Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Tesla Supercharger network to be opened to rival EVs

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Delta5 
#1 ·
Other electric cars will soon be able to use Tesla's network of chargers, says CEO Elon Musk
It will probably happen sooner in Europe than it will in the States as SC's already have CCS here.

I have to ask though - will it really happen? I'm sure it will upset many Tesla owners.

Personally I'm glad, as having a private club that is actually using (& hogging) public infrastructure I think is wrong.
Just my opinion.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/electric-cars/tesla-supercharger-network-be-opened-rival-evs

#2 ·
He says anything to get in the papers, I do not believe a word that comes out of that guys mouth. Would be good if it happens but would like to see action not words. I think in the UK though this is something that the CMA may take an interest in as Tesla has a dominant share of the EV market.

#3 ·
Same for Germany. Our minister said he is looking into it, which normally means we're gonna pay 10millions to consulting, then make smth that doesn't work out, and get a lawsuit in the end.
But that's another story.

#5 ·
chicken george said:
You say tesla are hogging public infrastucture, but they cant just connect to the grid wherever they like , they will be paying a substantial grid connection fee for each of their charger sites
The CMA test is whether there is a distortion of normal competitive forces regardless of how that infrastructure arose. I would use the banks as an example who were effectively forced to open up their platforms to third parties via UK imposed competition remedies long before the abortion that is PSD2 came into effect in the EU.

If lack of infrastructure is a significant factor in driving customers to Tesla then the CMA are compelled to address this problem. Just because a company has built up a dominant position legitimately it doesn't mean that is protected from the consequence of effectively controlling the market that results.

Its better of course if you are that company to pre-empt all this and respond well before you need to especially if you want to be a player in the inevitable car industry consolidation that will happen over the next 5 years.

#6 ·
either way if they have paid for the grid connection they wont be flogging cheap leccy to non tesla drivers, they will want a good market value.
Although you never truly own a grid connection, its possible to connect to a connection that some one else paid for.

A friend paid 10k or so to upgrade his farms transformer, a few years later the neigbour was allowed to connect to that transformer, the transformer is on the boundry of the two properties and there was little could be done to stop it. So basically if my friend wants more power in the future he will have to pay to upgrade again.

#7 ·
chicken george said:
either way if they have paid for the grid connection they wont be flogging cheap leccy to non tesla drivers, they will want a good market value.
Although you never truly own a grid connection, its possible to connect to a connection that some one else paid for.

A friend paid 10k or so to upgrade his farms transformer, a few years later the neigbour was allowed to connect to that transformer, the transformer is on the boundry of the two properties and there was little could be done to stop it. So basically if my friend wants more power in the future he will have to pay to upgrade again.
If the CMA directs them to open up their connectivity it will also set the prices which I suspect would be pitched at the same level as for Tesla Pay Per Use drivers or it's not much of a remedy.

If Tesla pre-empt this by opening up voluntarily they will retain some sort of price control but of they sought to discriminate heavily in favour of Tesla drivers on pricing that in itself could have CMA repercussions.

#8 ·
Wouldnt have a problem with different prices for tesla owners vs other brands, for as long as the chargers are tesla branded.

Im not a tesla fan, but you have to respect the good they have done to EV promotion/confidence. They deseve some payback on the bold investment.

#10 ·
bully for them really, but if I built a winning charger network, Id be short of expansion ideas if govt started clamping down on my fees/income.

One guy on the farming forum is looking at £360k + bill to upgrade his connection to 500kva+ to power industrial ovens, These large connections are not cheap and as said you do not own the equipment after paying

#11 ·
There seems to be a lot of blame on Elon Musk going on here. His company paid for and installed large numbers of chargers so that his customers who bought his cars could charge them. IT encourage the adoption of Tesla vehicles and he deserves congratulating for his efforts. It seems very unjust to me to blame Tesla for supporting their customers while other vehicle suppliers are just letting the market place sort it out. I own and love my I-Pace but JLR produced a vehicle and then said "You bought the vehicle, you sort it out".

#12 ·
Honestly, I never see the superchargers very occupied. Imho it'd be a win for Tesla if other drivers pay for the service to use them.
Economy of scale will be better for them as well.

And like others, I think it's kinda useless to have 10 supercharger stalls, 2 ionity and 4 fastned nextctobeach other.
That's too much load on the basic Infrastructure and nobody will need so many.
Just open it and have it paid.

#13 ·
Can a row of superchargers all operate at 100% at the same time or does max occupancy result in powersharing at a reduced rate?
I know my home charger has this share facility if you were to install a number of them outside a work place for example

#14 ·
Tesla would have paid much less than the current connection charges for the super chargers they have now, they are grossly underused because most owners charge at home. It makes business sense to have them open to all now and take a margin on the power supplied. With many brands coming online with EVs Tesla does not have the dominance of 5yrs ago, so make what it can out of existing network that is already paid for.

20 yrs ago new connections were very easy, now they cost an arm and a leg because the whole network is being upgraded

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.