Android Auto & INSTRUMENT PANEL

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
ytcan
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:35 am
Location: Turkey

Android Auto & INSTRUMENT PANEL

Post by ytcan » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:18 pm

I don't know if anyone asked this here before, but has anyone figured out a way to get the Google Maps up onto the instrument panel. I love the Google Maps for ease of use and now I have to look down & to the center console to see the map & the turn directions.

Abu Dhabi Dude
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:34 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Android Auto & INSTRUMENT PANEL

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:24 am

ytcan wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:18 pm
I don't know if anyone asked this here before, but has anyone figured out a way to get the Google Maps up onto the instrument panel. I love the Google Maps for ease of use and now I have to look down & to the center console to see the map & the turn directions.
Can’t be done. Only the car satnav can be put on the instrument panel cluster.

Ascot
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:31 pm
Location: Lincs, UK

Re: Android Auto & INSTRUMENT PANEL

Post by Ascot » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:02 pm

Abu Dhabi Dude wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:24 am
ytcan wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:18 pm
I don't know if anyone asked this here before, but has anyone figured out a way to get the Google Maps up onto the instrument panel. I love the Google Maps for ease of use and now I have to look down & to the center console to see the map & the turn directions.
Can’t be done. Only the car satnav can be put on the instrument panel cluster.

Agreed. But is there good reason why not?

The driver display can take information from Android Auto - you can get the Spotify information displaying on the media screen for example.
It should only take a software tweak to allow Google Maps or Waze to display there too.
MY21 HSE Eiger Grey, Black Pack.
Share £100 with me when switching to Octopus: share.octopus.energy/navy-gull-138

Abu Dhabi Dude
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:34 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Android Auto & INSTRUMENT PANEL

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:52 pm

Ascot wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:02 pm

Agreed. But is there good reason why not?

The driver display can take information from Android Auto - you can get the Spotify information displaying on the media screen for example.
It should only take a software tweak to allow Google Maps or Waze to display there too.
I believe media is handled differently. Media information is passed from CarPlay/AA to the in-car media player in the infotainment system. The dashboard is not displaying the Android Auto or CarPlay media information, but the in-car media information from the Pivi Pro or TouchPro Duo.

I believe that Apple CarPlay does now support side loading to a secondary display (I think that was introduced in iOS 13 or 14), but it has to be incorporated by the vehicle manufacturer. I’ve not heard of a car that does this yet, but probably somebody has.

electric beagle
Posts: 895
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:23 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Android Auto & INSTRUMENT PANEL

Post by electric beagle » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:13 pm

Going back to the superior Android Auto I think it is a similar problem that it was not designed to fit multiple screens only a single rectangular screen. To show maps as part of a dash display would be tricky since every manufacturer is likely to have a different display layout. There would need to be a degree of standardisation and AA adaptation to work with multiple screens.

Whilst there are many many things software and hardware related that JLR could and should be blamed for integrating functionality not supported by the AA platform is not really one of them.

The only possibility is that if AA provide a standard in future AND JLR want to support it AND it is only software AND it is offered to all Pivi owners not just new customers as an update AND it works (a very real question with JLR) then you may get your wish.

Too many improbable things in that list on the JLR side for me to hold my breath
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

Abu Dhabi Dude
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:34 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Android Auto & INSTRUMENT PANEL

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:48 pm

Yawn. One of those people. I referred to both in my post.

electric beagle
Posts: 895
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:23 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Android Auto & INSTRUMENT PANEL

Post by electric beagle » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:34 pm

Abu Dhabi Dude wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:48 pm
Yawn. One of those people. I referred to both in my post.
You went on to say what Carplay supports AA does not currently support dual displays.
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

elbocko
Posts: 731
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:49 pm
Location: Fareham, Hampshire

Re: Android Auto & INSTRUMENT PANEL

Post by elbocko » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:11 pm

Maybe there is a safety issue regarding putting phone information onto the driver's dedicated display. Any form of external data or interaction with the drivers display/HUD may be considered unsafe?
El Bocko

E 2ERO, SE, Firenze Red, MY19, 18". Still loving it.
Infotainment - S21A_21.10.6-676616 as at 13/5/2021
Vehicle Connectivity system 19.2 as at 20/4/2021
Battery Energy Control System: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE
H288 completed

Abu Dhabi Dude
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:34 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Android Auto & INSTRUMENT PANEL

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:55 am

electric beagle wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:34 pm

You went on to say what Carplay supports AA does not currently support dual displays.
So? I discussed both. As it was relevant to the topic and would be relevant to other people reading it. Interesting to know that the so-called “superior product” has less features though.

electric beagle
Posts: 895
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:23 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Android Auto & INSTRUMENT PANEL

Post by electric beagle » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:09 am

Abu Dhabi Dude wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:55 am
electric beagle wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:34 pm

You went on to say what Carplay supports AA does not currently support dual displays.
So? I discussed both. As it was relevant to the topic and would be relevant to other people reading it. Interesting to know that the so-called “superior product” has less features though.
Possibly a bit like the superior iPace has so many more issues than the inferior e-Tron and Tesla options ;)
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

Post Reply