Which home charger?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
chicken george

Re: Which home charger?

Post by chicken george » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:30 pm

My sparkies coming to site visit regarding 40m of cable and a 22kw charger. Although i believe the ipace only handles 11k actual power flow at home.
3phase however will balance the amps across the phase much better.
This will link to the main farm meter with its 110kw solar
Happy days

Just need a 27mile extension lead now for full piece of mind

ianipace

Post by ianipace » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:01 pm

40 metres of 5 core 10mm2 armoured cable, you will have to pawn the John Deere! Seriously, with solar your bills will be pretty reasonable. Your DNO will be very happy you are balancing the phases even if only drawing 11Kw!

Stay safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and now with Gloss Black 18" wheels in lieu of the 20" energy sappers! Ohme Smart charger.

chicken george

Post by chicken george » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:10 pm

I see the cable as a long term investment,electric cars are
inevitable I guess. So might as well start with as decent charger as possible.
I could open it up for public use and sell them a coffee and ginsters, at petrol station prices

I can see a battery storage solution here one day, so i can use the solar energy out of bright sunshine hours.

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:59 pm

Coops wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:16 am

Thank you for that. I presume then that full regen braking isn't available at 100% (it can't regen if the battery is already full?)
Exactly. It varies depending on temperature as well, but in general full regen is only available below about 88%. In cold weather I’ve seen limited regen as low as 82%. At 100% there is almost no regen available.

KenNI

Post by KenNI » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:13 am

I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus and I'm very happy with it. Timed Economy 7 charging at night via app to get cheapest rates works perfectly, and avoids need to configure charging times set in car.

Only (slight) downside is that app reports 'session' start time when you plug it in to car and end time when you detach from car, even though it doesn't actually charge until Economy 7 on/off times set in app.

chicken george

Post by chicken george » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:18 am

Surely all these wall chargers are very similar as the are not really chargers,more just app/timer controlled switches?

The real charger is in the car , the wall charger simply provides power.

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:00 pm

chicken george wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:18 am
Surely all these wall chargers are very similar as the are not really chargers,more just app/timer controlled switches?

The real charger is in the car , the wall charger simply provides power.
The 3 real differentiators seem to be tethered or not. The design and the control system.

Just because you have an app controlled switch doesn't mean the app is very good.
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger