Ionity Network

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions

Re: Ionity Network

Post by ****** » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:35 am

TeslaDriver wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:01 am
"Ionity APP only shows 3 stalls but there are 4"

Not sure how QR code or "pick from list" would have worked if you had parked at the "other" stall. Maybe that stall was out-of-service temporarily ...

"I'm so excited by this, this is the future ... this is charging as charging should be"

+1 to that :) Hooray!

My S has a 90 battery, so reasonably comparable. The only time when I recorded a complete charging session was when car was relatively new, and thus before warm-battery and charging stall firmware upgrades, so a useful comparison. I'll be very happy when The Rest are doing as well as Tesla ... Sure SC V3 is around the corner ... but so are all sorts of other things ... if iPace matches my S when i got it I reckon that is a great milestone

My S was 10% added per 5 minutes from 10% up to 60% then
60%-70% 7 mins
70%-80% 9 mins

iPace
20-30% 6.5 mins
30-40% 6.5 mins
40-50% 6.1 mins
50-60% 6.3 mins
60-70% 7.8 mins
70-80% 8.6 mins

I reckon that is excellent :) Bit more to come from Jaguar increasing the permitted charge rate and I reckon job's-a-good'un

"No contactless"

I agree .. surely if Ionity had that, and BP et al remain stuck on their "monthly subscription" tack, Ionity would be first-choice

"There didn't seem to be much room for expansion ... maybe they could get 6 in"

That bothers me about Ionity sites ... too few stalls (I understand the commercial aspect, but it doesn't bode well as EV population grows). Surely cost of over-spec vs retro-fit would favour the brave when "Ionity is really fast" becomes "Ionity is always full" ...

Tesla has opened 4 new sites in Norway this year : 1x8, 2x12, 1x16, 3x20. I reckon that is an indicator of what is needed, and 3rd party CCS charging will have visitors from Jag, Audi, Volvo, Merc, VW ... surely they will be in greater numbers than Tesla within a year or two?

Loved the petrol-station drive though :) :)
Thanks! Yes, from this and your other post (which I already replied to before I read this one) you and I have similar use cases and similar thoughts/hopes/expectations for the charging infrastructure. I found what I got from Ionity totally acceptable and would be absolutely fine for a road trip. If we could get 100 kWh for a bit longer, that would be nice but it’s no deal breaker. As I’ve said elsewhere this got a 1 hour 20 minute charge down to 42 minutes. The next step would get that 42 minute charge down to around 35 minutes. The first is a massive difference. The second is not hugely significant.

And I took a ridiculous amount of pleasure in the drive through!

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:39 am

TeslaDriver wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:03 am
SammyD wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:22 am
I'd rather have more multi CP locations dotted around the country than one or two mega sites.
I'm not convinced that is best. Clearly Tesla have not gone down that route, and that may well be influencing my thinking :)
Tesla is a different beast in this respect. Their model is indeed locations with large numbers of CP's. They may well have a different capital investment model than other CP Suppliers. Theirs (Tesla's) is a captive market in that only Tesla's can use them. Everyone else's is not.

I don't think either model is 100% right or 100% wrong. It depends upon what you want to achieve and what your plan is to get there.

To me, people are used to having a Motorway service area around 20 miles up the road. That gives them great flexibility as to where they stop. That may well be the use case that Non Tesla CP operators are working towards.
As I said, many Service Areas are extremely tight for space and get very busy at peak travel times. Having another possibly quieter service area (and a CP) down the road works for many people. I know it did for me when I was driving an ICE and is even more important to people with 'are we there yet' passengers.
I think that sites like Milton Keynes may well be the future for large CP's. With Polar and Ionity there, they are well catered for already. But the facilities there are limited so a Version 2 site may well look different.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S20A_20.07.5-507626 Maps : whatever is current.

TeslaDriver

Post by TeslaDriver » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:43 am

SammyD wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:39 am
To me, people are used to having a Motorway service area around 20 miles up the road. ...
All good points, thanks.

Time will tell ... I am going to be interested to see how it pans out.

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:21 pm

Just had a look at Ionity Tracker and quite some new constructions started and some sites completed.

At the end 2018 there were 46 sites live with a further 45 under construction for a total of 91 sites.
Almost 10 months later there are 156 sites live with a further 72 under construction for a total of 228 sites.

Pretty good progress if you ask me - for me Ionity has been critical important in making my long distance trips possible and/or much easier compared to have to rely on single 50kW charge stations.
Counting with on average 3 months for construction - Ionity has another 11 months to start work on a 172 sites more (approx 4 per week) to reach their original promise of 400 sites live by end of 2020.
I-pace S + HUD + Drive Pack + Light Oyster Sport Seats + Tailgate I Ceasium Blue | 18" wheels
Infotainment 20A + Telematics 18.2 | ODO 51.400km | 2020 Efficiency 204watt/km.

Post by ****** » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:44 pm

The current Ionities are the worst possible places for me. MK is too far to reach and Gretna is too close to home to take advantage of the charging speed. So southbound journeys mean Ecotricity for me and Northbound journeys mean ChargePlace Scotland. I wish that wasn’t the case!

AGT

Post by AGT » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:56 pm

Goshdarnit wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:44 pm
The current Ionities are the worst possible places for me. MK is too far to reach and Gretna is too close to home to take advantage of the charging speed. So southbound journeys mean Ecotricity for me and Northbound journeys mean ChargePlace Scotland. I wish that wasn’t the case!
We need a forum award for the first I pace journey from Ionity, Gretna Green to Ionity, Milton Keynes (or vice versa) on a single charge - after the upcoming range enhancement. Possibly safer South to North as the M74 still has a hard shoulder.

fa147

Post by fa147 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:15 pm

An award is most definitely required if you manage from Ionity to Ionity as it is at least 268 miles and I'm not sure the I-Pace can do anywhere near that...

Mk to Gretna.png

Well definitely not with my driving style anyway..
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S20A_20.16.5-536345 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 08.030.0109.0155
Home Charging: Zappi 2.0

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:43 pm

fa147 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:15 pm
An award is most definitely required if you manage from Ionity to Ionity as it is at least 268 miles and I'm not sure the I-Pace can do anywhere near that...
Well that would have been a brilliant Chewy challenge and he would likely have achieved it as well.
I would like to add that award is only given if average speed is above 45mph else it is a bit cheating.
I-pace S + HUD + Drive Pack + Light Oyster Sport Seats + Tailgate I Ceasium Blue | 18" wheels

AGT

Post by AGT » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:15 pm

It is definitely a challenge.

I did the MK to Gretna run a few weeks ago. I stopped at the Instavolt at Sandbach and so I was not trying to maximise efficiency.

I measured 266 miles between the two Ionity stations and used 93.6KwH - so I would have been hitchhiking a long way before Gretna!

I did meet a guy driving a Hyundai Kuna who had managed the trip on one charge.

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:23 pm

AGT wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:15 pm
It is definitely a challenge.

I did the MK to Gretna run a few weeks ago. I stopped at the Instavolt at Sandbach and so I was not trying to maximise efficiency.
I measured 266 miles between the two Ionity stations and used 93.6KwH - so I would have been hitchhiking a long way before Gretna!

I did meet a guy driving a Hyundai Kuna who had managed the trip on one charge.
Yeah that Kona is an efficiency champion - certainly if you consider its battery is only 64kW so getting in real world more than 4 miles on a kW.

Key element is of course avg speed - if you are in the slow lane with 44mph versus fast lane with 66mph it is far more likely you can make it on 1 charge however doing that will take an hour more than if you drive 132miles at 66mph - charge for 1 hour and again drive 132 miles at 66mph as doing the same distance at 44mph will take 6 hours.