NL to Spain

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
TomP

NL to Spain

Post by TomP » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:19 pm

Covid permitting we are travelling to Spain in July. This has been discussed before but curious to have your views:
We are planning on driving there in two days. I can borrow someones Volvo V60 D3, or take the i pace..

What would you recommend? And is the ABRP reliable from NL to Spain (North East). Thanks!

kermit68

Re: NL to Spain

Post by kermit68 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:29 pm

I've recently had a rountrip Rome - Barcelona with my I-Pace. ABRP is pretty good provide that you use a more realistic consumption reference @110 km/h. I'm using 225 wh/km with summer tires and it's almost spot on.
I can't comment NL to south France, but from there to Spain the motorway and the chargers are the ones I've used in my trip. There are plenty of Ionity, some Allego HPC (in France) and Spain is not that bad either. Some Ionity are under contrucion so you may even get more stations if they will complete the works before your journey.
For me it's feasible without major problems, at least for the part of the trip I know.
MY21 Yulong White SE, 20", head-up display, air susp, matrix lights, privacy glass, black pack and other fine stuffs
MY20 SE - gone

ANBO

Post by ANBO » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:24 pm

Think ABRP is perfect. I use 250wH/km for suboptimal daily commutes, but from last summer I recall 225 wH/km is an achievable target for long distance. Depends a bit on the weather, your driving, and your confidence.

Have been playing with routes as well through France, Spain and Portugal and am more concerned with the plethora of charging networks. France is catching up on roaming with the main networks I use. Portugal I found Miio that covers all roaming within Portugal. For Spain however I have not found something yet where I can reliably roam across most provisies, making it a lot harder, because you need different subscriptions. Most of which are in Spanish only and requiring a local address (welcome to 2021!). Thus far Repsol looks promising, but Ionity seems the safest bet in Spain.

Coming back to ABRP. It's great, but remove Ionity and you will get (possibly) questionable chargers or where you need different cards for each stop. E.g in Spain it started to add Porsche Network (office hours only and a far as I know private), shopping malls (24/7???), or locations with a single multi outlet charger (will it work? Be available).... not something you want on a road trip with a car that only does 7kWh on AC.

In short, also looking for some tips, but keep the filters light and ABRP will route you through fast, reliable chargers.
🇨🇭 EV400 HSE (MY2020; MAR); 20"🔆
⚙️ H264 ⚙️ ICM: S21A ⚙️ VCS: 19.2
⚙️ BECS: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE ⚙️ Maps: 06.2020

Rfidias

Post by Rfidias » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:11 am

In Spain there are three networks that are reliable and with chargers that “shake hands” well with the I-pace: Easycharger, Iberdrola and Ionity. Avoid Endesa/Juicepass at all costs: quite unreliable. Wenea would be a fourth one, with weird locations, a bit in the middle of nowhere but good customer service. I don’t think they will require a local address to register. I am registered in all of them, and they work OK. Most chargers are 50kW ones, though.

Where in Spain are you heading? In some regions, the network is much better than others.

ANBO

Post by ANBO » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:09 am

Rfidias wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:11 am
chargers that “shake hands” well with the I-pace: Easycharger, Iberdrola and Ionity. Avoid Endesa/Juicepass at all costs: quite unreliable.
Thanks! Had forgotten Iberdrola. Their app seems to good as well, covering also other networks and France for a fair price. It's this one that I cannot register in the app, i.e. First the ID# gives trouble but I manage to pass it somehow, but then the address won't allow be to change country.

Will try online and have a look at they other 2 as well.

ANBO

Post by ANBO » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:39 pm

ANBO wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:09 am

Will try online and have a look at they other 2 as well.
No luck online with Iberdrola neither. Send them a message.

ColinM

Post by ColinM » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:11 pm

I have not been able to register with Iberdrola either as it seems to require you to have residency in Spain. I have charged at Iberdrola destination chargers at IKEA using my NextCharge card. I also have cards for ChargePoint, Chargemap and Electromaps which all show Iberdrola chargers as available although I have not tried to use them yet.
MY21HSE, Eiger Grey, Oyster interior, Black pack, Privacy glass, Panoramic sunroof, Clearsight mirror.

ANBO

Post by ANBO » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:59 pm

Chargemap and Chargepoint are true to their name and charge 85ct respectively 100ct per kWh where Iberdrola rate is only 30ct. Nice for emergency, but...

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:31 am

ANBO wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:59 pm
Chargemap and Chargepoint are true to their name and charge 85ct respectively 100ct per kWh where Iberdrola rate is only 30ct. Nice for emergency, but...
Have a look at their Ionity rates, they exceed €1 in some cases.

Where previously there was a hunt to find a charge card where you could cheaper at Ionity, these days you really need to avoid paying more. More tricky for me is that Ionity renewed their app but I can't get the new app to work or even worse register properly - it is refusing to send a SMS with a code despite several attempts.
I-pace S + HUD + Drive Pack + Light Oyster Sport Seats + Tailgate I Ceasium Blue | 18" wheels
Infotainment 20C + Telematics 19.2 | ODO 71,149km | 2021 Efficiency 196watt/km

ANBO

Post by ANBO » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:52 pm

I agree. There are a few apps out there that are adding service fees as though they invested in the charging infrastructure themselves. Still have the apps, but never use them.

As for Ionity, their prices are high, but have very good chargers. Overall I think 0.79 is comparible with petrol per km, but here the markup is not tax but investment in network expansion. For the occasional long range trip I consider it worth the reliability and 'sponsoring'.

The weird thing is their app has never worked and the new one does not seem to be neither. Luckily Shell, Mobility+ and Swisscharge apps charge the same rate as Ionity, so don't need their app. Swisscharge is even a bit cheaper at 73ct ... exchange rate?

Just found BTW that Maingau seems to cover Iberdrola at 55ct per kWh. Not quite 30ct, but getting close.