Giles Coren i-Pace Stolen, Tracker easily disabled

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
RichT

Re: Giles Coren i-Pace Stolen, Tracker easily disabled

Post by RichT » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:50 am

There is a thread on this subject worth reading -

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4400

The IPace keyfob is one of the few on the market that are in theory immune to relay attacks.

How the thieves are able to make a clone key is still a mystery - it seems unlikely that just scanning for the key fob/car interactions would give them enough information.

I have some suspicion of a security leak at JLR or the dealer.

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:30 am

Lobster wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:51 am
Was this a publicity stunt? The car was found nicely parked within walking distance of his home.
If it was a publicity stunt I don't think he did his image any good at all with the language he used. It certainly didn't endear me to him, not that I liked him much before anyway.

Andy
SE in Caesium Blue with Light Oyster Leather interior, panoramic roof, 20" wheels, 68 plate MY19 https://share.octopus.energy/night-wasp-638

Thincat

Post by Thincat » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:15 am

It appears to me that there is a relatively simple way for JRL to fix this problem without recalling all the vehicles; Instead of having the "welcome screen" which forces you to touch the screen to acknowledge it (I suspect this is just to disguise the fact that the software takes a little while to boot up but it is an irritation because it does nothing useful for the driver) that welcome screen could be replaced with a screen that requires the input of a pin number before the car will start. I understand that Tesla already does this.

I imagine that the change could be made by an over-the-air software update but even if the car had to go to a dealer I would be prepared to pay for it so the feature could be self-financing.

Perhaps at the same time, the requirement to log into the "in-control" system with your email address and password could be dispensed with (usually this prompt occurs while driving and is a dangerous distraction) entering the pin number could result in an automatic log-in as well.

Not only would this improve the security of JLR cars but it would remove two of the most irritating things about the software.
MY20, Cesium Blue HSE, no sunroof, air suspension, HUD. Changed 20in wheels to 18in :D .

Daon7800

Post by Daon7800 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:51 pm

Thincat wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:15 am
It appears to me that there is a relatively simple way for JRL to fix this problem without recalling all the vehicles; Instead of having the "welcome screen" which forces you to touch the screen to acknowledge it (I suspect this is just to disguise the fact that the software takes a little while to boot up but it is an irritation because it does nothing useful for the driver) that welcome screen could be replaced with a screen that requires the input of a pin number before the car will start. I understand that Tesla already does this.

I imagine that the change could be made by an over-the-air software update but even if the car had to go to a dealer I would be prepared to pay for it so the feature could be self-financing.

Perhaps at the same time, the requirement to log into the "in-control" system with your email address and password could be dispensed with (usually this prompt occurs while driving and is a dangerous distraction) entering the pin number could result in an automatic log-in as well.

Not only would this improve the security of JLR cars but it would remove two of the most irritating things about the software.
I like it.
Youlong White HSE MY20.
Info: S20B1_20.30.2-578440 VCS: 19.2 BECS: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE

ianipace

Post by ianipace » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:19 pm

Given that JLR can't make their software remember a user profile or password for the navigation, then I doubt if asking it to remember a PIN has any traction, pun intended!
The Jaguar Assistance loan I-Pace I had recently, had a dongle plugged and tie-wrapped into the OBD2 port, so even JLR doesn't rely on the inbuilt tracking system, now that tells you a lot, doesn't it!

Stay safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and Gloss Black 18" wheels. Ohme Smart charger.

DMZ

Post by DMZ » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:29 pm

For me the good news with all of this is that I learnt that my I-Pace has a tracker and a guardian mode. I don't know if really matters if it works or not so long as the insurance company thinks it does.

NigelC

Post by NigelC » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:12 pm

Daon7800 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:53 pm
NigelC wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:31 pm
TheBook wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:08 am
Guardian Mode informs you if the car is unlocked, has been started or doors have been opened. It does this even if your keys are being used. Therefore, in theory, should someone take your keys and unlocked your car, you will be alerted. Of course a phone signal will be a prerequisite.
Hi,

Just tried this, and went to our car to unlock and open the drivers door.

The only alert that came on my iPhone was hidden in the Jaguar Remote App itself. If I hadn't opened the app, I wouldn't have seen the notification.

Is there a way to get an audible notification or better still a notification that comes up on the home screen on the iPhone?

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Nigel
Go to settings and scroll down to the Remote Jaguar app. Go to notifications and make sure they are turned. Choose your alert style and turn on sound.
Thanks - just tried this and still no joy. It's a bit peculiar as I get notifications quite regularly from our Nest cameras.

Thanks anyway.

Kind regards,
Nigel
MY 20 SE Corris Grey
Delivered 09/19
H264, H270, 20C

fa147

Post by fa147 » Sat May 01, 2021 2:10 pm

ianipace wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:19 pm
Given that JLR can't make their software remember a user profile or password for the navigation, then I doubt if asking it to remember a PIN has any traction, pun intended!

Ian
I think I know what you are saying Ian but I think the whole point would be to either enable the PIN (so that the car doesn't start without it) or disable the functionality altogether (i.e. you live in safe area and don't want the features enabled).

What would be the point of enabling the PIN to protect the car and then wanting the car to remember the PIN so that you don't have to enter it!!! just disable the "PIN to start" feature?
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
S20C1_20.48.3-635557 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 08.030.0116.0157
Home Charging: Zappi 2.0 | I-Pace Member's Map: https://bit.ly/3cCU3Ei