Writing a Python library and Android app for the I-Pace. Need help.

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Murre

Re: Writing a Python library and Android app for the I-Pace. Need help.

Post by Murre » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:28 pm

It would be really cool to make an I-Pace remote app for Android watches (Wear OS). Do you think that would be possible?

ardevd

Post by ardevd » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:23 pm

Murre wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:28 pm
It would be really cool to make an I-Pace remote app for Android watches (Wear OS). Do you think that would be possible?
it's certainly possible :)
Control your I-Pace with jlrpy | I-PACE HSE Ebny Prem Txt

fox_nl

Post by fox_nl » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:24 pm

Ardevd did a great job reverse engineering the API, so as long as you have an internet connection this is very possible. Not sure if the python library is directly useable for wearable platforms but ports should not be too difficult.

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:23 pm

There’s already an Apple Watch one so it clearly should be possible to do an Android one. Honestly, I assumed jag had released it for both formats. It’s not great. Can’t unlock the car (which I was hoping for) but I can at least check battery state and locked state as well as any warnings with it. I suspect there is more it could do that Jag have not chosen to implement.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.

ardevd

Post by ardevd » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:22 am

I've implemented a fair bit of new functionality and I really need someone to test it out before I merge into master.

- Start and stop charging
- Add and delete departure timers
- Set wake up timer. (Haven't pushed to branch yet but it's coming later today).

Please chime in on Gitter :)

WattAJag

Post by WattAJag » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:27 pm

Is this something a "normal person" could use, or does a person have to know how to use developer tools on the PC & phone? I'm being quite frustrated by not being able to use my "ultra-cheap" hours from 11-5 at night because I'd have to be up at 5:00 to unplug the car.

Bart

Post by Bart » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:57 pm

WattAJag wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:27 pm
Is this something a "normal person" could use, or does a person have to know how to use developer tools on the PC & phone? I'm being quite frustrated by not being able to use my "ultra-cheap" hours from 11-5 at night because I'd have to be up at 5:00 to unplug the car.
There is no such thing as a "normal person" imo. Every person has some special interests, habits, strengths and weaknesses.
For the current back-end you do have to like a bit of programming, but it is not that difficult.

For example:
With regard to the charging: If you know the raspberry pi [are you still there??] and know how to reach it, for example via SSH you will be able to run a simple python script on a raspberry pi server [cost about 10 Eu/Pound/Dollar] and be able to once and for all set charging times.
Perhaps someone can build a web-based front-end. The raspberry pi can also run a (small) webserver. That could be a way to graphically interact with the server.

But as everyone has other preferences and experiences you can assume a whole spectrum of solutions is possible.

Biggest question: have you looked into it?: Google: "github jlrpy" => first hit

John32

Post by John32 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:20 pm

You need a place to hst this on a permanent internet access link, as the script will poll the api server every minute.

I am seriously considering launching a poll here to see if enough people would be interested in paying a small fee to cover costs of the infrastructure to set up an easy to use (but very secure) web app?

ardevd

Post by ardevd » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:54 pm

WattAJag wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:27 pm
Not really! It depends on how you define a normal person. All you really need is a computer that is always on and online. That could be a Raspberry Pi, a VPS, a desktop computer, a media center pc, whatever. Install Python and run the script which you can get from the Github repo.

In your example though, cant you set up a charging period from the app or are you saying that doesnt work?

ardevd

Post by ardevd » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:54 pm

And yeah, if someone wants to write a frontend for jlrpy then that's cool. I'd love to do it myself but I don't really have much use for it to be honest so it wouldnt be on the top of my list :)

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”