Big leak on passenger side

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
RJUK

Re: Big leak on passenger side

Post by RJUK » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:36 pm

Well I hope to stay objective and not become a moron who thinks every bit of bad press is some sort of fake news scam.
Narvik Black I-Pace HSE with black everything, HUD, adaptive air suspension, privacy glass. 8-)

RJUK

Post by RJUK » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:59 pm

Well, after much messing about, delays, and nonsense from Lex Autolease, I've just this second watched the I-Pace finally be trailered away for the last time.

Since deciding to hand it back the nav screen has occasionally been getting stuck with everything shoved into the upper half of the display, requiring me to stop, shove it into reverse to bring up the camera, and then back into drive to get full screen back. Fun.

It also decided in the middle of Ikea car park that reverse "gear" was broken (and yes, I know it's not a gear as such). I was manoeuvring into a tight space and required a bit of reversing and the car made a weird noise and then refused to go into reverse. Just sat there and would go into drive, but not reverse. Nothing behind me. Ended up having to fully turn the car off and back on again to get reverse. No idea why.

Still, had it not been for the water leak and consequent thrashing of the paint by Jaguar Taunton I'd probably still have it now.

I was quite sad to see it go. That said, I have a Tesla model 3 Performance that has been sat on the driveway for a month that I've been itching to drive, so I'm quite excited to start giving that a proper drive. :D
Narvik Black I-Pace HSE with black everything, HUD, adaptive air suspension, privacy glass. 8-)

elbocko

Post by elbocko » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:18 pm

RJUK wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:59 pm
Well, after much messing about, delays, and nonsense from Lex Autolease, I've just this second watched the I-Pace finally be trailered away for the last time.

Since deciding to hand it back the nav screen has occasionally been getting stuck with everything shoved into the upper half of the display, requiring me to stop, shove it into reverse to bring up the camera, and then back into drive to get full screen back. Fun.

It also decided in the middle of Ikea car park that reverse "gear" was broken (and yes, I know it's not a gear as such). I was manoeuvring into a tight space and required a bit of reversing and the car made a weird noise and then refused to go into reverse. Just sat there and would go into drive, but not reverse. Nothing behind me. Ended up having to fully turn the car off and back on again to get reverse. No idea why.

Still, had it not been for the water leak and consequent thrashing of the paint by Jaguar Taunton I'd probably still have it now.

I was quite sad to see it go. That said, I have a Tesla model 3 Performance that has been sat on the driveway for a month that I've been itching to drive, so I'm quite excited to start giving that a proper drive. :D
I would be interested in your long term view of M3 if you can manage to come back onto the forum with it. Thanks.
El Bocko

E 2ERO, SE, Firenze Red, MY19, 18". Still loving it.
Infotainment - S20C_20.16.5-536345. It has gone backwards, now S20B_20.27.3-568398 @ 26/7/2020
Vehicle Connectivity 17.2,
Battery Energy Control Shh, it won't say. H264v3 completed.

RJUK

Post by RJUK » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:59 pm

elbocko wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:18 pm
RJUK wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:59 pm

I would be interested in your long term view of M3 if you can manage to come back onto the forum with it. Thanks.
Not a problem. From the short drives I've had it's much more of my sort of car. Low seating position, tauter suspension, quicker steering rack.

Build quality is as expected. The boot strut tries to eat the rear windscreen rubber ever time I open and close the boot. Tesla moved the boot over a bit, but said they couldn't move it enough to stop it interfering. I reckon I can do it myself though, but I shouldn't have to.

Alistair

Post by Alistair » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:46 am

My I-Pace is back with the dealership at the moment with all four footwells having standing water after last week's heavy rain. Apparently the water ingress was around the windscreen so it is having a new windscreen and interior carpet fitted.

Hopefully this will not lead to any electrical or corrosion problems. The car is almost exactly one year old.

Has anyone else had any further issues of this sort?

RJUK

Post by RJUK » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:13 am

I gave up on mine and told them to keep it. They refused to replace the carpet and gave it back to me sopping wet still. I sent it back to them and they just left it with all the doors open and the heaters on full blast, then gave it back to me a week or two later without bothering to charge it even. I also told them not to wash it under any circumstances, left several signs in the car saying the same and reiterated to them several times not to wash the car and they had Edward Scissorhands wash it with sandpaper. The car was black, so looked horrendous all scratched up and by this time I was done with the car, so back it went.

Windscreen sealing seems to be a JLR issue, because the Jag tech who came to see mine before it was taken away had just had the same issue with a day old Evoque.

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:16 am

Alistair wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:46 am
My I-Pace is back with the dealership at the moment with all four footwells having standing water after last week's heavy rain. Apparently the water ingress was around the windscreen so it is having a new windscreen and interior carpet fitted.

Hopefully this will not lead to any electrical or corrosion problems. The car is almost exactly one year old.

Has anyone else had any further issues of this sort?
You only need to post this once.

Alistair

Post by Alistair » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:04 am

When I spoke with the service department they told me how they monitor problems across the network and it looks like they have tagged this issue because they were pretty quick with the leaky windscreen diagnosis and offer to replace the interior carpet. It might take a couple of weeks but they have loaned me a Range Rover Velar in the meantime (it's weird driving a diesel after an EV).

Having read all the way through these posts, though, I am worried about whether the water damage may be storing up problems for the future. I bought this car on a 4 year finance plan and was expecting to keep it long term, but the dashboard area must have had a lot of water pass through it to soak all four footwells. This could cause the failure of any number of components over an unknown timescale.

I am seriously considering whether I should also reject this car now rather than find out in a couple of years that I'm going to have major reliability issues.

Can I ask RJUK, whether this was a straightforward process and how you went about it? I read your earlier posts about your car being leased so realise that it may be a different process for me.

RJUK

Post by RJUK » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:48 pm

It shouldn't really be that different as the method of paying for the car doesn't really make any difference to rejecting it. It was quite straightforward, actually and much easier than expected. They agreed to take it back without any real arguments. Might have been because I had the weight of a large lease company behind me though, but it didn't seem like that made any difference. I was the one talking directly to Jaguar.