Autocar article

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Post Reply
R32Paul
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:07 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Autocar article

Post by R32Paul » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:24 pm

Interesting interview in Autocar with I-PACE chief engineer Dave Shaw.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... low-i-pace

Some quotes:

Q: How will the I-Pace evolve over its life?

A: “You can expect constant updates. As an industry, the car has to stay relevant. With electric cars and over-the-air updates, the car is no longer out of date soon after you drive it out of the showroom. Most cars get quickly out of date, but we have the ability to update now over the air.”

Q: Will it spawn other versions over time or be a moment in time car?

A: “It will evolve and continue to do so with software. It’s not a moment in time car, it’s a great car and a great Jaguar, and with technology we want to develop and build on.”
Bog standard White I-Pace S ordered 24/09/18, 15/02/19 build date (November 2018) delivery April 2019.


Jagmanmick
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:38 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Autocar article

Post by Jagmanmick » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:23 pm

This is a good read also about range and driving style:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/feat ... tric-range
I-pace SE ordered in Firenze Red. Due March/April


SammyD
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:44 pm
Location: N.E Hampshire, UK

Re: Autocar article

Post by SammyD » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:52 am

Jagmanmick wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:23 pm
This is a good read also about range and driving style:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/feat ... tric-range
I have to wonder how much EV driving the people from Autocar had done before the trip. I know from my own experience that there is a way of driving an EV that is IMHO different from an ICE. Much of that is the wise use of regen but also knowing the terrain ahead helps.
When I did my I-Pace test drive, the salesman said at the end, "You know how to drive an EV. Most people don't."
It took me quite a while to develop a different style when driving my Outlander.
I wonder how long that will last when I get my I-Pace? :) :) :lol:
Waiting (impatiently) for my Caesium Blue SE(Hirundo Rustica). Being build W/E 08-Feb-2019 :D :D


User avatar
lvrmsc
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:50 pm
Location: Mons, Belgium

Re: Autocar article

Post by lvrmsc » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:44 pm

R32Paul wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:24 pm
Interesting interview in Autocar with I-PACE chief engineer Dave Shaw.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... low-i-pace

Some quotes:

Q: How will the I-Pace evolve over its life?

A: “You can expect constant updates. As an industry, the car has to stay relevant. With electric cars and over-the-air updates, the car is no longer out of date soon after you drive it out of the showroom. Most cars get quickly out of date, but we have the ability to update now over the air.”
Fake news. Lie. Mr Trump please do get out of Mr Shaw body! :lol:
Over-the-air updates are, for now, missing from the I-Pace product. :roll:
HSE Corris Grey / Light Oyster (on road 2018.11.29)
20" split-spoke 5070, performance seats, body-coloured roof, air suspension & AdSR, ...


pedro1664
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:30 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Autocar article

Post by pedro1664 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:48 pm

Too many things are unfortunately, but I'm still looking forward to April.


Jagmanmick
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:38 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Autocar article

Post by Jagmanmick » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:51 am

I-pace SE ordered in Firenze Red. Due March/April


FENorway
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:06 am
Location: Norge

Re: Autocar article

Post by FENorway » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:33 pm

The design of the XJ is definitely the way to go if you want range.
0,22-0,24 in drag and 10-12% less surface area than the I-Pace will do miracles when speed exceeds 100 kmh.
Also combined with an even bigger battery..
1st try: FE Photon red Ebony/Ebony 20" 5070
2nd try: FE Corris grey Oyster/Oyster Performance 20" 5070


ardevd
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:30 am
Location: Norway

Re: Autocar article

Post by ardevd » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:35 pm

Unfortunately, I highly doubt JLR will push out constant OTA updates to the I-Pace. I hope I'm wrong though but I expect we will see a quite a few bug fixes, tweaks and minor improvements over the coming year but then I highly suspect their software team will shift focus to future platforms.
Control your I-Pace with jlrpy | I-PACE HSE Ebny Prem Txt


SammyD
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:44 pm
Location: N.E Hampshire, UK

Re: Autocar article

Post by SammyD » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:27 pm

ardevd wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:35 pm
Unfortunately, I highly doubt JLR will push out constant OTA updates to the I-Pace. I hope I'm wrong though but I expect we will see a quite a few bug fixes, tweaks and minor improvements over the coming year but then I highly suspect their software team will shift focus to future platforms.
As a former software developer it would make perfect sense to me (????) for JLR to have a common software platform for their EV's. Develop for one means develop for all (within hardware restrictions naturally).
Re-use not only saves time but a huge amount of money.

I've worked on Operating System level code that took into consideration at least 10 different CPU features. Some variants were in production 10 years before the latest variant.
It isn't rocket science. All it takes is a clear direction from the top.
Now will JLR do it?
anyone got a crystal ball?
Waiting (impatiently) for my Caesium Blue SE(Hirundo Rustica). Being build W/E 08-Feb-2019 :D :D


Post Reply

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”