/sky-ape-579

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:47 am

I have portofino blue and it looks great. Despite not being a fan of bling I regret not opting for the bright pack as I think it really suits the car.

The nice thing about Portofino is that it looks totally different in different lights. It looks dark in dull light but really shine and sparkles in bright sunlight. I didn't opt for the black pack and am slightly glad of that as I think the metallic contrast is good.

I would have probably opted for a metallic grey were it not for the fact that the Mrs car is also metallic grey and I am not that dull lol

I too would have picked BRG in a heartbeat if it were an option.

Effectively you get light and dark in one car ;)
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

rad

Post by rad » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:07 am

Great feedback from all of you - thank you!
Awaiting delivery: 2021 HSE - Portofino Blue with lots of black, inside and out.

Terry60

Post by Terry60 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:05 pm

To misquote H Ford " It looks great in any colour... as long as it's black"

iPace as configured.JPG

Ex A3 e-tron (138mpg over 4 years)
Now in Black HSE (every tech option, no bling) MY20 VIN 829.. IC S20C1_20.48.3 Tele 16.2 Maps 117.153
Awaiting PV, Powerwall, Zappi.
Looking forward to free motoring. (barring the cost of all the kit !)

scm

Post by scm » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:09 pm

Terry60 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:05 pm
Of course, Henry only said black as that was the only paint he could find that dried quickly enough on his production line. ;)

russyj

Post by russyj » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:29 pm

Terry60 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:05 pm
I have Santorini Black, looks awesome after a coat of wax... for about five minutes! I’d go for the blue if I did it again, in any case you won’t be disappointed as the colour is my single regret with the car!

Wasabi Pea

Post by Wasabi Pea » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:12 pm

Portofino looks to have far more depth even than the optimistically named borasco(pe)
At last I have my i Pace SE Firenze Red. Ordered 28th Feb, arrived 29th July. Broke 2nd August :cry: Back on the road again 7th August :D

rad

Post by rad » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:48 am

Once again thank you for all your feedback. I’m especially pleased to see the photo of the Portofino Blue from electric beagle. I’m definitely leaning further towards this now.