Ionity Network

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Blackseries

Ionity Network

Post by Blackseries » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:38 pm

I think it’s becoming increasingly apparent that access to a network of high-speed chargers are needed for us to drive the I-Pace as god intended, however, if you look at the Ionity website there is one glaring omission on their map ……the UK.

According to the Ionity site no charger sites are being constructed (planned), let alone being put into service in the UK.

This after the announcement earlier in the year that 3 (I think) UK sites would be announced (and I had assumed opened) by the end of September (again, I assumed 2018).
Also a recent press release by Ionity also said that the price of using a Ionity charger is 8, 8 Euros, 8 pounds, 8 CHF – so again, one has to assume that at least one UK charger will be operational before the end of 2018.

Also emgf said that having spoken to ABB at the Paris Motorshow 300 of the 400 Ionity sites have already been acquired, so surely someone must know where these sites are going to be.

My understanding is that Ecotricity has a monopoly on non-Tesla charging at UK motorway service stations – is that correct?
If so, it does seem very short sighted of the British Government and a very bad deal for the UK driving public because where are the superfast IONITY chargers going to go if not on Motorways?

Has anyone bumped into any of these Ionity chargers in the UK?

Maybe they have had a soft launch – and they are already operational (the end of September was quite some time ago), It would be great to get a handle on where these chargers are going to be as it will be fundamental to the usefulness of the car.

Does anyone have any more info?

Deleted User 325

Re: Ionity Network

Post by Deleted User 325 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:08 pm

Shell seem to have set up a deal with Ionity to install rapid chargers in a number of their service stations, but very limited numbers so far (just 3 50kW chargers in the London area?), but more roll-out promised in 2019.

See this website (unfortunately the site locator does not seem to have an 'EV' filter yet):

https://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/welcom ... harge.html

johnd

Post by johnd » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:12 pm

mjc wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:08 pm
See this website (unfortunately the site locator does not seem to have an 'EV' filter yet):

Isn't the filter Fuel Type | Shell Recharge? But as expected Shell do not appear to have heard of East Anglia at all!

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:13 pm

This article may help
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/ ... t-chargers

The first rapid charger will be in Maidstone.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S20A_20.07.5-507626 Maps : whatever is current.

DougTheMac

Post by DougTheMac » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:44 pm

johnd wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:12 pm
mjc wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:08 pm

Isn't the filter Fuel Type | Shell Recharge? But as expected Shell do not appear to have heard of East Anglia at all!
Not just EA - my attempt with their website indicates only 2 recharge sites outside M25 - Reading & Burton upon Trent. Or am I doing something wrong?
HSE Silicon Silver Pano Air+AD Oyster since 1Mar19
S19B_19.40.4-436082 & anon

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:27 am

johnd wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:12 pm

Shell are not alone in that.
Go look at the Tesla Charger map. One SC in East Anglia (in Thetford) and one under construction (Ipswich). The rest are destination chargers.
It is almost as if people don't drive EV's in that part of the world. /s

I visit several friends in Norfolk 4-5 times a year so this was a consideration to me when looking at EV's. One of them has a 50kW CCS charger less than a mile from her home. To charge a Tesla on anything but a DC or a Type 2 charger would involve a 50 mile round trip.
Norfolk is not only one of the few english counties with zero miles of motorway but very deficient in good EV charging points. I don't consider a CP outside a fast food outlet a good CP but that is just my POV.

Blackseries

Post by Blackseries » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:24 am

Maybe the Shell-Ionity and BP-Chargemaster deals are ways of circumventing the Ecotricity monopoly of chargers on the Motorways.

I would hope that a fast charger would be installed somewhere on the A14..... and at the mid points between London & Birmingham, London & Bristol, Bristol & Birmingham Birmingham & Manchester etc.....

It wouldn't take that many locations to cover the intercity needs of most people in England who leave home with a full (ish) battery.

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:33 pm

Blackseries wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:24 am
Maybe the Shell-Ionity and BP-Chargemaster deals are ways of circumventing the Ecotricity monopoly of chargers on the Motorways.

I would hope that a fast charger would be installed somewhere on the A14..... and at the mid points between London & Birmingham, London & Bristol, Bristol & Birmingham Birmingham & Manchester etc.....

It wouldn't take that many locations to cover the intercity needs of most people in England who leave home with a full (ish) battery.
Don't you mean multiple fast chargers? A single one is pretty useless unless it can have 100% uptime.
You don't see single Tesla Superchargers any more so why single fast chargers?

Blackseries

Post by Blackseries » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:46 pm

SammyD wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:33 pm

Don't you mean multiple fast chargers? A single one is pretty useless unless it can have 100% uptime.
You don't see single Tesla Superchargers any more so why single fast chargers?
Sorry, yes each Ionity site will have a minimum of 6 chargers - so when I said fast charger - I meant fast charger site (ie 6 chargers)

DougTheMac

Post by DougTheMac » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:49 pm

Yes, what we need, and what Tesla have done and I think Ionity are doing, is a relatively small number of strategically placed sites with lots of chargers at each. This is a far better solution than lots of sites with one or two chargers each. You can plan your stops with a much higher probability of charging where you plan to, rather than having to hunt around multiple locations to find a working, free charger.
HSE Silicon Silver Pano Air+AD Oyster since 1Mar19
S19B_19.40.4-436082 & anon