Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Home Charging

138K views 363 replies 85 participants last post by  dcuish 
#1 ·
I've seen many different threads which end up in discussions about home charging and many discussing different solutions for those with a 3 phase wiring system in their home.

As I normally garage my car overnight, I'm seriously considering the radical option of doing nothing i.e. not installing a home charging wall box and just plugging into a normal mains socket. My commute is around 30km per day and with the odd trip here and there, I might go up to 60km. However, I figure that if I can plug in my car for around 10 hours per night (which will be the case most nights), I'll get about 100km charge so will be in credit most days. Even if I'm almost empty after a long journey, as long as I can plug it in overnight, my credit will soon build up where I'll be back to 80% charge again. If I need the charge again more quickly, I could always take it to a DCFC for an hour and I'll be fine.

It'll also save me almost €2,000 to install the wall box. When more info and more options come out to make use of the 3 phases available, I might then think to install one.

I know everyone's case is different and my commute is less than the average persons. but I was wondering if others will consider the same.

See less See more
#277 ·
r0bs0n said:
My car has been charging since Monday 09:23 now.. so that's 46 hours already. I started with 23% and now I have 85%. In total some 220km was added ti the range.

The remote app shows me that only 1% is added per hour and when I started the total charging time indicated 50+ hours.

I have it hooked up to a modified tesla charger at work with a type 2 connector.

Does this (lack of) charging speed sound familiar to fellow Dutch I-pace owners that charge at home or at work?
Well not as bad as that - I am only getting 3-4% from a 3 phase 32A AC charger at work while that should be 8-9%. In terms of charging so far only the 50kW chargers are delivering as it should be.

#278 ·
That's about 1.5% per hour
Assuming 100% is ~85kWh, then 1.5% per hour = a charge rate of just 1.2kW (that is just 5 amps at 230v input)

The max charge rate from a 11kW 3p charger is ~3.7kW, and from a 22kW 3p charger is ~7.4kW

Sounds poor, but really your question can only be answered if you tell us what the expected max. charge rate of your "modified tesla charger" is ?

#279 ·
r0bs0n said:
My car has been charging since Monday 09:23 now.. so that's 46 hours already. I started with 23% and now I have 85%. In total some 220km was added ti the range. The remote app shows me that only 1% is added per hour and when I started the total charging time indicated 50+ hours.

I have it hooked up to a modified tesla charger at work with a type 2 connector.

Does this (lack of) charging speed sound familiar to fellow Dutch I-pace owners that charge at home or at work?
I currently drive a Nissan Leaf 2.Zero and that one uses the maximum power from my home charger. My charger is 24A / 5.5kW due to the 3x25A home connection I have. If all works well, I will receive my i-pace on Friday and can tell you soon after if it took the 5.5kW as well.

Do you have a public charging subscription? I have a New Motion card and in their portal, you can see both duration and energy consumed. So what I did with another car is connect it, let it charge for 15 minutes and disconnect it. Multiply the number of kWh received by four and you know the charging speed it received. Maybe you can do a similar test?

#280 ·
r0bs0n said:
My car has been charging since Monday 09:23 now.. so that's 46 hours already. I started with 23% and now I have 85%. In total some 220km was added ti the range.

The remote app shows me that only 1% is added per hour and when I started the total charging time indicated 50+ hours.

That is really low. As my daily commute is not so long, I simply connect to a normal wall socket which I believe is delivering 10A. Even with this, I get 2% charge added by hour. This is regardless of the SOC i.e. even above 80 or 90%.

#281 ·
vovvw said:
Does anyone use NRGkick charger?
Charging i-pace successful?
No, but i spoke to them at an EV-event in Austria/Spielberg racetrack. They said that NRGkick is fully compatible with the I-Pace. I had a look at NRGkick but my final decision went for another device.

#283 ·
I think you may be mistaken unless I have misunderstood you. There is no "supplied charger" as such. If you want to charge your car at home in a reasonably sensible amount of time like overight you need to install a 7kw home charger which you can get from a variety of suppliers including Chargemaster who Jaguar recommend and for which you get a £500 government OLEV grant leaving you with a few hundred pounds more to pay depending on the installation location and your home consumer unit/fuse board. Thgese are all safe to install either inside a garage or outdoors but to qualify for the government grant you need to have off road parking. Otherwise you have to simply use a normal plug which will take 3 days to charge your car or you need to go to a public charger. The onboard charger inside the car is there to convert AC power from either a plug or a home charger or an AC public charger to the car. Hope that all makes sense.

#287 ·
I don't know what it is supposed to deliver, but it's an official Tesla charger installed at work, with a type 2 charger.

At 50Kw my charging actually went faster than at the Fastned 175Kw charger, not sure what that is all about?

Highest % I have seen in the app while charging is 69% per hour I guess.

#289 ·
d111112 said:
No, but i spoke to them at an EV-event in Austria/Spielberg racetrack. They said that NRGkick is fully compatible with the I-Pace. I had a look at NRGkick but my final decision went for another device.
I looked at the GO-E charger, and at the price and in terms of functionality, it turns out more interesting. There are 7.4kW single phase option.

#290 ·
vovvw said:
d111112 said:
I looked at the GO-E charger, and at the price and in terms of functionality, it turns out more interesting. There are 7.4kW single phase option.
Exactly, I bought a Go-E charger. You can also go for the 3-phase 22kw version, it supports the 7,4kw 1-phase operation mode, too. I took the 22kw version to be future proof in case I get another car or a second one that has a 2 or 3-phase onboard charger. I like the device, support is more then good and they react really helpful and quick to community feedback with new OTA updates and help on technical issues.

G
#292 ·
Baikar said:
I have a question regarding the charger supplied with the car. I am having a home charger fitted in February but my car will arrive hopefully mid January. Is the supplied charger weather proof so that I can leave it plugged in overnight?
The supplied charger that connects into a 3 pin UK mains socket is weather-proof from the car to the cable that goes into the three pin plug, but, of course the 3-pin plug and socket is not designed to be weather-proof, so you will need that too be sealed in the normal way for outside sockets.

I have used mine happily over the past week, and the only issue to bear in mind is that the mains cable is significantly thicker than normal, so the closing of my weather proof cover on the mains socket is tighter than normal.

(PS: the UK charger unit is significantly chunkier than the one in your photo).

#294 ·
vovvw said:
d111112 said:
I like the device, support is more then good and they react really helpful and quick to community feedback with new OTA updates and help on technical issues.
And where do they get community feedback? I want to see and read the reviews of the owners. Is there a forum?
A good place is the forum https://www.goingelectric.de/forum/
It's in german language. In the section "Ladeequipment" you'll find some stuff.

#296 ·
Not sure if this will be useful to anyone. I just discovered that Scottish Power will now install a Wallbox Pulsar" charger. It's a Bluetooth enabled app controlled charger that includes scheduling. I was planning to wait for the new Zappi to come out, but this one seems to do everything i need. Ok the control is only Bluetooth but the advantage of that is that I'm not reliant on external servers working properly (or the company continuing to trade). Looked to be exactly what I wanted so I've ordered one.

#297 ·
I started a thread in the "off topic" area about the Zappi and will update it when i get the "hub" and the remote control, might be useful to start a new thread with some info and your views about the pulsar when you get it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.