Octopus Energy

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions

Re: Octopus Energy

Post by ****** » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:55 pm

I was going to reply but my post would have been almost word for word the same as ChrisMc’s!

Around £4-4.50 per full charge is about right.

Octopus do dual fuel and will install a smart electricity meter and a smart gas meter in your home. You’ll need to first transfer to their regular tariff and then they will come and install the smart meters and move you to the Go tariff. Also might be worth checking out EDF as they do an EV tariff with much longer off peak periods (but not as cheap).

patkinson1966

Post by patkinson1966 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:55 pm

I’m holding out for a deal with Bulb. I’m on 12.6p/kWh and mostly charge at home, unless I’ve time for electron grazing...

Have had direct contact and been assured smart meter (SMET2) installed around now... no news so now looking for a provider who will commit to installing SMET2 quickly. I’m in Wakefield, there’s delays installing SMET2 as “it’s grim up north”...

Any one got any advice? I bought my first MegaWatt in April, I don’t want to buy another one at 12.6p

My poor TANK is a thirsty little bugger. Off to Goodwood tomorrow with four large adults, can’t wait to see consumption. Arriving IONITY chargers at MK at 4pm.

Wish me luck!
Corris Grey First Edition.

scapegoat

Post by scapegoat » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:03 pm

Useful thread to read as I have found the whole energy tariff process difficult to be able to compare actual costs.

Standard charges and unit rates mean that it isn’t always that easy to compare tarriffs quickly. Currently with Solarplicity on 15.9 pence and a standing charge of 23p per day I think.

I have a smart meter (but seemingly Solarpolicity don’t use it as everything is an estimate) but don’t think its one that could be used by Octopus.

I presume you need a smart meter to benefit form the off-peak rates? Do Octopus install their smart meter for free?

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:51 pm

Yes you need a smart meter to take advantage of Octopus Go and yes they install it FOC.

EDIT
BTW on the Octopus site https://share.octopus.energy/happy-birch-349 they will give you a comparison between their tarrifs and your existing one, takes 30 seconds and you can compare.
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 Black, full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc
InControlTouch Pro: S20A_20.16.5-536345 Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 - H228, H264, H270

Dunravin

Post by Dunravin » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:35 pm

ChrisMc wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:51 pm
Yes you need a smart meter to take advantage of Octopus Go and yes they install it FOC.
If you can get them to install a smart meter.

Waited 2 months for an installation slot today, then at 5:10pm yesterday Octopus called to say they had to cancel and offered another slot in 2 weeks time.

Was about to leave the house this morning to drive to York and an engineer turned up. I told him Octopus cancelled because they didn’t have an available engineer. He knew nothing about it and got stuck into the install.

I had to leave to head to York. An hour into my journey my wife called to say that Octopus had called the engineer just as he’d finished the install and instructed him to remove the new meter and put the old one back in. WTAF?!

So he did as he was told. and I’m still paying premium tariff for my electricity.

Talk about paperwork overruling common sense.

So be warned, it may not be as simple as it sounds to get a smart meter from Octopus.

I am considering switching already after this fiasco.
“Mjölnir” delivered May 2019. MY20 i-Pace SE Corris Grey, 20” wheels, oyster interior and liner, no pano roof, gesture tailgate. 18D, 14.2 telematics.

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:43 pm

That is a fiasco certainly. When I signed up with them, they told me a smart meter may not be available for a couple of months, so I was forewarned, due to new gen meters coming out. But sure enough, a couple of months after switching they arranged for a new smart meter to be installed, and soon after I was switched to the Go tariff. In fact they actually gave me a £35 discount because I was a week later going on the Go tariff than they originally told me I would be. I also got and unexpected £25 credit soon after I signed up with them, I still have no idea why that happened.

I can't praise them enough, having dealt with various departments in the company and no problems so far, but I guess not all customers will get a top level of service 100% of the time. There will be those who have had their problems and would never use them again. c'est la vie.
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 Black, full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc
InControlTouch Pro: S20A_20.16.5-536345 Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 - H228, H264, H270

NightFox

Post by NightFox » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:21 pm

I agreed to having a SMETS1 meter installed as a temporary measure rather than have to wait maybe another 2 or 3 for a SMETS2 in my region (They'll still change me to a SMETS2 when the time comes). First installation date, engineer showed up but couldn't do it due to heavy rain (disappointing, but understandable). Rebooked for 2 weeks later. The following week, the installation company phoned up and said engineer had to take that week off, so had to re-book it for another 2 weeks later (not happy). But the next week (the one they'd cancelled), the engineer turned up anyway, totally unannounced and unexpected, and installed the meter. I was half expecting another engineer to turn up with another meter yesterday (the rescheduled date), but thankfully that never happened. I just think these installation companies don't know what they're doing half the time.

Still, Octopus themselves were great at all times, and I'm now happily up and running on Go (it took 4 days after the meter installation)

RJUK

Post by RJUK » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:37 pm

ChrisMc wrote:

EDIT
BTW on the Octopus site https://share.octopus.energy/happy-birch-349 they will give you a comparison between their tarrifs and your existing one, takes 30 seconds and you can compare.
Thanks Chris. Just done the switch, though it says delayed because I apparently need to enter details of my meters.

Here's my referral code/link for anyone else who wants to switch. :)

https://share.octopus.energy/cliff-heron-474
Narvik Black I-Pace HSE with black everything, HUD, adaptive air suspension, privacy glass. 8-)

Basil Fawlty

Post by Basil Fawlty » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:51 pm

I can't understand why you can't sign up for the cheap tariff from day one, if this was guaranteed i'd be with them now.
Delivered March2019. MY19 I Pace SE Corris Grey, black pack, privacy glass, black wheels, pano roof, 0-60 4.5secs - No spare wheel due to the ridiculous storage solution.

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:42 pm

RJUK wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:37 pm
ChrisMc wrote:

EDIT
Thanks Chris. Just done the switch, though it says delayed because I apparently need to enter details of my meters.

Here's my referral code/link for anyone else who wants to switch. :)

https://share.octopus.energy/cliff-heron-474
Thanks RJUK for using my code. Not sure why there is a delay unless you need to enter/provide more information for them.