All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
ianipace

Re: dash cam

Post by ianipace » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:27 pm

Topdown wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:48 am
Thanks Ian,

What Dash cam did you fit?

My car is at the dealers for some warranty work and H288.
Strange that mine is in the dealers too but for for the Regen braking going on and off without warning! I got a phone call this afternoon to tell me it is fixed, I then asked about the H288 fix and whether they had done that. Unbelievably they didn't know about it! Surely they get send Topix updates, and surely they must read them? Anyway I get the car back tomorrow and then they will let me know when the back ordered part is in for the H288 fix. The wonders of JLR dealerships!

As for the Dash Cam I went for the BlackVue DR590W with the add on GPS antenna. Useless in an I-Pace!
But with the GPS repeater it works faultlessly.
I have a Nextbase dash cam with GPS and that too has a perfect signal using the GPS repeater as well.

Both are good dash cams, both makes have options to have a rearward facing camera, the choice is up to you!

Stay safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and Gloss Black 18" wheels. Ohme Smart charger.

IynCognito

Post by IynCognito » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:10 pm

2-BEV wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:55 pm
There is an adaptor for dash cams which plugs in to the OBD socket under the steering wheel. Costs about £5.99 from a well known internet site. It is mentioned elsewhere on this forum but I have failed miserably in attaching a link. Sorry!
As mentioned, this is another very cheap and quick option.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/In-Car-Dash- ... 1195.m1851

It plugs into the OBD2 port under the steering wheel, so much shorter cable run. Has a switch which allows 2 settings. Either powered all the time, or powered just for 5 minutes after car if "switched off". Worked perfectly for me, and powers my 2 camera (front and rear) setup!

fa147

Post by fa147 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:32 pm

Goldjag wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:41 pm
I am sure you have all heard this before but here goes.

Just attended appointment at Halfords to have a dashcam fitted and was told to leave the car and call back in one hour.

Returned to store to be given the key back and was informed they can't fit dashcams on an I Pace as there was no live
electrics and it could drain the battery. i suggested the battery was quite large but this fell on stony ground.

Anybody solved this problem as I really like a record of what is happening on the road in front of my car
Hi, just coming back to your original post, what the Halfords person said to you was a load of tosh.

I have had my BlackVue 2 channel dash cam fitted to my I-Pace in July of 2019. It was done at Halfords (Friern Barnet, North London) and he did a brilliant job. All done in 1 hour and all the cables concealed. You can see pictures of the job done on my car in other threads I had posted on just look for BlackVue DR9000s-2CH.

Back then I thought I had to buy a BlackMagic Pro which is a devices fitted between the car and the camera and monitors when the battery level falls below a certain amount and then cuts the feed to the dash cam. This is so that the dash cam doesn't run the 12v battery flat.

However, pretty soon after fitting it and while looking on this forum, I became aware that the I-Pace High Voltage Battery tops up the 12v battery all the time to make sure it doesn't fall below usable amounts. This is the same for most EVs and this is the reason for some of the "phantom drain" related to EV.

I removed the BlackMagic Pro almost a year ago now and I have never had the 12v battery fall below the level that the camera stops recording (my cameras record all the time and it doesn't turn off when the car is parked) and this is because.... the HVB trickle charges the 12v....
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
S20C1_20.48.3-635557 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 08.030.0116.0157
Home Charging: Zappi 2.0 | I-Pace Member's Map: https://bit.ly/3cCU3Ei