Charging On Car Parks Run By Private Companies

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
10cc

Charging On Car Parks Run By Private Companies

Post by 10cc » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:41 pm

Hi all I hope everyone is keeping well?

An immediate thought hit me when I pulled onto a Shell garage forecourt in Ealing the other day to charge. Please see the email I have sent to Britannia Car Parks and Shell.

My thoughts are explained in the email:

Hi I wonder if you can answer a question for me please?

I have a fully electric car. If I pull into a car park operated by your company, according to your signage I can only park for 30 minutes BUT (if you are going along way and need a full or almost full charge) you cannot charge an electric car from 20 or 30% to 100% in 30 minutes.

Depending on the speed of the charger my car can take 1 - 1.5 hours to get a good charge. Every charger I have ever used has a maximum connection time of 90 minutes. If you go over this time period you are billed an extra £10.00 for the privilege (to stop people “hogging” chargers, which is fair enough).

So my question is: If I am using a charger can I stay for 1.5 hours without getting a car parking charge?

If yes how does your system know I am charging my car? (I could just be parked there and doing almost anything).

If no then what is the point in having chargers on managed car parks with only 30 minutes parking allowed?
June 2019 MY20 HSE
Caesium blue
Black pack
Privacy glass
20" gloss black wheels
Infotainment: S21A_21.10.6-676616
Software: 19.2
BEC: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE
Maps: 08.030.0116.0157
Home Charger: "Dumb" Rolec. Timed charging via MyPace app

10cc

Re: Charging On Car Parks Run By Private Companies

Post by 10cc » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:43 pm

Forgot to say I will let you know their replies.......
June 2019 MY20 HSE
Caesium blue
Black pack
Privacy glass
20" gloss black wheels

udank

Post by udank » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:18 pm

Good question!
I-Pace EV400 SE, MY20, fuji white, ebony interior, heated front seats and privacy glass.

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:23 pm

This is an excellent question. It brings up some other points in this area.

We all know that PodPoint has a deal with VW/Tesco to put a few 7.5kWh chargers in Tesco Car parks (by a few, I mean a few chargers in a lot of stores). Those stores have well-publicized parking limits. 3 hours normally but can be 2 in places.
Do those limits apply to EV's that are being charged? What about when the store is closed?

Also, some Chargers are in car parks where you have to pay to park. Some places are very good and specifically, say that EV's when charging are exempt from paying the parking charge. Others are devoid of signage. I wish that there was a common policy here or at least making the operators put up appropriate signage.

I'm in N.W Wales at the moment and pretty well the only game in town when it comes to DC chargers are the GeniePoint ones that are located in the areas Morrisons' supermarkets. These have 3 hour parking limits but have yet to see anyone checking... famous last words perhaps?
These have been working very well so far.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S20C since 11th Dec 2020 Maps : whatever is current/can be bothered to download

10cc

Post by 10cc » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:43 am

Morning all. No reply from Britania parking yet! Had the following reply from Newmotion:

Dear Mr Auden,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately we do not operate any car parks. Please check the signage again and contact the company responsible.

We hope hereby to have informed you sufficiently. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us by sending an email to customerservice@newmotion.com or by calling +44 20 3868 1036. You can reach us Monday-Friday between 7am and 9pm and Saturday/Sunday between 9am and 6pm.

Kind Regards,
Kristen

The New Motion EVSE Ltd
Davidson Building 4th Floor
5 Southampton Street
WC2E 7HA, London

My reply to this email was:

Hi thank you for your reply. With the greatest of respect I know you don't operate car parks, that is why my original email was address to the company that do and you were cc'd in on it!

My inference to you was….Why are electric vehicle chargers being put into car parks with a 30 minute parking duration???? What good is that to an EV driver who is going a long way and needs a good charge that is going to take more than 30 minutes?

Surely there needs to be some "talking" between car parking companies and EV charging point companies (such as yourselves) to waiver this parking limit when someone is charging an EV…..

This is a very serious issue as the fines are considerable if you stay parked for more than 30 minutes, so please don't dismiss this serious issue with one sentence denying all responsibility in this matter!

Kind Regards

Kevin Auden
June 2019 MY20 HSE
Caesium blue
Black pack
Privacy glass
20" gloss black wheels

Topdown

Post by Topdown » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:50 am

The parking company is probably being paid to have the charger.
HSE Yulong White
MY19 - 150 miles on the clock Oct-20
22” Wheels Style 50609 Carbon Inserts
All toys except HUD
Vehicle connectivity 19.2
Battery Control System BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE
Infotainment updated 30-Apr-21
S21A_21.10.6-67661