"Floppy" charging port door?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
lvrmsc

"Floppy" charging port door?

Post by lvrmsc » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:29 pm

The small door of the charging port is very light, thin, a bit floppy and its alignment when closed is all but perfect. Have you seen such a thing too?
HSE Corris Grey, on the road since 2018.11.29
20" split-spoke 5070, performance seats, body-coloured roof, air suspension & AdSR, ...

emgf

Re: "Floppy" charging port door?

Post by emgf » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:59 pm

lvrmsc wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:29 pm
The small door of the charging port is very light, thin, a bit floppy and its alignment when closed is all but perfect. Have you seen such a thing too?
Yes I do agree with your description

Oz-ipace

Post by Oz-ipace » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:20 pm

My old BMW i3 was the same. Seemed very cheap compared to everything else.
On order - MY19 Corris Grey / Oyster First Edition
Previous - BMW i3 Rex Larus Grey / Loft

lvrmsc

Post by lvrmsc » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:58 am

On the other hand I had a Leaf (the very first edition) back in the end of 2011 and the hatch on the bonnet was sturdy, mounted on solid metallic hinges: didn't feel cheap at all. The one on Golf GTE was unpleasant : the front VW badge serving as hatch was 100% plastic, including the hinges. Didn't close easily sometimes. But the one on I-Pace is actually worse and feels so fragile for something that will be manipulated so often.

A more rigid, heavier, stronger hatch would not have significantly penalized the cost and performance of the car.
HSE Corris Grey, on the road since 2018.11.29
20" split-spoke 5070, performance seats, body-coloured roof, air suspension & AdSR, ...

mbart777

Post by mbart777 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:00 pm

Yes, seems unnecessarily flimsy.

Also, have others driven off leaving it open and the DC plug hanging after charging at public stations? It may be I have a mental block after putting the the charger back, especially at night. I'd find a warning light for that on the dashboard particularly useful.
SE Corris Grey + options. Deposit 19 Feb 18. Spec'd order logged with Jaguar 9.48am 2 Mar 18, minor changes 9 May 18. Delivered 21 Sept 18. :D

mclarenpaul

Post by mclarenpaul » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:04 pm

I had one of the early Jaguar XFs and it had a really plastic cheap petrol cover. Was very much criticized and I think they improved it in a later model.

mikew

Post by mikew » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:34 pm

Well, perhaps it is just as well it is a bit on the flimsy side.

Unlike BMWs with charging flaps, you don't get a warning when you start the car and the flap is open.

If you're rushing a bit it is all too easy to forget to close it. I did just that this afternoon when I reversed our of my garage. The flap caught on the edge of the door opening.

The aluminium part of the flap fell to the floor, leaving the plastic arm behind. I have plastic floor tiles, so luckily it wasn't damaged or scratched. I was able to clip it back on to the plastic arm.

Unfortunately the locking pin and rubber gasket got snapped off the plastic arm, but the pin snapping off probably saved the arm from damaging the bodywork. So maybe a lucky escape. The flap closes perfectly, but obviously won't lock.

I've just been round to my dealer and it is the whole plastic arm that needs to be replaced. The cost will be around £45 plus fitting. Fortunately the car is a Jaguar, rather than a Tesla, so the part will be here on Friday! :)

Obviously it was my stupid fault, but it is really remiss of Jaguar not to warn you when you've left the flap open!
SE Yulong white, black pack, 22" split-spoke, pano roof, Ebony heated seats, Ebony headlining, gloss black, cold climate, front fogs, air suspension and 360˚cam. Delivered 29/10/2018.

Oz-ipace

Post by Oz-ipace » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:32 am

Sorry to hear of your misfortune and as you say its great its not too expensive and available. With all the thing you get warnings about this should be easy enough to implement IF they monitor the flap position..
On order - MY19 Corris Grey / Oyster First Edition
Previous - BMW i3 Rex Larus Grey / Loft

Baikar

Post by Baikar » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:44 am

mikew wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:34 pm

Unlike BMWs with charging flaps, you don't get a warning when you start the car and the flap is open.

If you're rushing a bit it is all too easy to forget to close it. I did just that this afternoon when I reversed our of my garage. The flap caught on the edge of the door opening.

The aluminium part of the flap fell to the floor, leaving the plastic arm behind. I have plastic floor tiles, so luckily it wasn't damaged or scratched. I was able to clip it back on to the plastic arm.

Unfortunately the locking pin and rubber gasket got snapped off the plastic arm, but the pin snapping off probably saved the arm from damaging the bodywork. So maybe a lucky escape. The flap closes perfectly, but obviously won't lock.

I've just been round to my dealer and it is the whole plastic arm that needs to be replaced. The cost will be around £45 plus fitting. Fortunately the car is a Jaguar, rather than a Tesla, so the part will be here on Friday! :)

Obviously it was my stupid fault, but it is really remiss of Jaguar not to warn you when you've left the flap open!
We have all been there, easily fixed though so that’s good.

I believe the car won’t allow you to drive off with the charging cable connected so that’s good enough for me. I don’t think we could complain that Jaguar didn’t fit a little light to tell us the flap is open. I’ve never heard of anyone complain on a petrol or diesel car so why now?

mbart777

Post by mbart777 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:34 am

Baikar wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:44 am
mikew wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:34 pm

We have all been there, easily fixed though so that’s good.

I believe the car won’t allow you to drive off with the charging cable connected so that’s good enough for me. I don’t think we could complain that Jaguar didn’t fit a little light to tell us the flap is open. I’ve never heard of anyone complain on a petrol or diesel car so why now?
Agree that seems logical but if this is happening to EV drivers (and not when we were driving ICE vehicles) there must be an, as yet, not fully understood reason. It would be a small fix for future models to add to the array of warning alerts.
SE Corris Grey + options. Deposit 19 Feb 18. Spec'd order logged with Jaguar 9.48am 2 Mar 18, minor changes 9 May 18. Delivered 21 Sept 18. :D

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”