Road trip to the French Alps

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
taemrm

Road trip to the French Alps

Post by taemrm » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:18 pm

Hi all,
With the cost of flights spiralling over February half term next year (2022) I am seriously considering taking the IPace down to the French Alps for the annual family ski trip. Le Tunnel is £200 return.

Has anyone done this? What's the experience and can you recommend a particular charging network or route (we usually go to the Grand Massif ski area). Also are the Michelin Latitude tyres ok for snow, with chains?

Any advice welcomed.
Meaty

Jelle v/d Meer

Re: Road trip to the French Alps

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:53 am

Flight might be the cheaper option if you have to use the Ionity network to charge your car. :-), in French the were up to last year the only really reliable HPC network, the rest was mostly 50kW chargers - similar to UK situation.

In the upcoming summer I will be driving nearly 4,000km and excluding starting full, recharging at hotel and recharging at our 2nd location all other charging will likely be with Ionity. That likely will be 750kWh (4000km * 250wh/km - 250kWh start full battery) * €0.79 = €600
I-pace S + HUD + Drive Pack + Light Oyster Sport Seats + Tailgate I Ceasium Blue | 18" wheels
Infotainment 20C + Telematics 19.2 | ODO 71,149km | 2021 Efficiency 196watt/km

pqr

Post by pqr » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:25 pm

Have a look at the thread "French Alps from Calais. Any tips?" at viewtopic.php?t=3064.

As Jelle observes, Ionity is the best option in France but will be expensive. There are other 50kW chargers but they tend to be isolated so you can face a long wait if someone else has just plugged in.

I would suggest arriving at Folkestone early and collecting a (free) full charge at the EuroTunnel terminal while you have breakfast. If both chargers are occupied then there are half a dozen Ionity chargers at the Aire de Rely about 20km down the A26. The area round Reims is a bit tricky. It's probably worth taking a diversion to the Aire de Gueux near Vrigny on the A4. Then somewhere like Langres Perrogney and Jura. Bear in mind that lifting the car through 1000m will consume an extra 8kWh, so you need an extra 10% of a battery for the final ascent! I guess that consumption may be higher in cold weather as well.

I don't know about tyres. We have a set of Jaguar snow socks but haven't had cause to use them yet.
Last edited by pqr on Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iPace EV400 SE, MY2020, Corris Grey, 20" wheels. Driver assist, air suspension.
Vehicle connectivity 19.2, battery energy control BN-AAE-BC-AC-BE, Infotainment S21A_21.10.6-676616 (15/5/2021).
EO Mini Pro https://share.octopus.energy/good-panda-931

ianipace

Post by ianipace » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:16 pm

Beware the French methodology is to charge by the minute NOT Kw!
If your car will only take 50 odd Kw per hour then it will cost a small fortune!
Interestingly, Octopus Juice has a deal with Ionity which reduces the cost a bit and, more importantly, charge per Kw using the French Ionity chargers.

I can not see how charging by the minute has got traction, maybe the folk who decided this owned Porsche Taycan Turbos which charge very fast!

All we can do is keep nagging JLR to do a deal with Tesla!

Stay safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and now with Gloss Black 18" wheels in lieu of the 20" energy sappers! Ohme Smart charger.

kermit68

Post by kermit68 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:56 pm

I used some Allego 350kw chargers in south France during my rountrip from Rome to Barcelona. Fast as Ionity but located outside the motorway with very similar price (I used Chargemap card).
I think that for the longer legs of your trip the cost will be the one set by Ionity in any case.
MY21 Yulong White SE, 20", head-up display, air susp, matrix lights, privacy glass, black pack and other fine stuffs
MY20 SE - gone

John32

Post by John32 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:36 pm

The French Ionities charge per minute because of some strange regulation, not by choice. Note that as long as your charging speed is above 60kW average, it’s actually cheaper

taemrm

Post by taemrm » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:44 pm

Thanks for the replies and some really useful stuff there. Will get researching... For info the flights are around £2,500!

Oilymo

Post by Oilymo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:09 pm

Watching this thread with great interest. I absolutely loathe flying for a skiing holiday and regard the drive as part of the holiday. Normally we take a Merc diesel which can do approx. 760 miles to the tank but am seriously thinking about taking the iPace. I have mapped the route a few times on ABRP and must admit the 3.5 hours of charging is a bit daunting
MY20 iPace HSE with black pack in Caesium Blue. 22” Wheels with pan roof