Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Another Ipace coming to the Dutch roads

8K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  antonlissone 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I can also call myself "a future Jaguar Ipace owner" and ordered my new Ipace in the beginning of March through my companies lease company. This because my current Volvo V60 PIH is at the end of it's lease contract at the end of this year.

After a long time second guessing between a ModelS and the Ipace, I decided to go with something new (since we've already got 5 ModelS' at our company) and chose the Ipace, despite the Ipaces' dramatic charging possibilities. But that's something I'm going to have to cope with and hope Jaguar comes with a 3 fase charging upgrade or something.....

In de meantime I think the only serious option for me is to buy is the Dynamic Load Balancing charger from the New Motion and hopefully the Ipace can fully charge during the night.

Eventually (after a lot of configuring, sleeples nights and scanning Social Media for pictures/videos) I've chosen the following;

Ipace SE
Corris Grey
Drive Pack
Black exterior pack
20" spoke Gloss Black
Privacy Glass
Ebony (Mozine) upholstery complete
360 surround camera

Cheers!

Erwin

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello Erwin,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your I-pace order - what delivery date did your lease company advise?

With regards to "upgrade" of 3 phase charger sorry to give you bad news but that is already ruled out to be possible by Jaguar. If the car is delivered with single phase charger the message is that it is not possible to later upgrade it to a 3 phase charger.

In terms of DC charging speed - here the message is that the 100kw/h could potentially be increased through software updates although nothing officially confirmed.

Regards
Jelle

#3 ·
Hi Jelle,

Thanks! unfortunately nothing specific yet. the expected date of delivery when ordering was 20 december and is still is.

Ahh ok, the last thing I've heard is that Jaguar was looking in to this, but obviously that is old news, so no options there then :(
What a shame!

The thing is, due to the km I drive in a day, I definitely need a "safe home base" were I can leave my house in the morning fully loaded and get through the day charging at the normal public charging points once I'm in a meeting with customers. The additional km's I'm charging there should be enough to make it through the day.

Hope that the New motion unit will work for me otherwise the last and final option would be upgrading my electrical connection at home to 3x35amp I guess.
How are you going to arrange things for charging at home?

Cheers,

Erwin

#4 ·
Erwinn said:
Hi Jelle,

Thanks! unfortunately nothing specific yet. the expected date of delivery when ordering was 20 december and is still is.

Ahh ok, the last thing I've heard is that Jaguar was looking in to this, but obviously that is old news, so no options there then :(
What a shame!

The thing is, due to the km I drive in a day, I definitely need a "safe home base" were I can leave my house in the morning fully loaded and get through the day charging at the normal public charging points once I'm in a meeting with customers. The additional km's I'm charging there should be enough to make it through the day.

Hope that the New motion unit will work for me otherwise the last and final option would be upgrading my electrical connection at home to 3x35amp I guess.
How are you going to arrange things for charging at home?

Cheers,

Erwin
Who knows maybe Jaguar surprises us and they will pull forward the introduction of 3 phase charging just in time for our cars to be produced. Current timeline advised is end 2019 for 3 phase charger, I still have silent hope that we would be able to upgrade at a later stage. Still very weird that Renault Zoe does have 3 phase 32A charger but Jaguar I-pace does not.

For me daily charging is less relevant as I live just 7km from work and at work there will be a 32A charger, at home I have 1x 35A connection but max fuse is 16A so without 3 phase charger no point to change to 3x 25A. My issue is more the 2 or 3 times per year that I make long distance trips so >1000kms 1 way that will be challenging particularly the Eastern European part so hoping Ionity moves faster than currently planned.

My lease car is ordered through Athlon and they so far advised me wk48 delivery, the dealer was not yet able to advise anything. Did get an general email today from the dealer that they expect that all already sold I-paces will have a production/delivery plan early June.

PS: My local Lidl has 2 free fast chargers each with 50kw DC CCS or 44kw AC mode 2 or Cadmo method.

#7 ·
ACB1 said:
A solution is a DC charger. I have seen one from 3 phase AC 16A to DC with CCS combo 2 11kW. (fast Charging).
Only the price is a little higher than a normal AC charger. (www.setec-power.com) (around $ 3.000)
Yep aware of that solution - already sent them an email earlier asking for price including shipping but so far no reply. Also asked for price of 2 units, 5 units and 10 units to see if that gives a considerable saving so that maybe multiple forum members can jointly order them.

#8 ·
Email from Setec - unclear if below price includes or excludes shipping:
The unit price for our 10kw ccs ev charger for one pcs order is USD2650.
The unit price for our 10kw ccs ev charger for 5 pcs order is USD2580.
The unit price for our 10kw ccs ev charger for 10 pcs order is USD2500.

With this portable (20kg) charger you could connect to a 3 phase 16A charger at home, plug that into the portable charger and then from the portable charger plug into DC CCS charger of your car. This should allow you to charge with 10kw/h at home instead of 3.5kw.

#10 ·
@Erwin, that sounds like quite a risk if you need a full battery and a charge at client in order to make it home.

If it is going to be very close, and you want a relaxed ride, you'd better settle for the 18" wheels. That might give you an additional 10% range (based on Tesla numbers, it might differ for the ipace). Check the wheels thread for details.

#11 ·
DutchIpaceOwner said:
@Erwin, that sounds like quite a risk if you need a full battery and a charge at client in order to make it home.

If it is going to be very close, and you want a relaxed ride, you'd better settle for the 18" wheels. That might give you an additional 10% range (based on Tesla numbers, it might differ for the ipace). Check the wheels thread for details.
Thanks for the heads up! Yes that is to be expected indeed, at least looking at the figures and what I've seen with the Tesla's in our companies fleet.
But it looks so much better with the 20" wheels (no offense of course!)

But do you think it's not possible to fully charge the Ipace during the night keeping in mind that there either, is a new motion dynamic load balancing charger who tries to reach the 32 ampere as much as possible or, in the worst case, a 1 x 35 ampere available (expensive but only just a little bit more than a portable charger)?

In average I drive 175 to 250 km per day from home to, in average, 2 customers and back home. So with some incidental charging along the way, adding maybe 15 or 30 km, I would still make it home based on a fully charged Ipace in the morning. The only thing I have to keep in mind are possible activities in the evening where the car would be required, but on the other hand, there are 3 Fastned chargers within 5 km's from my house, and all activities during the weekdays are in a range of 20 km.

Maybe I'm to optimistic but I hope not :)

#12 ·
Erwinn said:
But do you think it's not possible to fully charge the Ipace during the night keeping in mind that there either, is a new motion dynamic load balancing charger who tries to reach the 32 ampere as much as possible or, in the worst case, a 1 x 35 ampere available (expensive but only just a little bit more than a portable charger)?
Be advised that with 1x 35A connection - the max the car can load is 3.5kw. The max fuse you have is 16A so that limits you even with that new motion load balancing I doubt it gives you more than 16A * 220volt = 3.52kw per hour.

Erwinn said:
but on the other hand, there are 3 Fastned chargers within 5 km's from my house, and all activities during the weekdays are in a range of 20 km.
That is your solution although time consuming but depending on the km you drove that day - time at home to charge * 3.5kw - you can stop for 15-60 minutes at the Fastned charging station. Currently that is mostly 50kw but there are already 4 upgraded to 175kw so then you can use the max of the 100kw DC charger. If you charge 30mins at 100kw and then 10hours at home at 3.5kw that already gives you almost a full battery. There will be more DC charging stations in months/years to come so between appointments or on your way home you can always stop there.

The Setec solution seems to cost incl shipping approx $3000 or €2500, maybe get it as an accessory within your company car lease budget - that way it doesn't cost you anything. Then only ask your network company to change the 1x 35A to 3x 25A connection, have a 3 phase 16A wallbox installed at home and you can charge at 10kw per hour at home. The connection change probably is 1 time €500 (to change your meterbox in your house) but there is no extra monthly connection or transport fee.

#13 ·
There is a Dutch importer who supplies the Setec products from stock. This saves you the hassle of importing yourselves, paying shipping & duties etc. And probably easier to deal with in case of warranty issues.
Check Twitter: @gideongoudsmit

G
#15 ·
okus said:
But the problem is the Jag's onboard charger is only one phase - so 3-phase is no solution. I would expect charging time 0-100% with 16A current (3,7kW) about 30hrs ...
I just wanted to add to this topic as many people are commenting on it.

At 3.7kw (16A) and 8 hours of charge per night, that is an average charge range of 90-100 miles.

If your daily commute is less than 100miles (assuming you can't top up at work) ... then a single phase 16A will suffice most of the time. If you get back home on a Sunday and the car is at 3% ... then yes on the way to work, might be a good idea to find a superfast charger to top up a little more for 15mins.

However if your daily drive is more than 100miles per day and you can only get a 16A 3.7kw charge at home, then you either need to find somewhere to supercharge daily to top the car up before going home, or look at another solution or car.

While this might not be suitable for everyone, these are the options.

#17 ·
Taxjag said:
Guys,

This information about a charger was sent to me last week. It's converting 3-phase AC into 1 phase AC. With 3 x 16A you can charge 6.0 kWh.

https://www.snelautoladen.nl/product/magnum-smart-charger-type-2-6kw/

It still costs 1.575 euro (including 21% VAT), but is a lot cheaper then the Setec. So options are coming on the market.
Yes it is cheaper but also less good - the Setec solution comes to approx €2500 incl shipping but can then charge 10kw not 6kw. The other major question is how much energie loss there is because 3 phase 16A charging on a Tesla gives 11kw charging so a 5kw loss, not sure if that is just capacity or real energie loss.

For the moment I will wait and see - my main issue is long trips not daily trips. But for Erwin this could be a solution - maybe also easier to use. For those in NL that are leasing the car it would be great if you can add it to the car lease as an accessory.

#18 ·
Hi Jelle, I've asked the vendor the same question about the energy loss. According to him it's 5%. The net-return is 95%. That would be nice. It's a solution many of us with 3 phase at home can work with. More then 7,2 kWh is the I pace not going to use.

#19 ·
Taxjag said:
Hi Jelle, I've asked the vendor the same question about the energy loss. According to him it's 5%. The net-return is 95%. That would be nice. It's a solution many of us with 3 phase at home can work with. More then 7,2 kWh is the I pace not going to use.
Well it is certainly better than 3.2 kwh per hour - still weird that 3 phase 16 A converted to 1 phase only gives 6kw and not more.
The Setec solution would would convert AC power in to DC power out and therefore be able to charge 10kw DC.

That company also sells the Setec 10kw DC converter but their price is €6,250 quite a bit more than ordering direct :)
https://www.snelautoladen.nl/product/mobiele-10kw-dc-lader-chademo/

#20 ·
Hi, there might be another option. Webasto is launching a new charger for home DC charging. Probably beginning 2019. Prices will be known around October. I've talked to them about it and they're trying to get it in the 3K Eur range - but they cannot state anything on this.

https://webasto-charging.com/

Find the Webasto Life.

It uses 3x25A as input and converts it into 24KW DC Charge which the IPace can take.

#21 ·
antonlissone said:
Hi, there might be another option. Webasto is launching a new charger for home DC charging. Probably beginning 2019. Prices will be known around October. I've talked to them about it and they're trying to get it in the 3K Eur range - but they cannot state anything on this.

https://webasto-charging.com/

Find the Webasto Life.

It uses 3x25A as input and converts it into 24KW DC Charge which the IPace can take.
Thanks for the information - I think more and more of these type of solutions will come as BEV market develops and hopefully it will then also start reducing the price.

This particular solution looks very promising although bit confused how 3x 25A can generate 24kw DC charger if you consider that 3x 32A gives you 22kw. Also the max you can probably use is 3x 20A as you still need free amps for your house.

I just checked the website and the 24kw is with 800v so on 400v it would be 12kw which makes sense if you take 3x 220v * 20a is approx 12kw.

#22 ·
After several days searching available wallboxes I decided for this solution:

Since I already have reserved current capacity for the house 3x25A I will purchase wallbox capable of charging multiple current levels 16-20-25-32A/one phase.
I will also let change the utilisation of the 3 phases so that one phase will remain unused for the house and be reserved for wallbox charging. This shoud prevent current capacity shortage due to electricity consumption in the house.

If this doesn't work I can still apply for increasing reserved current capacity to 3x32A.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.