Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

And we can't even get the basics to work properly.

6K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  ***** 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Chewy said:
jason.birchall said:
Somehow this seems years away...... Tell me I'm wrong anyone!
It took Tesla 6 years :)
That's a very fair point, but if I was a Tesla competitor I'd make sure my software would compete from the off and have my development and operational capabilities ready at launch.

#8 ·
I couldn't care less about this feature since my children are allergic :D
But what I would like to see is a bumb in efficiency and performance OTA. Tesla gained 3% range and performance only because of software remapping last week.

#9 ·
FENorway said:
But what I would like to see is a bumb in efficiency and performance OTA. Tesla gained 3% range and performance only because of software remapping last week.
That' is purely because Tesla uses inferior Induction motors and they can play with balance between the motors.

The I-Pace has highly efficient PM motors front and rear.

If you go back to Bjorn's test where they compared the X, I-Pace and eTron, the I-Pace was much more efficient than the X at and below 50mph. This was because of lower mass and far more efficient motors. It loses out at speeds above 65mph due to the design of the airflow around the car - software won't change that.

#12 ·
Chewy said:
FENorway said:
That' is purely because Tesla uses inferior Induction motors and they can play with balance between the motors.

If you go back to Bjorn's test where they compared the X, I-Pace and eTron, the I-Pace was much more efficient than the X at and below 50mph. This was because of lower mass and far more efficient motors. It loses out at speeds above 65mph due to the design of the airflow around the car - software won't change that.
A cruise mode which only uses 1 motor must give better efficiency. JLR have confirmed that it can run at 1 motor up to 30 mph so allowing it to increase that limit to 60 mph cant be too tricky? Or why do they use 1 motor below 30 mph if it dont improve efficiency??

#13 ·
FENorway said:
Chewy said:
FENorway said:

A cruise mode which only uses 1 motor must give better efficiency. JLR have confirmed that it can run at 1 motor up to 30 mph so allowing it to increase that limit to 60 mph cant be too tricky? Or why do they use 1 motor below 30 mph if it dont improve efficiency??
No, the motors are equally efficient in the speed range 18mph to 92mph. Jaguar developed the PM motors used in the I-Pace themselves.

Tesla use cheap motors that have efficiency heavily influenced by the amount of loading on the motor. When their Induction motor is lightly loaded it is not efficient. By switching the Induction motor off they can transfer it's load to the other motor, which in the newer cars is the PM motor.

#15 ·
jason.birchall said:
1 motor, maybe twice the load?
Yep, works for those really inefficient Tesla Asynchronous Induction Motors :)

Jaguar has put a lot of design effort into the motors in the I-Pace. Dr Ziebart has said they are better than 95% efficient in the speed range 18mph to 92mph. There may be a tiny gain to be made by loading one more, but it will be negligible. Getting better than 95% efficiency out of a commercially viable PM motor is unlikely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.