dash cam

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Goldjag

dash cam

Post by Goldjag » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:41 pm

I am sure you have all heard this before but here goes.

Just attended appointment at Halfords to have a dashcam fitted and was told to leave the car and call back in one hour.

Returned to store to be given the key back and was informed they can't fit dashcams on an I Pace as there was no live
electrics and it could drain the battery. i suggested the battery was quite large but this fell on stony ground.

Anybody solved this problem as I really like a record of what is happening on the road in front of my car

2-BEV

Re: dash cam

Post by 2-BEV » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:55 pm

There is an adaptor for dash cams which plugs in to the OBD socket under the steering wheel. Costs about £5.99 from a well known internet site. It is mentioned elsewhere on this forum but I have failed miserably in attaching a link. Sorry!
MY21 SE Portofino/Oyster OS 2.0.9a P2C9. Mini Cooper SE

ianipace

Post by ianipace » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:55 pm

Fitting a dash cam on a Jaguar I-Pace is moderately easy.
For a start there are 12v feeds in the overhead console, one 12v always on and the other goes off when you lock the car. (It is the interior lighting circuit!!)

You need to go the www.powerfuluk.com
Entrer Item Part No. EWL200-Tap-Loom
or Part No. EWL303-Kit if your dash cam is powered by USB (5v)

This gives you an always on feed. I've used this for months with no appreciable 12v battery drain.

This for the New Defender but fits every JLR vehicle from the RR Evoque onwards including I-Paces, F-Paces and E-Paces.

I'll nag Simon at Powerfuluk to add it to the Jaguar listing!

If you really want a feed that does go off then with that same loom (USB or 12v) tap into pin 1 feed instead of the pin 6 feed used.

So Pin 1 is 12v and goes off when the car is locked
Pin 6 is 12v all the time, never goes off.
Pin 4 is ground (-ve) There are other pins that are ground but Pin 4 is the one I use.

The over head console is very easy to get into, a trim tool makes it VERY easy, and there is plenty of room above it to store spare cable!
Follow the guides on PowerfulUK.

The cable to the dash cam just need to be pushed down to the windscreen by gently pulling the head lining to get the plug through, which is fairly pliable. There are some points around the edge that it is held up by magnets!
This is so much easier than hiding cable behind A pillar trim etc.
There is absolutely no need to find a way to the cable to under the rear seat fuse box!!

Be prepared that you will get a very iffy GPS signal to the dash cam if it is a variety that has GPS speed and location on it.
The interior of the car is a very good Faraday Cage because of the windscreen and roof head and UV coating. Well documented!
There is a very simple cure for this.
Buy from Amazon a GPS repeater, about £30. Powered by USB and you put the antenna under the wiper trim in the bonnet. The receiver up in the space in the overhead console near the dash cam. Simples!

Stay safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and Gloss Black 18" wheels. Ohme Smart charger.

Topdown

Post by Topdown » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:51 pm

How do you get power to the antenna under the wiper trim?
HSE Yulong White
MY19 - 150 miles on the clock Oct-20
22” Wheels Style 50609 Carbon Inserts
All toys except HUD
Vehicle connectivity 19.2
Battery Control System BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE
Infotainment updated 30-Jan-21
S20C1_20.48.3-635557

kermit68

Post by kermit68 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:37 pm

ianipace wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:55 pm
Be prepared that you will get a very iffy GPS signal to the dash cam if it is a variety that has GPS speed and location on it.
The interior of the car is a very good Faraday Cage because of the windscreen and roof head and UV coating. Well documented!
There is a very simple cure for this.
Buy from Amazon a GPS repeater, about £30. Powered by USB and you put the antenna under the wiper trim in the bonnet. The receiver up in the space in the overhead console near the dash cam. Simples!

Stay safe

Ian
Brilliant Ian, thanks for sharing. Could you please give me more details on how to install the GPS antenna? How did you get from the overhead console down and out to the wiper trim?
MY21 Yulong White SE, 20", head-up display, air susp, matrix lights, privacy glass, black pack and other fine stuffs
MY20 SE - gone

ianipace

Post by ianipace » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:06 am

Right folks, sorry forgot to include the 'routing of the GPS antenna' section!

To start with, there is room in-between the headlining and roof to put the GPS receiver and spare cable (USB and the cable coming from the Antenna).
Now to install this open the bonnet, sorry frunk for those across the pond, and undo the two plastic trim screws that cover the 12v batteries. You can now see the bulkhead to the interior of the car. Choose either a grommeted hole already there and push the antenna SMA connector through. If you want you can drill your own hole and use your own grommet.
The antenna has a 3M sticky pad so it can be stuck to the underside of the black windscreen plastic trim.
You will have to drop the glove box to get to the back, which is not the easiest thing to do! It is meant to unclip to allow the pollen filter to be changed.
There are two main parts to the GPS receiver/transmitter as you can see. The receiver antenna (The bit that needs to be outside the car to get a good signal) has a long cable, long enough to mount it at the rear of the car.
The GPS antenna is the small flattish square thing with the coil of wire attached in the Amazon photo, by the way.
You will have to feed the wire up the A pillar and under the headlining, not too difficult.

I haven't tried it, but as the rear roof section on the left and right of the 'shark fin' antenna is plastic, so it might work keeping the antenna inside the car. You would only have to feed the cable along the edge of the headlining, a very simple task. This would save the faff of finding a way for the cable and SMA plug to get from the front inside the car!

With GPS unit in the Centre console, position it as close to the Dash Cam as you can, it doesn't have to be touching it, just near. You will then get a very good GPS signal inside the car!
My car is at the dealers, so when it is back I'll take some photos and post them.

Stay safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and Gloss Black 18" wheels. Ohme Smart charger.

ianipace

Post by ianipace » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:24 am

Topdown wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:51 pm
How do you get power to the antenna under the wiper trim?
The antenna is fed power from the Tx/Rx unit and that stays in the overhead console and is powered by USB (5v)

You will need the PowerfulUK lead which as the USB power box on it. If by any chance you need two USB feeds then buy the one without the USB box and buy from Ebay or Amazon a 12v to 2x USB sockets box and connect that to the break out lead.
JZK Car Power Converter DC 12V to 5V/ 3A Voltage Converter with Dual USB Adapter Connectors for phone charging car audio radio etc

Stay safe

Ian

Topdown

Post by Topdown » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:48 am

Thanks Ian,

What Dash cam did you fit?

My car is at the dealers for some warranty work and H288.
HSE Yulong White
MY19 - 150 miles on the clock Oct-20
22” Wheels Style 50609 Carbon Inserts
All toys except HUD
Vehicle connectivity 19.2
Battery Control System BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE
Infotainment updated 30-Jan-21
S20C1_20.48.3-635557

JAGiAM

Post by JAGiAM » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:47 pm

See my notes on my 2 permanently powered Dashcams that have never flattened the battery AND never Should!! viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4398
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Oyster Leather Interior, 18” 5055 rims, Panoramic Roof, Active Air Suspension, AdSR etc..

kermit68

Post by kermit68 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:40 pm

ianipace wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:06 am
Right folks, sorry forgot to include the 'routing of the GPS antenna' section!
Thanks Ian ;)
MY21 Yulong White SE, 20", head-up display, air susp, matrix lights, privacy glass, black pack and other fine stuffs
MY20 SE - gone