Change my mind please / can anyone relate?

The place to discuss everything else..
Caprica

Change my mind please / can anyone relate?

Post by Caprica » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:30 pm

I'm struggling here:
For my work, I drive the Ipace every day, every appointment which requires me to drive more than 200km I change to an ICE, in the worst case I need to rent one if there isn't one available from the company.

For a meeting, I had to drive to Switzerland from Germany last week. I planned the trip for my Ipace, just to see how long it would take me. If I would be lucky (chargers working, available and the Ipace liking the connection) it would mean that it would have a total travel of approx. 11-11.5 hours. With an ICE it was 8 hours. Keep in mind that I won't go faster than 100/110 with the Ipace and it won't be the first time that a charger wouldn't be available or worst case, another 1-2 cars need charging as well. Range anxiety is something I have lost over the course, but charging station availability anxiety (CSAA, there, I said it first! :lol:) is being it's replacer nowadays :lol:

When I got back from Switzerland and back into the Ipace it struck me; "what am I doing exactly". I love this car so much, but it becomes increasingly annoying. This morning I really started to miss my A5 3.0 TDI V6 that got me half around the world on a full tank (figuratively speaking of course....) while driving a constant 150 on the German highway. I can say I'm starting to feel exhausted:

Constant planning of charging stations, destination etc
The slow charging of EV's (and the Ipace in particular)
The long distance driving 100/110km/h on the highway including charging sessions: company appointments more than 200km away are simply not done. I can't spend my time as efficient as I should be and can't really plan multiple visits to different companies like I did in the past.
Increasingly busy charging stations that also, on top of that, start to increase their pricings like Ionity which I used a lot
Taking the EV on holiday with 2 young impatient kids is not really a relaxing start of a holiday as well (I tried a few times :lol:)

From this morning I really started doubting and even longing back to my "old" diesel. The Ipace is my only car, the constant switching with colleagues or even renting a car to get me where I need to go isn't something I can keep doing. I start to feel tired, exhausted. Maybe I did the "transition" to EV too soon? Am I the only one in this situation? I increasingly travel abroad a lot by car and I can't own 2 cars, that isn't an option sadly....

Bart

Re: Change my mind please / can anyone relate?

Post by Bart » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:07 pm

You can't change the physics, but you can change your mindset.

Fortunately I don't have to drive long distances that often, but the times when I have to, I really love it, and actually enjoy the more relaxed driving: listening to podcasts (there are really good ones out there), listening to good music. This all is easier as the ipace is really quiet imo.
While charging I watch a movie, go for a short walk, read/reply to emails etc. But you have to get rid of the pressure of arriving "on time". You will get there when you get there. Forget about the overstressed Audi-drivers that pass you by ;)

With regard to CSAA: not applicable in Germany as at almost every petrol station along the highway there are fastchargers (50kW). There are plenty more besides IONITY. Interestingly, in Germany they are really well indicated (signs at exits).
Corris Grey -- Model S --, Black Exterior Pack, 20" 5-split spoke 5070, Air-suspension, HUD, DAB+,
Heated Windscreen, Heated Steering Wheel
--
In control (OTA): S20A_20.16.5-536345 -- H264 -- connectivity 15.2
Ordered 04-2018, Delivered 12-2018

mclarenpaul

Post by mclarenpaul » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:59 pm

Unfortunately the iPace sucks at charging and is not so efficient, so when you get to a charger that works, which is going to be more often due to the inefficiency, it's going to take you longer to charge - a double whammy. Even with the cost, ionity is your best option. Try with a maingau card as this should reduce it a bit, especially in Germany.
I Pace EV400 FE, Corris Grey, options: Oyster leather, 20' wheels, MY19, delivered 12/2018
InControl: S19B|| Telematics: Version 16.2

mclarenpaul

Post by mclarenpaul » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:03 pm

P.s. I can relate as I’ve been there with a 7 hour journey through France taking 12 hours - same story on the return leg.
I Pace EV400 FE, Corris Grey, options: Oyster leather, 20' wheels, MY19, delivered 12/2018
InControl: S19B|| Telematics: Version 16.2

Delta5

Post by Delta5 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:37 pm

My sympathy to those who need to keep appointments some distance from base, I’m lucky being retired and can be relaxed about the 10% of journeys that will need enroute charging . However today I have been planning journeys from base using ZapMap and the number of rapid chargers that are not active is very concerning. For instance a trip from home to the New Forest where there are very few chargers or even hotels with chargers available, would be questionable. The Lake District on the other hand looks well served
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior, Air suspension, 18in wheels, Drivers pack, 360. arrived 16th July, very nice.

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:40 pm

Delta5 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:37 pm
My sympathy to those who need to keep appointments some distance from base, I’m lucky being retired and can be relaxed about the 10% of journeys that will need enroute charging . However today I have been planning journeys from base using ZapMap and the number of rapid chargers that are not active is very concerning. For instance a trip from home to the New Forest where there are very few chargers or even hotels with chargers available, would be questionable. The Lake District on the other hand looks well served
Yes the Lake District has quite a few chargers, many types and speeds. Even the odd free ones at garden centres and the like.
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 Black, full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc
InControlTouch Pro: S20A_20.16.5-536345 Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 - H228, H264, H270

holderone

Post by holderone » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:30 pm

Yes a journey for mor than 150 miles becomes intolerable in my opinion. I do 25k plus miles a year and most of my journeys are around 130 miles each way which means a dingle 45 minute charge stop is okay. If I have to do a 200 mile return journey it requires @ stops at 45 minutes which is starting to get difficult especially if you add traffic conditions and bad weather to the journey.

Re New Forest I go there regularly and the Lymington Polar charger is excellent and usually available.
1st edition, Corris grey, 22 Inch Alloys
IMC:19a telematics:14.2

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:10 am

If you are in a hurry when traveling and see charging time as a waste then an BEV is not for you, certainly not the I-pace which is far less practical for longer trips than Tesla, E-tron or Kona/Niro.

If time is important than drive 120/130km/h not 100/110km/h because driving time saved will be greater than extra charging time needed.

After the initial leg it is faster to drive 2x 120km with an extra charging stop than 1x 240km. This is due to charging speed tapering off from approx 50/55%.

I am surprised you suffer of CSAA (nice acronym and indeed the far bigger issue than range anxiety as I described last April in a post) when driving between DE and CH considering the large amount of HPC in that area (Ionity, Fastned, SwissCharge, Innogy). Last summer I went with the family to Northern Italy from NL (just over 1000km) and already then there were plenty of HPC, the trip back took just under 12hrs. (85km/hour incl charging)

Last there are 2 key things an BEV driver must do when doing long distance BEV trips.
1) mindset change - accept the longer travel time
2) make charging time useful/productive - have a meal, read a book/magazine, do emails/work, take a long walk, watch Netflix etc.
I-pace S + HUD + Drive Pack + Light Oyster Sport Seats + Tailgate I Ceasium Blue | 18" wheels
Infotainment 20A + Telematics 18.2 | ODO 53.200km | 2020 Efficiency 203watt/km.

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:14 am

Jelle v/d Meer wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:10 am
If you are in a hurry when traveling and see charging time as a waste then an BEV is not for you, certainly not the I-pace which is far less practical for longer trips than Tesla, E-tron or Kona/Niro.

If time is important than drive 120/130km/h not 100/110km/h because driving time saved will be greater than extra charging time needed.

After the initial leg it is faster to drive 2x 120km with an extra charging stop than 1x 240km. This is due to charging speed tapering off from approx 50/55%.

I am surprised you suffer of CSAA (nice acronym and indeed the far bigger issue than range anxiety as I described last April in a post) when driving between DE and CH considering the large amount of HPC in that area (Ionity, Fastned, SwissCharge, Innogy). Last summer I went with the family to Northern Italy from NL (just over 1000km) and already then there were plenty of HPC, the trip back took just under 12hrs. (85km/hour incl charging)

Last there are 2 key things an BEV driver must do when doing long distance BEV trips.
1) mindset change - accept the longer travel time
2) make charging time useful/productive - have a meal, read a book/magazine, do emails/work, take a long walk, watch Netflix etc.
I'd add the following

3) Have a cat nap (a short sleep). 10-20 minutes can be very beneficial. I used to annoy my wife by doing this once we'd gotten onto a plane. While everyone else was faffing around, I was away with the fairies. She couldn't relax.

The thing to remember is that my giving yourself time, you will arrive at your destination in a far better frame of mind and body than if you hurried and rush and drove well over the speed limit just to get there.

I used to rush everywhere and often barely made it to my destination on time. Then I messed up and missed a flight from Tashkent to Delhi . The next one I could get space on was two days later. I never rushed again.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S20A_20.07.5-507626 Maps : whatever is current.

malakai

Post by malakai » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:38 pm

Caprica wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:30 pm
I'm struggling here:
For my work, I drive the Ipace every day, every appointment which requires me to drive more than 200km I change to an ICE, in the worst case I need to rent one if there isn't one available from the company.
[...]
When I got back from Switzerland and back into the Ipace it struck me; "what am I doing exactly". I love this car so much, but it becomes increasingly annoying. This morning I really started to miss my A5 3.0 TDI V6 that got me half around the world on a full tank (figuratively speaking of course....) while driving a constant 150 on the German highway. I can say I'm starting to feel exhausted:
[...]
Maybe I did the "transition" to EV too soon?
Let me ask you this: if your job was to make deliveries of loose, high grade topsoil, a cubic meter per order, to customers within a 20km radius so that charging and range were no longer an issue, would you choose an IPace or an Audi A5 TDI for the job?

Any kind of car, electric or diesel, can haul topsoil if you need it to. It'll take a lot more time, it will be more effort, and a truck is certainly the better vehicle for the task, but any car can deliver dirt. Just like any EV can go on a long distance road trip. Once in a while, its no big deal. Doing it every week? You probably need to rethink your choice of transportation and get something more suited to your task.

You didn't transition to EV too soon, you simply purchased a vehicle that doesn't mesh well with your requirements for it.
😸 ⚡ 2019 I-Pace HSE EV400 / Silicon Silver, Black / Siena Tan, Ebony, Oyster / 20" 5068's
🇺🇸 ✋ Detroit Michigan