Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Jaguar windshield quality

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  symos 
#1 ·
Had my S in for a service last week, at the local dealer / official Jag place.

While it was there, I asked them to have a look at some scratches in my windshield which I noticed after an exceptionally cold winter (for Norwegian west coast standards anyway). The scratches are obviously caused by the windshield wipers and my guess is from some debris being pulled/pushed over the glass (you can see the scratches following the wiper pattern across the windshield). Now, the I-pace is the most expensive car I've ever owner, so naturally I'm extra careful with it. Our other car, a 2016 Kia Soul EV, less so. This does however show no signs of scratches on the windshield.

I was pretty sure it wouldn't be covered by warranty, but asked them to check just to be sure.

It wasn't, however the guy I talked to made some interesting comments when he informed me about this. He said that these types of scratches were pretty normal with Jaguars, and that it was far from the first time he'd been asked about warranty. I asked about glass quality and if there was anything that indicated lack of quality for the I-pace. He said something like "Well, let's just say Jaguar is aware of this but does not consider it a warranty issue".

On a related note, he could also inform me that Jaguar considers any work done on warranty "their data" and that they (the dealer/garage) are not allowed to share details about what has been done with the customer. Wow.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

See less See more
#2 ·
Just a little further north from you, and also have some scratches on the windscreen. These are particularly noticeable in the early spring/late autumn months when the sun is very low. During normal summer driving, I don't see them - luckily!

I try to be careful with my windscreens, and had practically no scratching at all after 3 years with my previous A3 etron. Similarly the Volvo V50 I had before that. The I-Pace windscreen does seem susceptible to this, despite my best efforts at keeping things clean and using plenty of washer fluid when a clean is needed during a journey.

I've only had a few warranty things carried out, but Sandven has always given me a good run-through of work carried out and components changed when I pick the car up. Haven't received a printout, though.

#6 ·
I wonder whether the coating is the problem here?
To keep the car cool in the summer, both the panoramic roof glass and windscreen have a UV/heat reflective coating. This effectively makes the inside of the I-Pace a Faraday cage for RF reception, but never mind because you won't fry when the sun is out!
Could it be that the quality of this coating is suspect, especially when the wipers are on 'auto' and try to wipe a dry screen because the detector has a blob of water on it, coupled to the fact the wipers do an extra wipe after squirting with screenwash.

Stay safe

Ian

#8 ·
I also have this issue. Actually it's my second windshield as the first one got broken by a small rock and replaced by the current one, an original part fitted at the jaguar dealer.

Didn't notice any issues during the first months but in the winter, when the sun is much lower, a lot of micro scratches became visible. There are no patterns on the scratches so I don't think they were caused by the wipers or by washing/ cleaning (which was never done on those automatic washing machines that tend to leave scratches all over the paintwork).

I still haven't talked to the dealer about it but I'm not very hopeful given that more than 6 months passed before I noticed them.

Never seen anything like these scratches in any of the other 6 cars I've had, so I'm quite disappointed by it.

#10 ·
syncd said:
I also have this issue. Actually it's my second windshield as the first one got broken by a small rock and replaced by the current one, an original part fitted at the jaguar dealer.

Didn't notice any issues during the first months but in the winter, when the sun is much lower, a lot of micro scratches became visible. There are no patterns on the scratches so I don't think they were caused by the wipers or by washing/ cleaning (which was never done on those automatic washing machines that tend to leave scratches all over the paintwork).

I still haven't talked to the dealer about it but I'm not very hopeful given that more than 6 months passed before I noticed them.

Never seen anything like these scratches in any of the other 6 cars I've had, so I'm quite disappointed by it.
The i-Pace has a UV protection film on the windshield, which most cars don't*.

So, are you sure that the micro scratches are on the glass (external side) and not on the film (internal side)?
It's easy to cause micro scratches to the plastic film if you (or whoever washes the car) don't use good quality micro-fiber cloths, or even if some small piece of debris was on the cloth when cleaning the windshield. At least to me this sounds more probable than the glass being scratched.

*OK, it might be common for cars at this price point, but not for cars in general.

#11 ·
symos said:
The i-Pace has a UV protection film on the windshield, which most cars don't*.

So, are you sure that the micro scratches are on the glass (external side) and not on the film (internal side)?
It's easy to cause micro scratches to the plastic film if you (or whoever washes the car) don't use good quality micro-fiber cloths, or even if some small piece of debris was on the cloth when cleaning the windshield. At least to me this sounds more probable than the glass being scratched.

*OK, it might be common for cars at this price point, but not for cars in general.
That's certainly possible. Do you have any tips on how I can check if the damage is on the internal or external side? I'll look closer but I'm not sure if I'll be able to distinguish that.

Is the damage is on the protection film can it be recovered?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.