What is the status of 100kW charging?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
mclarenpaul

Re: What is the status of 100kW charging?

Post by mclarenpaul » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:55 am

Garryjw wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:42 pm
As a software developer I think 'relatively' is the key word here.

Don't get me wrong this is a brilliant idea and should be implemented but they will need to:
Set up somewhere to store details of the update (they may be able to pull this from the existing dealer system but there is no guarantee that this will have an open API (an application Interface they can communicate with)) create a screen with secure login for someone to maintain this data. Add access to this data to the interface that the car currently calls and add the screen to the car to show the notification. Finally they need a way of storing the fact you've read that notification so you don't read it again. Then they have to check that none of the clever programmers working on it have broken something totally unrelated in the process.

As I said brilliant idea that needs to have been there from day one.
Surely this could be done in the Remote App which is already designed for notifications.
I Pace EV400 FE, Corris Grey, options: Oyster leather, 20' wheels, MY19, delivered 12/2018
InControl: S19A_19.20.4-363281 || Telematics: Version 14.2

jason.birchall

Post by jason.birchall » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:00 am

Garryjw wrote:

Don't get me wrong this is a brilliant idea and should be implemented but they will need to:
Set up somewhere to store details of the update (they may be able to pull this from the existing dealer system but there is no guarantee that this will have an open API (an application Interface they can communicate with)) create a screen with secure login for someone to maintain this data. Add access to this data to the interface that the car currently calls and add the screen to the car to show the notification. Finally they need a way of storing the fact you've read that notification so you don't read it again. Then they have to check that none of the clever programmers working on it have broken something totally unrelated in the process.

Hey Gary, I'm assuming it's more likely the software version data is held by the manufacturer, and that system is presented to the different Jag dealers. I'd find it depressing if dealers all have their own systems for jags 😭
IPace model S
White, Pano Roof, Black 20 inch wheels, black pack.
Looks and drives great, but is really unreliable.

Garryjw

Post by Garryjw » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:50 am

mclarenpaul wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:55 am
Garryjw wrote:

Surely this could be done in the Remote App which is already designed for notifications.
They would still need to feed the update information to the notification system so a lot of the above still applies but yes it would cut the step of having this built into the car system. Also they wouldn't need to handle reading of notifications as the notification system on the phone would handle that.
My company car is a MY19 Firenze Red I-Pace HSE with Black Trim, HUD, Cold Weather Pack and Fog Lights.
Watch my i-Pace adventures on the iPaceOwner YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYIwYg ... 0xkLJjLmNg

Garryjw

Post by Garryjw » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:53 am

jason.birchall wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:00 am
Garryjw wrote:

Hey Gary, I'm assuming it's more likely the software version data is held by the manufacturer, and that system is presented to the different Jag dealers. I'd find it depressing if dealers all have their own systems for jags 😭
One would certainly hope so. I think frpm what people have posted Jaguar do supply this to dealers as part of the Topix (hope I've remembered the name correctly) system .
My company car is a MY19 Firenze Red I-Pace HSE with Black Trim, HUD, Cold Weather Pack and Fog Lights.
Watch my i-Pace adventures on the iPaceOwner YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYIwYg ... 0xkLJjLmNg

jason.birchall

Post by jason.birchall » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:25 pm

Something that Tesla seem to be far ahead with sadly, they appear to have more in house resources a d be actively developing the software. That said, I raced a mates model s p75d last night and his car went into thermal limp mode which was surprising, so maybe their cooling or software is not as good as you would think?
IPace model S

McRat

Post by McRat » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:40 pm

Vertical development certainly gave Tesla an advantage. By controlling everything from the Superchargers down to the battery array, it is almost a 100% certainty that everything will mesh perfectly. Even then, two years ago Tesla limited charging to 90kW after about 250 DCFC charges to protect the battery.
The worst case would be designing an EV without knowing what communications and thermal limits are to be expected from CCS2 chargers when they don't exist in the wild yet. Which is what Jaguar was required to do.
I think they will have it sorted in the near future.
2019 I-Pace FE
2019 & 2017 Chevrolet Volts
24.2 kW self-installed 480v 3-ph solar array

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:04 pm

jason.birchall wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:25 pm
Something that Tesla seem to be far ahead with sadly, they appear to have more in house resources a d be actively developing the software. That said, I raced a mates model s p75d last night and his car went into thermal limp mode which was surprising, so maybe their cooling or software is not as good as you would think?
Without a doubt, the BMS and it’s cooling system
for the I-Pace is absolutely designed for someone who drives a Jaguar like a Jaguar can be driven. It is probably the best out there at present. Not sure what Porsche will be doing with theirs.

The Tesla Model S has never been able to be put on a race track and do more than lap before thermal problems result in reduced power mode, mainly due to the motors overheating. The I-Pace has been designed to be pushed to the limit and held there without problems, it is a Jaguar after all, not a run around EV.
Caesium Blue S. 18” Wheels.
250+ miles range driven in the winter.
300+ miles range driven in the summer.
S19A-07, H228

sciencegeek

Post by sciencegeek » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:06 am

Nyland did a test a while back where he repeatedly hammered it and the i-Pace would not quit. He remarked at how a Tesla would not be able to do that.

jason.birchall

Post by jason.birchall » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:04 am

sciencegeek wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:06 am
Nyland did a test a while back where he repeatedly hammered it and the i-Pace would not quit. He remarked at how a Tesla would not be able to do that.
Yeh it's been said multiple times by different sources, I was still shocked to see if first hand giving up so quickly, the i-pace just kept going and showed no signs of wimping out.
IPace model S

Bart

Post by Bart » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:32 pm

Hanssolo wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:23 am
Keep us posted on fast charging at Fastned stations!
Went to a Fastned 175 kWh charger today and got 81kWh, all the way from 12% to 80%. But also charging at 81kWh leaves barely enough time to eat a sandwich and drink some coffee..

Received this week the H159 V3 update

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”