MyPace Battery Energy Estimate Realistic? UnRealistic?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Grifmike

MyPace Battery Energy Estimate Realistic? UnRealistic?

Post by Grifmike » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:36 pm

Hi All,

I bought my Ipace in February 2019... been loving every minute of driving since. Had a few issues along the way but thankfully mostly simple fixes / software updates etc.

After a few years of ownership and 50,000 KM - my thoughts turn to the battery health.

I did a slow charge to full from almost empty last night/today (air temp is warm 25c - so probably making the following look a little better than reality).

Using MyPace IOS app - it shows battery capacity at 100% = 87KWh / range 415km (lovely if I could believe it... but I don't! )

Does anyone have a clear understanding as to the accuracy of this App's estimate ? Is there a OBD port app/dongle to give a very accurate Battery capacity?

I never really charge to full (normally only 85%) and mainly only ever charge on 7kwh charger. So would love to believe the number - however feeling a little sceptical...

Would like to know as I am approaching the point of looking at changing the car and would like to get a more accurate understanding of the battery health before making a decision.

Regards Michael

Delta5

Re: MyPace Battery Energy Estimate Realistic? UnRealistic?

Post by Delta5 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:55 pm

450 km or 250 miles is realistic that’s what mine shows in summer but that means you get home on zero, in reality you stop and top up for 15 mins rather than risk running out. Mine is very accurate as long as you take into account temperature and driving style
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior, Air suspension, 18in wheels, Drivers pack, 360. arrived 16th July, very nice.

Maxwell_400

Post by Maxwell_400 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:21 am

Grifmike wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:36 pm
Hi All,

Using MyPace IOS app - it shows battery capacity at 100% = 87KWh / range 415km (lovely if I could believe it... but I don't! )

Does anyone have a clear understanding as to the accuracy of this App's estimate ? Is there a OBD port app/dongle to give a very accurate Battery capacity?

I never really charge to full (normally only 85%) and mainly only ever charge on 7kwh charger. So would love to believe the number - however feeling a little sceptical...

Would like to know as I am approaching the point of looking at changing the car and would like to get a more accurate understanding of the battery health before making a decision.

Regards Michael
Hi, I use OBD to calculate battery capacity and compare it to what the apps report back and IMHO:

The apps cannot be trusted, my car shows 82kW in the winter (below 5degC) and 86kW in the summer (above 15degC).
OBD has a state of health value but how it works I do not know, I haven't found an exact pattern why it goes up and down but it seems to at least correlate with battery capacity, my battery goes from 82% SOH to 96SOH%. SOC seems to be reliable and it is normal that it will recalculate between stops as true SOC can only be measured on a resting battery.

The only way I have found to calculate battery capacity is to compare SOC change with kWh used, in a recent trip SOC went from 76% to 55% and used 18kWh, this gives a capacity of 86kWh. This is OBD true SOC, 100% is 90kWh, capacity will usually be lower than this as there are losses in the battery which are not measured. In the winter at -10degC I measured a capacity of 77 kWh.

And you do not need OBD to do this, if you use the car SOC, 100% is approximately 85kWh due to the top and bottom buffers.

BUT: to get the capacity of the battery you need to recycle it a couple of times, deep discharge and granny charging to max.
I-Pace SE++, MY20, 18" summer & winter, no panoroof, towbar, spare wheel, 21A, TCU 19.2, BECS: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE

Maxwell_400

Post by Maxwell_400 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:11 am

Here are my OBD II pids for Torque Pro, collecting from dernotte, kermit68, iomagico, ANBO and myself.
IPaceMY20V1.zip
(1.69 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
I added one recently to show an estimation of total battery capacity, it is called "*Capacity" in the pid list, not thoroughly tested though.

Please do not use Excel to edit, it will mess up the ECU headers.
I-Pace SE++, MY20, 18" summer & winter, no panoroof, towbar, spare wheel, 21A, TCU 19.2, BECS: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE