Giles Coren's ipace stolen .... again

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
KenNI

Giles Coren's ipace stolen .... again

Post by KenNI » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:49 pm

He says he had the keys in a 'lead box'. Is it possible to clone the key if this was the case?

https://mol.im/a/9790949

electric beagle

Re: Giles Coren's ipace stolen .... again

Post by electric beagle » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:55 pm

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy

Seems to me that if you live in an area with regular car theft it is probably a good idea to move rather than blame the car manufacturers
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

Delta5

Post by Delta5 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:52 am

Smarter technology only breeds smarter thieves, they find ways of getting past any security device quickly - especially electronic devices. All you can do is deter the casual thief or joy rider, professionals will get the car with violence if needed, so take care because they are probably high on drugs.

Mechanical locks can be effective but modern battery powered angle grinders will cut those off in less than a minute
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior, Air suspension, 18in wheels, Drivers pack, 360. arrived 16th July, very nice.

frogmill0

Post by frogmill0 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:36 pm

Car found. In Camden.
2020 HSE. Farallon Pearl Black with black pack, pan roof, privacy etc.

elbocko

Post by elbocko » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:14 pm

The report claims that he kept his keys in a Faraday pouch. I wonder how they stole it and whether both sets are in a Faraday pouch?
El Bocko

E 2ERO, SE, Firenze Red, MY19, 18". Still loving it.
Infotainment - S21A_21.10.6-676616 as at 13/5/2021
Vehicle Connectivity system 19.2 as at 20/4/2021
Battery Energy Control System: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE
H288 completed

Delta5

Post by Delta5 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:57 am

Best guess, someone captured the electronic code in a car park or restaurant - it transmits all the time
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior, Air suspension, 18in wheels, Drivers pack, 360. arrived 16th July, very nice.

KenNI

Post by KenNI » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:41 pm

Delta5 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:57 am
Best guess, someone captured the electronic code in a car park or restaurant - it transmits all the time
I was wondering what would stop the key being cloned even when it was sitting in a stationery car which is open, say being stopped at traffic lights or when I'm waiting for the missus to come out M&S? ;)

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:09 pm

KenNI wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:41 pm
Delta5 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:57 am
I was wondering what would stop the key being cloned even when it was sitting in a stationery car which is open, say being stopped at traffic lights or when I'm waiting for the missus to come out M&S? ;)
Think we need to keep a sense of proportion, why would anyone go to all that trouble for an iPace its not a Bugatti is it?
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

RDB1

Post by RDB1 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:58 pm

Hi - Im new here and have an Ipace HSE on order.

The experience with Insurance has been a nightmare - I will be using the car for business and pleasure but I have been struggling to get Insurance at sensible levels and most have insisted that a Thatcham category S5 is installed. When asking why I was told that it was electric, expensive and were being stolen fairly often.

It was off putting enough to seriously cancel but I don't have time to mess about so am going ahead and fitting a tracker. Hopefully it will never be used...

Look forward to your helpful advice in the future but not new to Jags, currently in a Fpace S.

Robert

bluenun

Post by bluenun » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:48 pm

RDB1 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:58 pm
I have been struggling to get Insurance at sensible levels and most have insisted that a Thatcham category S5 is installed. When asking why I was told that it was electric, expensive and were being stolen fairly often.

Robert
Robert - recent research by Which? concluded that ev car insurance is £45 cheaper than fossil fuel cars. Unless your claims history is very unusual, you should be able to get a very reasonable insurance deal. No need for the car to have a second tracker!