Car Theft

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
PeterM

Car Theft

Post by PeterM » Sun May 02, 2021 11:52 am

An article in today's Sunday Times saying that many expensive cars (including but not exclusively JLR) are becoming "uninsurable" due to thefts by using the car key signal amplified by a relay box. This picks up the signal from the keys in your house and amplifies it to convince the car that the thief has a set of keys and the car is easily stolen. Hence expensive cars with key-less entry facility are a problem.
This can be easily prevented if you keep your keys in a "Faraday Cage" box or wallet. These prevent these signals from the keys being detected. For example Halfords sell a "key signal blocker wallet" for £5 which should, in theory, prevent this. (Other makes are available of course.)
However it seems like a good investment to me!

electric beagle

Re: Car Theft

Post by electric beagle » Sun May 02, 2021 12:06 pm

You can buy a tin of sweets for about £3. If the keys are left in the tin they will not open the door even if right next to it.

Cheaper than one of the signal blockers, will hold more keys and you get to eat the sweets too.
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

scm

Post by scm » Sun May 02, 2021 12:16 pm

electric beagle wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:06 pm
You can buy a tin of sweets for about £3. If the keys are left in the tin they will not open the door even if right next to it.

Cheaper than one of the signal blockers, will hold more keys and you get to eat the sweets too.
Of course, the downside to this is that you get obese and don't have to walk anywhere because you still have the car! :lol:

Stu

Post by Stu » Sun May 02, 2021 4:42 pm

Yes and you have to visit the dentist in lockdown....
MY21 HSE, Eiger Grey

elbocko

Post by elbocko » Sun May 02, 2021 6:25 pm

PeterM wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:52 am
An article in today's Sunday Times saying that many expensive cars (including but not exclusively JLR) are becoming "uninsurable" due to thefts by using the car key signal amplified by a relay box. This picks up the signal from the keys in your house and amplifies it to convince the car that the thief has a set of keys and the car is easily stolen. Hence expensive cars with key-less entry facility are a problem.
This can be easily prevented if you keep your keys in a "Faraday Cage" box or wallet. These prevent these signals from the keys being detected. For example Halfords sell a "key signal blocker wallet" for £5 which should, in theory, prevent this. (Other makes are available of course.)
I tried using a mint tin and it did not block the signal. Bought a Faraday 'Defender' bag from ebay for £7.00 and tested that, it works very well.
El Bocko

E 2ERO, SE, Firenze Red, MY19, 18". Still loving it.
Infotainment - S20C_20.16.5-536345. It has gone backwards, now S20B_20.27.3-568398 @ 26/7/2020
Vehicle Connectivity 17.2,
Battery Energy Control Shh, it won't say. H264v3 completed.

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Sun May 02, 2021 7:28 pm

elbocko wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:25 pm
PeterM wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:52 am
I tried using a mint tin and it did not block the signal. Bought a Faraday 'Defender' bag from ebay for £7.00 and tested that, it works very well.
Find a better sweet tin boots sweet tins work extremely well, they also have sugar free sweets ;)
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

scm

Post by scm » Mon May 03, 2021 12:16 am

elbocko wrote:
I tried using a mint tin and it did not block the signal.
That'd be the holes in the mints, then? ;)

elbocko

Post by elbocko » Mon May 03, 2021 6:40 pm

:D :D :lol:
scm wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:16 am
elbocko wrote:
I tried using a mint tin and it did not block the signal.
That'd be the holes in the mints, then? ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
El Bocko

E 2ERO, SE, Firenze Red, MY19, 18". Still loving it.
Infotainment - S20C_20.16.5-536345. It has gone backwards, now S20B_20.27.3-568398 @ 26/7/2020
Vehicle Connectivity 17.2,
Battery Energy Control Shh, it won't say. H264v3 completed.