Octopus Energy - cheap overnight charging

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Delta5

Re: Octopus Energy - cheap overnight charging

Post by Delta5 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:34 pm

Mine is a dumb charger and I simply plug the car in around 8pm and take advantage of low rates overnight, last night it cost me £4.50 for 75kw
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior, Air suspension, 18in wheels, Drivers pack, 360. arrived 16th July, very nice.

endoman

Post by endoman » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:49 pm

tonight is looking like a real cheap one, negative pricing predicted for the first time since I got the smart meters. Off to run the battery down a bit more!
Santorini Black SE, MY18, Ebony / Mars Red performance seats, Pano, Air and Adaptive. Black trim, 20 Inch 5070 wheels, H264/280, S20C1_20.48.3-635557 19.2.
Ohme home charger, https://share.octopus.energy/funny-prawn-126

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:15 pm

russyj wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:18 am
I’ve just switched to Agile however it seems you need Ohme or Rolec + EV Energy to get the very best out of it, annoyingly I have a tethered Pod Point, if anyone knows of any smart way to charge (switch when price drops below X) that works with Pod Point I’d be grateful! Only way I can see is an Ohme 3pin but that’s not going to fully charge overnight!
One thing you can do is get a WiFi circuit breaker. Then you can make use of the Octopus API or utilise IFTTT or similar. Replace the circuit breaker for your charger with the WiFi one, and then set it to come on and turn off when the API returns a figure below whatever your maximum price is.

russyj

Post by russyj » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:51 pm

endoman wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:49 pm
tonight is looking like a real cheap one, negative pricing predicted for the first time since I got the smart meters. Off to run the battery down a bit more!
Thanks for the heads up, only my third day on Agile, could get used to this!

russyj

Post by russyj » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:58 pm

Abu Dhabi Dude wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:15 pm
russyj wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:18 am
I’ve just switched to Agile however it seems you need Ohme or Rolec + EV Energy to get the very best out of it, annoyingly I have a tethered Pod Point, if anyone knows of any smart way to charge (switch when price drops below X) that works with Pod Point I’d be grateful! Only way I can see is an Ohme 3pin but that’s not going to fully charge overnight!
One thing you can do is get a WiFi circuit breaker. Then you can make use of the Octopus API or utilise IFTTT or similar. Replace the circuit breaker for your charger with the WiFi one, and then set it to come on and turn off when the API returns a figure below whatever your maximum price is.
Thanks for the suggestion! Does anyone have any experience with these and can recommend a product? Some of these seem... well I’m not sure I want to put 32A through one!

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:43 am

russyj wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! Does anyone have any experience with these and can recommend a product? Some of these seem... well I’m not sure I want to put 32A through one!
Ive no personal experience but I have heard of a few people who have done it with no issues. Sorry I can’t recommend a particular product but I have seen them rated up to 60 Amps.

51mes

Post by 51mes » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:35 pm

I use a raspberry pi and jlrpy (from avdevd) to pause charging at the car via jag's api - until it stopped working after a dealer visit recently, but whe this is fixed

I am planning some work linking this code on the PI to the download from the Octopus agile API, it's a winter project - that or IFTTT

I'd rather use the PI than wattcat on my phone as my huwaei tends to take power naps when it's idle for a few hours.

I got a lovely charging session last night being paid to charge - who would have thought it!
MY20 (Nov19) I-pace SE |AIR|Pan Roof|Light Oyster 10 way Heated Seats I Caesium Blue| 18" 5055 wheels
Infotainment 20C + Telematics 19.2 + H264 + H280| Podpoint 7Kw+ ohme cable for Octopus Agile charging.https://share.octopus.energy/sky-ape-579

russyj

Post by russyj » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:02 pm

Anyone know how often Octopus site updates your usage? I have electricity data for Thursday, Friday but no Saturday & Sunday, but I do have gas Saturday and Sunday, I thought smart meters sent out one signal? Want to see how I did on my first plunge!

bluenun

Post by bluenun » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:08 pm

Russyj - they usually report daily. You might want to get an app such as Watchdog rather than find out directly from Octopus. Mine showed I imported about 90kw of energy for nothing between Sunday morning and Sunday evening. If only it was like that every day!

russyj

Post by russyj » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:51 pm

bluenun wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:08 pm
Russyj - they usually report daily. You might want to get an app such as Watchdog rather than find out directly from Octopus. Mine showed I imported about 90kw of energy for nothing between Sunday morning and Sunday evening. If only it was like that every day!
Thanks bluenun, contacted them and they did a manual push, managed to get 66kwh for 0 or less! I have Octopus Watch, very useful app as trying to read next day prices on the Octopus one is a nightmare, much prefer the table!