Giles Coren's ipace stolen .... again

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
elbocko

Re: Giles Coren's ipace stolen .... again

Post by elbocko » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:22 pm

RDB1 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:58 pm
Hi - Im new here and have an Ipace HSE on order.

The experience with Insurance has been a nightmare - I will be using the car for business and pleasure but I have been struggling to get Insurance at sensible levels and most have insisted that a Thatcham category S5 is installed. When asking why I was told that it was electric, expensive and were being stolen fairly often.

It was off putting enough to seriously cancel but I don't have time to mess about so am going ahead and fitting a tracker. Hopefully it will never be used...

Look forward to your helpful advice in the future but not new to Jags, currently in a Fpace S.

Robert
Your I-Pace has as standard Thatcham S7 tracker. https://www.jaguar.co.uk/incontrol/secure-tracker.html. You should be able to get the certificate from the JLR website or your dealer to show your insurance company.
If you wish there are additional trackers that you can add such as https://automatrics.ecwid.com/Choose-Model-c12874021 although their website is saying that they are sold out of everything at the moment.
El Bocko

E 2ERO, SE, Firenze Red, MY19, 18". Still loving it.
Infotainment - S21A_21.10.6-676616 as at 13/5/2021
Vehicle Connectivity system 19.2 as at 20/4/2021
Battery Energy Control System: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE
H288 completed

KenNI

Post by KenNI » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:26 pm

RDB1 wrote:

The experience with Insurance has been a nightmare - I will be using the car for business and pleasure but I have been struggling to get Insurance at sensible levels and most have insisted that a Thatcham category S5 is installed. When asking why I was told that it was electric, expensive and were being stolen fairly often.

It was off putting enough to seriously cancel but I don't have time to mess about so am going ahead and fitting a tracker. Hopefully it will never be used...

Look forward to your helpful advice in the future but not new to Jags, currently in a Fpace S.

Robert
Robert

I initially had a problem getting insurance with my existing provider and eventually took out a multi-car policy with LV.

RDB1

Post by RDB1 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:02 am

bluenun wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:48 pm
RDB1 wrote:
I have been struggling to get Insurance at sensible levels and most have insisted that a Thatcham category S5 is installed. When asking why I was told that it was electric, expensive and were being stolen fairly often.

Robert
Robert - recent research by Which? concluded that ev car insurance is £45 cheaper than fossil fuel cars. Unless your claims history is very unusual, you should be able to get a very reasonable insurance deal. No need for the car to have a second tracker!
I wish that were true - but I have tried 4 different brokers and 3 online companies - all are saying the same thing and i think there positions have recently changed. My record is near perfect, no fines, no claims but they don't like business activity in particular, why that makes much of a difference - who knows

RDB1

Post by RDB1 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:05 am

elbocko wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:22 pm
RDB1 wrote:

Robert
Your I-Pace has as standard Thatcham S7 tracker. https://www.jaguar.co.uk/incontrol/secure-tracker.html. You should be able to get the certificate from the JLR website or your dealer to show your insurance company.
If you wish there are additional trackers that you can add such as https://automatrics.ecwid.com/Choose-Model-c12874021 although their website is saying that they are sold out of everything at the moment.
Thanks for that and I done extensive research myself, unfortunately the only category the insurers are interested in is S5 which is on the Connect pro option but this has to be built in on production and as mine is built I have to add this to it.

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:15 am

RDB1 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:05 am
elbocko wrote:
RDB1 wrote:

Robert
Thanks for that and I done extensive research myself, unfortunately the only category the insurers are interested in is S5 which is on the Connect pro option but this has to be built in on production and as mine is built I have to add this to it.
Who are you insuring with?

I found for my iPace and GTR there were more insurance options if I added an approved tracker (which I did in one of my GTRs) but I also found that the tracker subscription cost more than the saving made from having the tracker and the tracker itself really drains the 12v battery if left for a little while.
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

KenNI

Post by KenNI » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:47 pm

RDB1 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:02 am
I wish that were true - but I have tried 4 different brokers and 3 online companies - all are saying the same thing and i think there positions have recently changed. My record is near perfect, no fines, no claims but they don't like business activity in particular, why that makes much of a difference - who knows
To add and clarify my comment earlier ... I'm insured with LV, two cars under a multi-car policy, one petrol + one EV (ipace), two named drivers for each (me and wife), 9 Years NCD each, and the ipace is insured .. quote .. "Covered for social, domestic and pleasure and also use in connection with your business or profession, excluding commercial travelling."

Maybe the commercial travelling bit would apply to you?

RDB1

Post by RDB1 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:51 pm

electric beagle wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:15 am
RDB1 wrote:
elbocko wrote:

I found for my iPace and GTR there were more insurance options if I added an approved tracker (which I did in one of my GTRs) but I also found that the tracker subscription cost more than the saving made from having the tracker and the tracker itself really drains the 12v battery if left for a little while.
I think it maybe as I'm funding the car via my business which I had quotes ranging form £1300 to £2500 including fitment of a tracker. I tried putting it under my name which bought it down through Admiral but when I declared it was in essence a company car although I owned the company they and Directline didn't want to know. So it depends on your circumstances, personally for me this is a first and have no choice but to go with Insurance through the business and have a tracker fitted. At least it will be properly insured.

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:28 pm

RDB1 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:51 pm
electric beagle wrote:
RDB1 wrote:

I think it maybe as I'm funding the car via my business which I had quotes ranging form £1300 to £2500 including fitment of a tracker. I tried putting it under my name which bought it down through Admiral but when I declared it was in essence a company car although I owned the company they and Directline didn't want to know. So it depends on your circumstances, personally for me this is a first and have no choice but to go with Insurance through the business and have a tracker fitted. At least it will be properly insured.
My car is via my business too that should make pretty much zero difference providing that you are the registered keeper. Its not my first car via the business either.

I have just got a surprising (because they were much cheaper than my current cover) set of quotes today as I am also looking to renew my wifes insurance. I paid £1100 or thereabouts, today Churchill quote £600.

I suggest looking at Compare the market or gocompare and detail the ownership arrangements of your car appropriately when getting a quote.
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

RDB1

Post by RDB1 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:39 pm

electric beagle wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:28 pm
RDB1 wrote:
electric beagle wrote:

My car is via my business too that should make pretty much zero difference providing that you are the registered keeper. Its not my first car via the business either.

I have just got a surprising (because they were much cheaper than my current cover) set of quotes today as I am also looking to renew my wifes insurance. I paid £1100 or thereabouts, today Churchill quote £600.

I suggest looking at Compare the market or gocompare and detail the ownership arrangements of your car appropriately when getting a quote.
yes thanks tried all that but after speaking with Churchill now, their position like all the others is that as its technically a company vehicle as it will be paid for by the company they cant insure me. This is a recent ruling change for them and it seems many others...

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:04 pm

RDB1 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:39 pm
electric beagle wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:28 pm
RDB1 wrote:

yes thanks tried all that but after speaking with Churchill now, their position like all the others is that as its technically a company vehicle as it will be paid for by the company they cant insure me. This is a recent ruling change for them and it seems many others...
I got a gocompare quote on exactly this basis with Churchill earlier today. Owner, company car, registered keeper, me. Its not technically a company car IT IS a company owned car but this in and of itself has never caused me a particular problem and whether its a company car or not that alone should not require a tracker, that would only be needed if you live in a high risk area.

If you go and ask them it seems to me that its just asking for more scrutiny if you fill in the quote form honestly and they accept it, then its their problem not yours.