Are BEVs the solution ?

The place to discuss everything else..
Goshdarnit

Re: Are BEVs the solution ?

Post by Goshdarnit » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:41 am

I think the use case for Hydrogen as it stands today is better for heavy vehicle uses. There are BEV trucks but the charging infrastructure required for them will be hugely expensive and make huge demands on the grid if done in numbers.

The hydrogen infrastructure is easier incorporate into organisations which operate from depots and ports. I could see a time where those industries also make their hydrogen available for people to purchase and possibly could see the public infrastructure expanding that way initially. We’re a long way off, but I have no doubt that hydrogen has a part to play in the transport industry generally. Also very useful in aviation and drones, again with easy positioning of infrastructure as the number of airports is significantly lower than the number of drones.

Fuel cells can also be used to replace conventional boilers in homes and work places. There are significant uses and opportunities for the technology and it is a lot further advanced than it was. Indeed, a few fuel cell based companies are producing significant order books these days and most car companies are working on them behind the scenes (partially as a “cover all the options” strategy rather than as any serious commitment).

For now, BEVs work for most people’s domestic needs. Outside of this is where it gets interesting in the short term. But where the industry goes in the longer term is anyone’s guess.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.24.2-375121 Telematics: 14.2
Last update: 26/08/19

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands

TeslaDriver

Post by TeslaDriver » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:39 pm

Goshdarnit wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:41 am
Fuel cells can also be used to replace conventional boilers in homes and work places.
Hadn't considered that use-case, interesting.

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:04 pm

I believe BEV are the future - yes there are some BIG challenges ahead but with more and more people driving BEV there is also more and more attention to the needs of these BEV cars including charging infrastructure.

Over the next 10-15 years I expect the efficiency to improve with minimal 20%, the battery capacity per kg to at least double and the price per kWh to drop by minimal 50%. In that sense it is no different than if you look at the early ICE cars in the 1930, 40, 50 compared to today's ICE cars in terms of efficiency, power and drive ability.

Norway has already shown it is possible and some other countries like NL there is ever growing fleet of BEV.
Today it was reported that for the first 9 months of this year BEV cars overtook Diesel cars in absolute new car sales and PHEV cars are just behind Diesels. This is partly caused by the Diesel sales crashing down, so far this year they are just 55% of the 2018 numbers.

Overall BEV was 9% of new car sales so far in 2019, petrol still very dominant with 75% of the market. Jan 2018 there were 21,115 BEV registered in NL - end of Sept 2019 that is nearly 75,000 and end of this year it will be 85-90,000, on top of that are approx 100,000 PHEV.
Last edited by Jelle v/d Meer on Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I-pace S + HUD, Drive Pack, Light Oyster Sport Seats, Elec Tailgate, DAB+ & heated windshield I Ceasium Blue & 18" wheels

fa147

Post by fa147 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Jelle v/d Meer wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:04 pm
I believe BEV are the further - yes there are some BIG challenges ahead but with more and more people driving BEV there is also more and more attention to the needs of these BEV cars including charging infrastructure.

Over the next 10-15 years I expect the efficiency to improve with minimal 20%, the battery capacity per kg to at least double and the price per kWh to drop by minimal 50%. In that sense it is no different than if you look at the early ICE cars in the 1930, 40, 50 compared to today's ICE cars in terms of efficiency, power and drive ability.

Norway has already shown it is possible and some other countries like NL there is ever growing fleet of BEV.
Today it was reported that for the first 9 months of this year BEV cars overtook Diesel cars in absolute new car sales and PHEV cars are just behind Diesels. This is partly caused by the Diesel sales crashing down, so far this year they are just 55% of the 2018 numbers.

Overall BEV was 9% of new car sales so far in 2019, petrol still very dominant with 75% of the market. Jan 2018 there were 21,115 BEV registered in NL - end of Sept 2019 that is nearly 75,000 and end of this year it will be 85-90,000, on top of that are approx 100,000 PHEV.
These sentiments are the same that I have mentioned a few times now on a number of different posts. Demand leading to Supply in all aspects, range, charging, locations, etc. etc.

The more demand the more incentive for companies to provide a supply...
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S19B_35.5-418001 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 8.30.100.153

emgf

Post by emgf » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:45 pm

Jelle v/d Meer wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:04 pm
I believe BEV are the future - yes there are some BIG challenges ahead but with more and more people driving BEV there is also more and more attention to the needs of these BEV cars including charging infrastructure.

You can expect an acceleration by 2023 when the average BEV price will be less than the average ICE price
SE Yulong White , light oyster interior , 20" Gloss Black , since October 9th 2018 , S19B_19.35, 16.2

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”