Solar Panel Installation

The place to discuss everything else..
malakai

Solar Panel Installation

Post by malakai » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:23 pm

(Branched from the thread on UK Home charging here to Off-Topic Chat.)
badgb21 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:10 pm
Not getting into Solar, we’ll move house before any kind of pay back.
Its nothing to do with the I-Pace specifically, but since we're discussing charging options, I'll share my experience with buying and selling a Solar PV system for the house I used to own in California. Might be of interest to I-Pace owners who are thinking of getting panels.

Our Solar Panel Installation
Our Solar Panel Installation - Epilogue, Three Years Later
😸 ⚡ 2019 I-Pace HSE EV400 / Silicon Silver, Black / Siena Tan, Ebony, Oyster / 20" 5068's
🇺🇸 ✋ Detroit Michigan

SammyD

Re: Solar Panel Installation

Post by SammyD » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:05 pm

I had a small (1.8kW) system installed in November 2016. So far it has produced more leccy than I've consumed (5.6Mw vs 5.1Mw). I know these figures seem tiny by US Standards but you have to remember that 1) I only had space on my roof for 6 panels and 2) I'm at 51.24N. Look that up on your maps and see just how far we are north.
If I use the granny charger on a very sunny day, the car takes all (within a few tens of watts) the output from the solar panels. I wish I could put more panels on my roof but I can't. I live in a brick built house that was erected in 1930 so my scope is limited. I might get another 6 or 7 panels on my garage roof as that faces S.W bit that is very much wishful thinking at the moment.

Would I do it again? In a flash. There is a side effect in that the attic is a lot cooler in summer which in turn makes the upstairs (bedrooms) cooler and without AC.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S19B_* Maps : whatever is current.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”