Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

OBD-II PID and Torque Pro

22K views 66 replies 19 participants last post by  Vrbob 
#1 ·
Hi all!

The CANBUS of the I-Pace produces masses of fascinating information. This info is readable via the On Board Diagnostics port.
OBD-II adapters are cheap and provide masses of real-time information in the form of Parameter IDs (PID).
Mobile Apps exist that can display what is read from the OBD-II adapter. The troubles is that the apps need to know what the information actually represents.

I see on this forum an impressive amount of activity around PIDs, all in an effort to discovered what information they contain. I mean, impressive, how people are identifying the results, linking them to complex calculations and capturing their actual meaning.
It seems that the car knows how many AC charging it has done, ever, how many DC sessions, the current temperature in the ventilation duct to the passenger legs etc. Pretty much anything one could think off...

Kermit68 and ANBO and Dernotte and iomagico and Maxwell400 and many others sprinkled information here and there, which is much appreciated. There are more than 1000 posts on this!
But a lot of this work seems to go to waste for a large part of our population - including myself.

Now, making that wealth of info usable to us, commoners, should not be terribly complex :cool:

If I assume that Torque Pro is the target application of choice, then ideally we would have:
  • 2 downloadable lists of PID definitions in a format that can be imported in Torque Pro (one each for MY19-20 and one for MY21)
  • a very brief explanation of how to import this list
  • perhaps some examples of Torque Pro dashboards

With that information, all us commoners could display the info of our choosing...
Worthwhile?

See less See more
#27 ·
Some questions to the experts...

> Is there a PID or calculation to show the total energy (kWh) consumed during a trip?
> Is there a way to show the regenerated kWh of a trip? In more detail than the trip computer does?
> By default, Torque offers a series of performance measurements - 0-100, 1/4mile etc. They don't work for the I-Pace though. Was anyone more lucky with this? Always a good move to satisfy our inner juvenile spirit
> When the car is powered off, Torque no longer manages to connect to the OBD2 adapter. Power Cruisecontrol, on the other hand, still allows a connection no matter how long the car has been asleep... Is there a solution for that?

Cheers!

#28 ·
Grunt said:
Some questions to the experts...

> Is there a PID or calculation to show the total energy (kWh) consumed during a trip?
> Is there a way to show the regenerated kWh of a trip? In more detail than the trip computer does?
> By default, Torque offers a series of performance measurements - 0-100, 1/4mile etc. They don't work for the I-Pace though. Was anyone more lucky with this? Always a good move to satisfy our inner juvenile spirit
> When the car is powered off, Torque no longer manages to connect to the OBD2 adapter. Power Cruisecontrol, on the other hand, still allows a connection no matter how long the car has been asleep... Is there a solution for that?

Cheers!
> Is there a PID or calculation to show the total energy (kWh) consumed during a trip? Yes, Torque has rolling average function, kWs = Trip Time x RAVG(power)
> Is there a way to show the regenerated kWh of a trip? In more detail than the trip computer does? Think so, you can use the ABS() function to get regenerated power from power
> When the car is powered off,.... should not be a difference from PCC, but it might be that PCC is polling more actively and keep the car awake, which is not a good thing.
I can wake up the OBD port through Torque.

#29 ·
Hi All,

Version 2.0 of the Torque Pro dashboard and PIDs for I-Pace 2019 EV400.

View attachment I-Pace 2019 EV400 ABRP v2.0.zip

As per previous instruction, download, extract and copy the files in the extendedpids and dasboards folders of .Torque.

If you have your own dashboard please export it to save a copy:
White Black Communication Device Font Mobile phone

If you have your own list of PIDs export it to save a copy:
Font Terrestrial plant Brand Photo caption Screenshot

Although you can add, I recommend to clear list, before you add a predefined list. This prevents duplications and hence conflicts.

Add predefined set: I-Pace 2019 EV400 ABRP v2.0
Import dasbiard: I-Pace 2019 EV400 ABRP v2.0

Key new to this version:
- auto hold
- air suspension height mode and measures.
- ABRP live data ready (more on that on another post).

Note: suspension measures include height and pressure. Height is a measure on the suspension, which I converted to an approximation of ground clearance. Obvious variations for each individual car and conditions should be considered.

Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Attachments

Reactions: uzi
#32 ·
scm said:
You need to fix the misspelling of Suspension ACCESS Height. Too many 's's and not enough 'n's! ;)
For those who want this fixed, either edit in text editor or directly in Torque Pro:

- press and hold the dial in question
- select display configuration...
- Select Jump to PID editor
- update Short name

Font Asphalt Technology Terrestrial plant Darkness

The dial display is sticky, so
- press and hold the dial in question
- select Delete display
- press and hold on a free area in the display
- Select Add a display, select type, select PID, select size...

Pronto.

Attachments

#40 ·
OK found the issue. Google changed something, forcing the App files to move. Problem is that the Google blocks access to the new location with standard MyFiles app. I was able to get there with another app in the playstore:
Xiaomi Inc File Manager

The new .Torque/ folder is:
/Android/Data/org.prowl.torque/files/

#45 ·
Did you take the v2 file?

#48 ·
Not that I am aware off. Would recommend though to get the app from the store instead of an APKmirror (if I understood you correctly). The app is actively updated, not in the last place to keep intune with the changes in android itself. It is not uncommon for older versions to misbehave due to OS updates.

#50 ·
We have the speed and since it is a single speed gearbox you can calculate the rpm. We do also have the voltage, current going into the motors and can calculate the power. With power and speed torque can be calculated.

#54 ·
I’m having trouble getting Torque to connect to my OBD scanner. I use OBDLink MX+. It works with ARBP on my iPhone but not with PowerCruise Control. Cannot get it to work on my Android phone. Is there a particular brand/model OBD scanner I should get?

#55 ·
I managed to get “Car Scanner Pro” working on my iPhone with OBDLink MX+. It’s a really great app actually. They have an “I-Pace” profile right out of the box. Just select it during the first launch of the app and all the telemetry you want is already setup on 8 or so pre-configured dashboards. Coolant in/out, battery temp, SOC, SOH, Power, Amps, Volts, charging data, suspension height and pressures, tyre pressures and temperatures, suspension modes, driving modes, etc.

The only missing bit is torque, horsepower, RPM of motors. Things like that would have to be calculated based on vehicle speed and power (kW).

Very impressive though with nice graphs and the ability to geek out after a trip and analyse every bit of data recorded. I feel like an F1 engineer pouring over telemetry after a race weekend. 😀

#62 ·

OK. I will buy and install the full version since I liked the PHEV on with my Outlander so much. Will test it today. If it works then please update the description of supported cars to include Jaguar I-Pace. Will I be able to see the data for both my Outlander and I-Pace on the web portal or do I need to create a seperate account? It would be great if the web portal could support multiple vehicles.

#63 ·
Please try the EVWatchdog Lite version first, it's totally functional and free... Then if it works OK and you want the extended figures go for the full version.
Oh and yes... I will update the description, please let me know if the App works correctly.
I will also soon update the website to support the I-Pace.

Thanks for trying the App.

#65 ·
I got it connected and some of the data comes through including motor RPM. There are a few issues though. I will email you and we can collaborate on instant messenger if you like so we don’t spam this thread.