Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Test drive

15K views 44 replies 26 participants last post by  bertie63 
#1 ·
hardus77 said:
Hello everyone,

I got to test drive one yesterday at the Orange County auto show. The ride was about 15 minutes on surface streets. Sadly I knew more about the car then the Jaguar person - he was brought in at the last minute because of high demand. Brilliant car. It got the 👍 from the wife.

Having said that I still think it will be a difficult choice between the iPace and the Niro. Yes the Niro is much less refined and not a performance focused, but half the cost and better range.

Thank you!
I do agree. The choice to buy an ipace is like the choice to buy any high end car. There are cars that do the same job as a Ferrari, use less fuel, aren't as fast but don't look as nice and are less luxurious. So most people buy Ford and a few buy a Ferrari. The ipace is not (and never was meant to be) a car for the masses. The fact that it is selling so well is impressive and surprising.

Whatever one you buy good luck with it. The head says Niro, the heart says ipace!

#2 ·
Which one you would choose if compare ICE Niro vs F-Pace (or E-Pace if similar size). Same dilemma, how much you want to spend. Range different isn't that big but Niro charges faster, thanks to smaller battery. But is that an issue depends your driving profile. If lot of long trips with charging on the road, then range/charge speed is important. But if not, then no need to worry it. But I'd also consider which one is most comfortable for long daily trips and choose comfort over the range.

#3 ·
MjrPayne said:
Which one you would choose if compare ICE Niro vs F-Pace (or E-Pace if similar size). Same dilemma, how much you want to spend. Range different isn't that big but Niro charges faster, thanks to smaller battery. But is that an issue depends your driving profile. If lot of long trips with charging on the road, then range/charge speed is important. But if not, then no need to worry it. But I'd also consider which one is most comfortable for long daily trips and choose comfort over the range.
The eNero is very comfortable to drive, as is the eKona. Both have better range than the I-Pace if Range is a concern. They both have much smaller batteries so will charge much faster with the same charging kW. They both cost much less than the I-Pace and have FREE road tax. They have pretty much all the "features" the top of the range I-Pace has, but definitely don't suffer from the severe software issues some I-Pace owners have experienced. The Infotainment systems don't suffer from lag, and support Android Auto and CarPlay in ANY country.

You could buy an eNero for yourself and the eKona for your partner for not a lot more than the price of the I-Pace. However, you would have to wait around 1 Year to get them.

#6 ·
All of that comparison would be true if a car was just a means of getting from A to B, in which case we would all be driving Kia's or Dacia's. A premium car is aspirational, that's why BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar and all the others sell at a higher price, in many cases they are more fault prone and certainly much more costly to run but we still want them.
The real comparison is between Tesla and Jaguar and I did seriously consider a Tesla, the Model 3 is much cheaper and longer range but the quality is much poorer, I don't like the exterior style and the interior is just awful, they may well sell lots to drivers who just want cheaper motoring, it's not for me.

#7 ·
The Niro/Kona are great cars if all you want is getting from A to B. The I-Pace offers much more; Sports car - check, premium feel - check, off-road - check. For me cars are much more than just commuting.

#9 ·
***** said:
MjrPayne said:
The eNero is very comfortable to drive, as is the eKona. Both have better range than the I-Pace if Range is a concern. They both have much smaller batteries so will charge much faster with the same charging kW. They both cost much less than the I-Pace and have FREE road tax. They have pretty much all the "features" the top of the range I-Pace has, but definitely don't suffer from the severe software issues some I-Pace owners have experienced. The Infotainment systems don't suffer from lag, and support Android Auto and CarPlay in ANY country.

You could buy an eNero for yourself and the eKona for your partner for not a lot more than the price of the I-Pace. However, you would have to wait around 1 Year to get them.
Welcome back C***y

#11 ·
emgf said:
***** said:
MjrPayne said:

Welcome back C***y
👍

#12 ·
malcolm said:
:) And I believe ****** might mean that the gang might all be back together again ,
welcome back both of you, your knowledge, advice and information have been missed
I don't know what happened, and I truly hope that I didn't offend anyone.

I received some really helpful information from "Goshdarnit" who then seemed to stop posting.

Like you, Malcolm, let's hope that things get back to normal.

Kind regards,
Nigel

#13 ·
Hi all,

If C***y is back, can he or someone who knows him PM me, I just tried to PM him and it says he isn't contactable.

I have some info for him about a visit to JLR Castle Bromwich I am making on Friday 24/01/2020.

Thanks in anticipation.

#14 ·
Are we responding to posts from 8 months ago?

I think C***y is still no longer part of our world unfortunately.

#15 ·
Neither Chewy or Goshdarnit are on here any longer, at least not under their original forum names, they have both deleted their profiles as far as I can make it.

#19 ·
scm said:
smular said:
You want a car you just buy a prius. If you need a car you buy a Jaguar
I think you've got that the wrong way round. Jaguars are wants, not needs.
Semantically true, but I NEED a Jaguar. :D :D :D

#21 ·
Model 3 is the sort of car you would give to a rep or a government minister, years ago reps had to drive a Morris Marina a sure sign he was at the bottom of the pile.
Or can anyone think of a less desirable company car.

#23 ·
The Niro & Kona are great BEVs, the Tesla 3 is a very good car too. But only a Jag is a Jag & the I-PACE benefits from this great heritage, as a drivers car it absolutely stands out from the crowd! Design & build quality are top notch too. Software is a tad laggy, but over the air updates are getting there.

I think the real choice is between Tesla 3 & I-PACE in the price bracket. I test drove both & really wanted to like the Tesla, but the visibly lower quality interior & lack of driving character (that I seek) made the Jag a straightforward decision.

All in all it's a personal choice, but if you want a smile on your face every time you get in the car, the I-PACE won't disappoint. Good luck with you decision.

#24 ·
Delta5 said:
Model 3 is the sort of car you would give to a rep or a government minister, years ago reps had to drive a Morris Marina a sure sign he was at the bottom of the pile.
at that time I worked at an Austin Rover dealership, so can confirm Marina was a bad car, but so was the Allegro, Princess, Maxi et al.

#25 ·
Pacesetter said:
Delta5 said:
at that time I worked at an Austin Rover dealership, so can confirm Marina was a bad car, but so was the Allegro, Princess, Maxi et al.
Just remembered the Austin Maestro Diesel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.