Tesla Supercharger network to be opened to rival EVs

The place to discuss everything else..
elbocko

Re: Tesla Supercharger network to be opened to rival EVs

Post by elbocko » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:17 pm

There seems to be a lot of blame on Elon Musk going on here. His company paid for and installed large numbers of chargers so that his customers who bought his cars could charge them. IT encourage the adoption of Tesla vehicles and he deserves congratulating for his efforts. It seems very unjust to me to blame Tesla for supporting their customers while other vehicle suppliers are just letting the market place sort it out. I own and love my I-Pace but JLR produced a vehicle and then said "You bought the vehicle, you sort it out".
El Bocko

E 2ERO, SE, Firenze Red, MY19, 18". Still loving it.
Infotainment - S21A_21.10.6-676616 as at 13/5/2021
Vehicle Connectivity system 19.2 as at 20/4/2021
Battery Energy Control System: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE
H288 completed

EEV320

Post by EEV320 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:30 pm

Honestly, I never see the superchargers very occupied. Imho it’d be a win for Tesla if other drivers pay for the service to use them.
Economy of scale will be better for them as well.

And like others, I think it’s kinda useless to have 10 supercharger stalls, 2 ionity and 4 fastned nextctobeach other.
That’s too much load on the basic Infrastructure and nobody will need so many.
Just open it and have it paid.
EV320SE MY2021
German spec.
Eiger grey, black pack, drivers assistance pack, WiFi hotspot
Software 2.0.10e

chicken george

Post by chicken george » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:50 pm

Can a row of superchargers all operate at 100% at the same time or does max occupancy result in powersharing at a reduced rate?
I know my home charger has this share facility if you were to install a number of them outside a work place for example

Delta5

Post by Delta5 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:06 am

Tesla would have paid much less than the current connection charges for the super chargers they have now, they are grossly underused because most owners charge at home. It makes business sense to have them open to all now and take a margin on the power supplied. With many brands coming online with EVs Tesla does not have the dominance of 5yrs ago, so make what it can out of existing network that is already paid for.

20 yrs ago new connections were very easy, now they cost an arm and a leg because the whole network is being upgraded
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior, Air suspension, 18in wheels, Drivers pack, 360. arrived 16th July, very nice.