Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Dead car - Gearbox fault detected

56K views 133 replies 36 participants last post by  ICDP_EV 
#1 ·
I just parked my car then when I went to drive away I got this error message. The car wouldn't go into gear so I called the helpline. The Jaguar mechanic came after about 2.5 hrs, and he diagnosed a parking brake actuator failure. He called the recovery truck. It's now been taken away and will be delivered to the dealer tomorrow.

Hope it is a quick fix.

Car Vehicle Steering part Automotive design Motor vehicle

Attachments

See less See more
#78 ·
Subie said:
We also agreed on compensation so I'll be part of the iPace family for a while, hopefully car is with me by the end of the week
Hi Subie
Glad things are moving for you. JLR Assistance seem to be sorting things for our repatriation from Ireland.

May I ask what compensation you were offered? feel free to PM me
Richard

#79 ·
This seems to be an issue with the BMS, I have just had mine replaced, weird that so many cars went around the same time, maybe an issue due to a patch, maybe the cold?

It took 2 1/2 weeks for my car to get fixed partly because they had to order the BMS, I expect they will be running low on stock. It's maybe a good thing that new cars have been halted as the demand for these parts could have become an issue.

#80 ·
HardBoil said:
This seems to be an issue with the BMS, I have just had mine replaced, weird that so many cars went around the same time, maybe an issue due to a patch, maybe the cold?

It took 2 1/2 weeks for my car to get fixed partly because they had to order the BMS, I expect they will be running low on stock. It's maybe a good thing that new cars have been halted as the demand for these parts could have become an issue.
I've seen a couple of people on facebook recently also mention the same issue that we are having, surely Jaguar by now must be concerned and thinking to do recalls to sort the issue out before leaving their drivers stranded.

#81 ·
Blueboy said:
A lot of the issues can be attributed to the 12V lead acid battery failing.
I have no idea of what battery type they use, I guess it is an AGM battery. Anyway the battery voltage seems to be quite high, 14.8 volts measured on the OBD II port at 5 degrees Celsius. With my old diesel car I had 13.8 volts at summer and 14.4 volts in the winter. When the car is off the voltage drops to 14.4 which seems to be the emf voltage of the battery at that temperature.

#82 ·
It is an AGM battery that powers all the control systems, similar to that used on Jaguar ICE models and has an annoying rate of failure, first symptoms will probably be odd error messages that disappear followed by shutdown. I wouldn't worry too much about 14.5v but there is potential for higher voltages because it is charged electronically from the traction battery. Reading through posts on this forum 12v battery problems account for many breakdowns, it does not help when the dealer says they cannot look at it for 3 weeks.

#84 ·
Delta5 said:
It is an AGM battery that powers all the control systems, similar to that used on Jaguar ICE models and has an annoying rate of failure, first symptoms will probably be odd error messages that disappear followed by shutdown. I wouldn't worry too much about 14.5v but there is potential for higher voltages because it is charged electronically from the traction battery. Reading through posts on this forum 12v battery problems account for many breakdowns, it does not help when the dealer says they cannot look at it for 3 weeks.
My thinking was that the high failure rate is due to overcharging of the two 12 volt batteries. I always bring with me a small 12 volt start booster just in case. Since I am an engineer I will out of curiosity connect bluetooth battery monitors on the batteries.

#86 ·
Subie said:
It seems as if we have progress, I can see the status on my app changing now, they have moved the car a bit and also the battery percentage has gone up.

We also agreed on compensation so I'll be part of the iPace family for a while, hopefully car is with me by the end of the week
Fantastic! That is good news Subie. At least you've got a nice low mileage model! How many miles did you put on the loan cars? I think I saved around 1000.

Can I knidly ask that this thread sticks to "Gearbox fault detected" issues? It's a specific issue, not related to the battery. Thanks all :)

#87 ·
npnr said:
Subie said:
It seems as if we have progress, I can see the status on my app changing now, they have moved the car a bit and also the battery percentage has gone up.

Fantastic! That is good news Subie. At least you've got a nice low mileage model! How many miles did you put on the loan cars? I think I saved around 1000.

Can I knidly ask that this thread sticks to "Gearbox fault detected" issues? It's a specific issue, not related to the battery. Thanks all :)
Thanks! Just collexted the car today, managed to put 2200 on the loaner

#88 ·
My Ipace has failed today. Was driving back to Bournemouth from Weymouth and the car started making a weird whiring noise like there was something stuck in the front motor as it was rotating.

Pulled over and got the dreaded gearbox fault. Car wouldn't go into forward or reverse gear.

Jaguar arranged for it to be towed to Christchurch Jaguar (😔😔😔😔). The front wheels were locked so they had to put skids under the wheels and unceremoniously pull her onto the flatbed

I'm gutted as I wasn't even driving spiritedly due to the pace of charge in my battery.

Fingers crossed please !!!!

Attachments

#89 ·
V1Teo said:
My Ipace has failed today. Was driving back to Bournemouth from Weymouth and the car started making a weird whiring noise like there was something stuck in the front motor as it was rotating.

Pulled over and got the dreaded gearbox fault. Car wouldn't go into forward or reverse gear.

Jaguar arranged for it to be towed to Christchurch Jaguar (😔😔😔😔). The front wheels were locked so they had to put skids under the wheels and unceremoniously pull her onto the flatbed

I'm gutted as I wasn't even driving spiritedly due to the pace of charge in my battery.

Gutted for you, hopefully you have a quick turnaround and better overall experience than I did, have they arranged a courtesy car?

#90 ·
V1Teo said:
Fingers most certainly crossed for you!

The first time my car went to the dealers with this fault they didn't know what to do. It was working once it arrived on the flat bed, so they just did some software updates and returned it to me 2 weeks later. At least now Jaguar have an official guide for the dealers to follow, so you should get it fixed first time. And hopefully you can report back here about how quick and efficient they were at fixing it!

I wonder if Jaguar tweaked the design at some point to cause this. Mine and Subie's cars were both nearly new, with just over 1000 miles on them.

#91 ·
scm said:
If you're measuring the battery voltage in situ you're probably seeing the battery being charged, >14v is the AGM charging voltage.
I measure it with a bluetooth module, both when it is charging and not. Charge voltage at 5 degrees celsius is 14.8 volts. As soon as you unlock the car it will start charging.

#92 ·
npnr said:
V1Teo said:

The first time my car went to the dealers with this fault they didn't know what to do. It was working once it arrived on the flat bed, so they just did some software updates and returned it to me 2 weeks later. At least now Jaguar have an official guide for the dealers to follow, so you should get it fixed first time. And hopefully you can report back here about how quick and efficient they were at fixing it!

I wonder if Jaguar tweaked the design at some point to cause this. Mine and Subie's cars were both nearly new, with just over 1000 miles on them.
I spoke to someone at Jag today, head office gave my a courtesy call, they told me the harness they replace it with is a lot thicker and sturdier, this got me thinking that a lot of cars can get this issue, the part they replace it with is like a special order, hopefully going forward its just the standard they use

#94 ·
Subie said:
V1Teo said:

Gutted for you, hopefully you have a quick turnaround and better overall experience than I did, have they arranged a courtesy car?
I must say that so far Jaguar assistance have been first class. They organised a taxi to get me home and pick up my daughter from school.

They organised Enterprise car hire to get me a VW Arteon (YUUUCK!) to get me going and have promised delivery of an IPACE loaner this lunchtime.

I'm really grateful for their service so far. I really miss my ipace though and having left 4 messages for the Hendy Christchurch Jaguar to call me I'm getting a bit frustrated. I just would like an update on progress!

#95 ·
npnr said:
V1Teo said:

Thank you npnr.... I really hope I can report how efficient they are, but currently odds are not looking good! I don't understand how difficult they find returning a simple phone call. Surely that's just being polite?

#96 ·
kermit68 said:
When your car has been built? I'm asking because if the new harness has been redesign I guess than newer cars will have it by default. We can make some statistics to guess when the new designed part has been initially used in production.
I think mine was built Dec 18. I collected it in April 19. Is there a way of determining the build date?

#97 ·
V1Teo said:
kermit68 said:
When your car has been built? I'm asking because if the new harness has been redesign I guess than newer cars will have it by default. We can make some statistics to guess when the new designed part has been initially used in production.
I think mine was built Dec 18. I collected it in April 19. Is there a way of determining the build date?
I contacted this email jagcrc@jaguarlandrover.com, I provided them with a number to contact me on and told them about my frustrations with the dealership no returning my calls or every reaching out to me. Within two days I started getting a phone call every other day

#98 ·
Subie said:
V1Teo said:
kermit68 said:
I contacted this email jagcrc@jaguarlandrover.com, I provided them with a number to contact me on and told them about my frustrations with the dealership no returning my calls or every reaching out to me. Within two days I started getting a phone call every other day
Thanks for that good tip Subie!

#99 ·
V1Teo said:
kermit68 said:
Maybe the service history can give you a hint:
https://osh.jaguar.com/service-history

#100 ·
Maxwell_400 said:
V1Teo said:
kermit68 said:
Maybe the service history can give you a hint:
https://osh.jaguar.com/service-history
Thanks Maxwell. So the link confirms it's a 2019 model. It doesn't say a build date.

#101 ·
Some fairly good news today. I called the dealer and he said they've identified a broken connection on the wiring harness.

I'm glad they've found a fault which seems to be similar to a few others in this thread.

Hopefully now they can order and install the Repalcement.

Fair play to Jaguar Assistance. They've delivered me a courtesy Ipace. It's much better spec than mine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.