Dead car - Gearbox fault detected

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar I-Pace
Maxwell_400

Re: Dead car - Gearbox fault detected

Post by Maxwell_400 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:22 pm

scm wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:31 am
If you're measuring the battery voltage in situ you're probably seeing the battery being charged, >14v is the AGM charging voltage.
I measure it with a bluetooth module, both when it is charging and not. Charge voltage at 5 degrees celsius is 14.8 volts. As soon as you unlock the car it will start charging.
I-Pace SE++, MY20, 18" summer & winter, no panoroof, towbar, spare wheel, H264

Subie

Post by Subie » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:59 pm

npnr wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:20 am
V1Teo wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:59 pm
Pulled over and got the dreaded gearbox fault. Car wouldn’t go into forward or reverse gear.
Fingers most certainly crossed for you!

The first time my car went to the dealers with this fault they didn't know what to do. It was working once it arrived on the flat bed, so they just did some software updates and returned it to me 2 weeks later. At least now Jaguar have an official guide for the dealers to follow, so you should get it fixed first time. And hopefully you can report back here about how quick and efficient they were at fixing it!

I wonder if Jaguar tweaked the design at some point to cause this. Mine and Subie's cars were both nearly new, with just over 1000 miles on them.
I spoke to someone at Jag today, head office gave my a courtesy call, they told me the harness they replace it with is a lot thicker and sturdier, this got me thinking that a lot of cars can get this issue, the part they replace it with is like a special order, hopefully going forward its just the standard they use

kermit68

Post by kermit68 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:26 pm

When your car has been built? I'm asking because if the new harness has been redesign I guess than newer cars will have it by default. We can make some statistics to guess when the new designed part has been initially used in production.
MY20 Yulong White SE, 20", air suspension, privacy glass, black pack and other fine stuffs

V1Teo

Post by V1Teo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:12 am

Subie wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:59 pm
V1Teo wrote:
My Ipace has failed today. Was driving back to Bournemouth from Weymouth and the car started making a weird whiring noise like there was something stuck in the front motor as it was rotating.

Pulled over and got the dreaded gearbox fault. Car wouldn’t go into forward or reverse gear.

Jaguar arranged for it to be towed to Christchurch Jaguar (😔😔😔😔). The front wheels were locked so they had to put skids under the wheels and unceremoniously pull her onto the flatbed

I’m gutted as I wasn’t even driving spiritedly due to the pace of charge in my battery.

Fingers crossed please !!!!
Gutted for you, hopefully you have a quick turnaround and better overall experience than I did, have they arranged a courtesy car?
I must say that so far Jaguar assistance have been first class. They organised a taxi to get me home and pick up my daughter from school.

They organised Enterprise car hire to get me a VW Arteon (YUUUCK!) to get me going and have promised delivery of an IPACE loaner this lunchtime.

I'm really grateful for their service so far. I really miss my ipace though and having left 4 messages for the Hendy Christchurch Jaguar to call me I'm getting a bit frustrated. I just would like an update on progress!

V1Teo

Post by V1Teo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:15 am

npnr wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:20 am
V1Teo wrote:
Fingers most certainly crossed for you!

The first time my car went to the dealers with this fault they didn't know what to do. It was working once it arrived on the flat bed, so they just did some software updates and returned it to me 2 weeks later. At least now Jaguar have an official guide for the dealers to follow, so you should get it fixed first time. And hopefully you can report back here about how quick and efficient they were at fixing it!

I wonder if Jaguar tweaked the design at some point to cause this. Mine and Subie's cars were both nearly new, with just over 1000 miles on them.
Thank you npnr.... I really hope I can report how efficient they are, but currently odds are not looking good! I don't understand how difficult they find returning a simple phone call. Surely that's just being polite?

V1Teo

Post by V1Teo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:17 am

kermit68 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:26 pm
When your car has been built? I'm asking because if the new harness has been redesign I guess than newer cars will have it by default. We can make some statistics to guess when the new designed part has been initially used in production.
I think mine was built Dec 18. I collected it in April 19. Is there a way of determining the build date?

Subie

Post by Subie » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:30 pm

V1Teo wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:17 am
kermit68 wrote:
I think mine was built Dec 18. I collected it in April 19. Is there a way of determining the build date?
I contacted this email jagcrc@jaguarlandrover.com, I provided them with a number to contact me on and told them about my frustrations with the dealership no returning my calls or every reaching out to me. Within two days I started getting a phone call every other day

V1Teo

Post by V1Teo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:00 am

Subie wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:30 pm
V1Teo wrote:
kermit68 wrote:
I contacted this email jagcrc@jaguarlandrover.com, I provided them with a number to contact me on and told them about my frustrations with the dealership no returning my calls or every reaching out to me. Within two days I started getting a phone call every other day
Thanks for that good tip Subie!

Maxwell_400

Post by Maxwell_400 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:25 am

V1Teo wrote:
kermit68 wrote:
Maybe the service history can give you a hint:
https://osh.jaguar.com/service-history
I-Pace SE++, MY20, 18" summer & winter, no panoroof, towbar, spare wheel, H264

V1Teo

Post by V1Teo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:41 pm

Maxwell_400 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:25 am
V1Teo wrote:
kermit68 wrote:
Maybe the service history can give you a hint:
https://osh.jaguar.com/service-history
Thanks Maxwell. So the link confirms it’s a 2019 model. It doesn’t say a build date.