Change kWh/100mi display to mi/kWh?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
chrisell
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:20 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, USA

Change kWh/100mi display to mi/kWh?

Post by chrisell » Sun May 02, 2021 5:31 am

Simple question: any way to change the energy displays in the I-pace to show the more useful miles-per-kWh? I don’t find the the kWh/100mi value particularly intuitive and find myself doing the mental math to convert that value quite often.
Red 2020 I-pace

Ascot
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:31 pm
Location: Lincs, UK

Re: Change kWh/100mi display to mi/kWh?

Post by Ascot » Mon May 03, 2021 6:46 pm

chrisell wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:31 am
Simple question: any way to change the energy displays in the I-pace to show the more useful miles-per-kWh? I don’t find the the kWh/100mi value particularly intuitive and find myself doing the mental math to convert that value quite often.

Judging by the stunned silence here, I guess it must be a "No" then!

Pity - I would also refer the miles/KWh display.
Strange that this is available in the Jaguar Remote app, but not the car!
MY21 HSE Eiger Grey, Black Pack.
Share £100 with me when switching to Octopus: share.octopus.energy/navy-gull-138

electric beagle
Posts: 655
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:23 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Change kWh/100mi display to mi/kWh?

Post by electric beagle » Mon May 03, 2021 6:58 pm

Not sure its intended to give a rolling forecast of range just indicate relative driving efficiency, above 42 is pretty bad, 40 to 42 is not bad and below 40 is pretty good.
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

Frobs
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:17 pm
Location: Wiltshire UK

Re: Change kWh/100mi display to mi/kWh?

Post by Frobs » Mon May 03, 2021 9:42 pm

Indeed. I too would rather like this. miles per gallon = distance per unit of energy. The other way round makes less sense to me.

When setting up the remote app I think I remember seeing this as an option. But as we are having trouble getting our in control account set up (waiting for JLR to get back to us) I'm afraid I cannot yet help. I was hoping someone more knowledgeable would be able to answer.

Frobs
21MY SE Portafino Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, Black Pack

electric beagle
Posts: 655
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:23 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Change kWh/100mi display to mi/kWh?

Post by electric beagle » Mon May 03, 2021 10:16 pm

Frobs wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:42 pm
Indeed. I too would rather like this. miles per gallon = distance per unit of energy. The other way round makes less sense to me.

When setting up the remote app I think I remember seeing this as an option. But as we are having trouble getting our in control account set up (waiting for JLR to get back to us) I'm afraid I cannot yet help. I was hoping someone more knowledgeable would be able to answer.

Frobs
The remote app does give you miles per kWh but it does that based on the total trip being measured. I guess the efficiency rolling measure would fluctuate too dramatically if it was miles per kWh to the point where it might be a lot less useful in the way that say the instant consumption figures are in an ICE car.
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

Quakered
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon May 06, 2019 1:00 am
Location: London

Re: Change kWh/100mi display to mi/kWh?

Post by Quakered » Tue May 04, 2021 12:13 am

Am I missing something? You only have to divide the 100 miles by the kwh number. Surely not a very challenging bit of mental arithmetic.
SE Firenze Red, Oyster leather, glass roof, HUD, Air Suspension, delivered 6/19

scm
Posts: 1242
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:11 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: Change kWh/100mi display to mi/kWh?

Post by scm » Tue May 04, 2021 11:13 am

Quakered wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:13 am
Am I missing something? You only have to divide the 100 miles by the kwh number. Surely not a very challenging bit of mental arithmetic.
But more challenging than just reading a more sensible number .... ;)

Ascot
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:31 pm
Location: Lincs, UK

Re: Change kWh/100mi display to mi/kWh?

Post by Ascot » Tue May 04, 2021 12:39 pm

Quakered wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:13 am
Am I missing something? You only have to divide the 100 miles by the kwh number. Surely not a very challenging bit of mental arithmetic.

You are missing something.

One is miles per KWh. One is [effectively] KWh per mile - ie the inverse. It's not as simple as moving a decimal point!

Can you do (say) 100 / 43.7 in your head and give the answer to one decimal place....??
MY21 HSE Eiger Grey, Black Pack.
Share £100 with me when switching to Octopus: share.octopus.energy/navy-gull-138

electric beagle
Posts: 655
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:23 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Change kWh/100mi display to mi/kWh?

Post by electric beagle » Tue May 04, 2021 1:26 pm

Ascot wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:39 pm
Quakered wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:13 am
Am I missing something? You only have to divide the 100 miles by the kwh number. Surely not a very challenging bit of mental arithmetic.

You are missing something.

One is miles per KWh. One is [effectively] KWh per mile - ie the inverse. It's not as simple as moving a decimal point!

Can you do (say) 100 / 43.7 in your head and give the answer to one decimal place....??
Again though its an indication isn't it not an absolute, so working out it is roughly 2 miles per Kwh is enough agree it would be nice to have it anyway you choose but you get the benefit of knowing if you need to drive more slowly and sensibly well enough without an exact rolling miles per Kwh average calculation x
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

Delta5
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:32 pm
Location: Midlands

Re: Change kWh/100mi display to mi/kWh?

Post by Delta5 » Tue May 04, 2021 2:40 pm

The problem is that the consumption is reversed Low MPG is bad, low kWh/100 miles is good
But do we really want a decimal result displayed as 2.8 miles/kWh which is pretty good.
Maybe 28 miles/10kWh would be more meaningful
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior, Air suspension, 18in wheels, Drivers pack, 360. arrived 16th July, very nice.

Post Reply