Re: "Floppy" charging port door?

Post by mikew » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:48 am

mbart777 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:34 am
Baikar wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:44 am
mikew wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:34 pm
Well, perhaps it is just as well it is a bit on the flimsy side.

Unlike BMWs with charging flaps, you don't get a warning when you start the car and the flap is open.

If you're rushing a bit it is all too easy to forget to close it. I did just that this afternoon when I reversed our of my garage. The flap caught on the edge of the door opening.

The aluminium part of the flap fell to the floor, leaving the plastic arm behind. I have plastic floor tiles, so luckily it wasn't damaged or scratched. I was able to clip it back on to the plastic arm.

Unfortunately the locking pin and rubber gasket got snapped off the plastic arm, but the pin snapping off probably saved the arm from damaging the bodywork. So maybe a lucky escape. The flap closes perfectly, but obviously won't lock.

I've just been round to my dealer and it is the whole plastic arm that needs to be replaced. The cost will be around £45 plus fitting. Fortunately the car is a Jaguar, rather than a Tesla, so the part will be here on Friday! :)

Obviously it was my stupid fault, but it is really remiss of Jaguar not to warn you when you've left the flap open!
We have all been there, easily fixed though so that’s good.

I believe the car won’t allow you to drive off with the charging cable connected so that’s good enough for me. I don’t think we could complain that Jaguar didn’t fit a little light to tell us the flap is open. I’ve never heard of anyone complain on a petrol or diesel car so why now?
Agree that seems logical but if this is happening to EV drivers (and not when we were driving ICE vehicles) there must be an, as yet, not fully understood reason. It would be a small fix for future models to add to the array of warning alerts.
It could be that most ICE fuel fillers are on the rear side of the car. If you leave the flap open you would see it in your mirrors. Whereas there is no way you can see a front mounted flap.
SE Yulong white, black pack, 22" split-spoke, pano roof, Ebony heated seats, Ebony headlining, gloss black, cold climate, front fogs, air suspension and 360˚cam. Delivered 29/10/2018.

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:50 am

Surely it would be very easy to put a spring on the door, so it shuts itsself at least partially (the driver then pushes it fully closed) as soon as you take out the charging cable. But there again, not many ICE fuel filler flaps have anything.
Last edited by ChrisMc on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ordered 06.12.18 – MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 in Black with full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc etc

Dtrawford

Post by Dtrawford » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:52 am

Surely on ICE vehicles we all close the flap when having removed the filler nozzle and replaced the cap. Why on earth not close the flap when removing the charging plug?!
JLR cannot be blamed for their customers inability in remembering to do this.
We have to take responsibility

Max69

Post by Max69 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:23 am

What I find less practical is in fact the small light in the port that lights your face more than the port itself.
HSE Santorini black, black leather (red for now will be changed in Feb), panoramic, air, drive assist, 20 wheels.

mbart777

Post by mbart777 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:15 pm

Dtrawford wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:52 am
Surely on ICE vehicles we all close the flap when having removed the filler nozzle and replaced the cap. Why on earth not close the flap when removing the charging plug?!
JLR cannot be blamed for their customers inability in remembering to do this.
We have to take responsibility
Agree but we also expect an increasing number of convenience features, especially in premium vehicles. Like manoeuvring cameras, adaptive cruise control, steering assist etc. etc. If there's sufficient demand for it JLR will add in the future.
SE Corris Grey + options. Deposit 19 Feb 18. Spec'd order logged with Jaguar 9.48am 2 Mar 18, minor changes 9 May 18. Delivered 21 Sept 18. :D

mbart777

Post by mbart777 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:16 pm

Max69 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:23 am
What I find less practical is in fact the small light in the port that lights your face more than the port itself.
Agree, seems a design flaw.
SE Corris Grey + options. Deposit 19 Feb 18. Spec'd order logged with Jaguar 9.48am 2 Mar 18, minor changes 9 May 18. Delivered 21 Sept 18. :D

mjc

Post by mjc » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:07 pm

Does anybody yet have experience of using the 360-cam when maneuvering in tight spaces like garages, and between width-narrowing bollards?
I-Pace HSE on order - Farallon Black - Promised Delivery was 02/09/18, then 30/01/19, then 02/01/19, now 14/12/18 :D

oop north

Post by oop north » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:01 pm

ChrisMc wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:50 am
Surely it would be very easy to put a spring on the door, so it shuts itsself at least partially (the driver then pushes it fully closed) as soon as you take out the charging cable. But there again, not many ICE fuel filler flaps have anything.
Please, no - it would be a right pain to have to hold the flap out of the way against a spring all the time when plugging in

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:39 pm

oop north wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:01 pm
ChrisMc wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:50 am
Please, no - it would be a right pain to have to hold the flap out of the way against a spring all the time when plugging in

It's a hard life ain't it! :)
Ordered 06.12.18 – MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 in Black with full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc etc

nipri

Post by nipri » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:08 pm

On my i8 it was on the front just like I Pace & that was much more expensive car.
Think sometimes we complain too much over trivial things & forget the bigger picture of what a superb car the I Pace really is!
Just chill & enjoy beauty & the beast.

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”