Overnight charging advice

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
KenNI

Re: Overnight charging advice

Post by KenNI » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:49 am

Update ... I did another test last night ... interesting result .. not quite sure what to make of it all.

1. Parked car in garage at 6.33pm. No preconditioning or departure times of any sort set on the car. Cable NOT connected. Wattcat reporting "Not charging", 79% charge state. All good, as expected. Note time 6.33pm

beforeconnecting.png

2. Connect cable, it flashes white for a minute or so. Wattcat reporting 79% charged. Wattcat reporting "Initializing", 79% charge state. Again, as expected. Note time 6.36pm

afterconnecting.png

3. Checked Wallbox schedule (set a few days ago) , set to start 1am->7am. All as expected.

afterconnecting2.png

4. Check Wattcat before going to bed at 11pm, still says "Initializing", 79% charge state (ie there has been no charging since I connected cable, and charging hasn't started). Again, all fine as expected.

5. Check Wattcat in morning - reporting "Full", 100% charge state. Looks like all worked great.

aftercharging1.png

6. Check Wallbox session for overnight charging. Now starts to look odd ...

aftercharging3.png

Note - I expected Wallbox session to show charging started at 1am, but it appears to have started at 6.34pm. This is NOT correct, as I checked at 11pm and charging definitely wasn't started then. The time of 6.34pm is very interesting, as that is exactly when I connected the charger to the car. Therefore, it appears that the Wallbox charging schedule worked correctly (without any timings being set in the car), BUT it is being report wrongly in the Wallbox sessions report (it reports when charger was connected, as AndyP suggested, rather than when charging started).

Also, note that charging appeared to run for 14 minutes (from 6.34pm) and then start again at 1.16am. I would suggest that charging actually started at 1.00am-ish, ran for 14 minutes, stopped (for whatever reason) and then started again at 1.16am.

One thing I can't work out .... if the car was at 79% before charging, how come the Wallbox only records 2.4kWh to get to 100% ? :? I'm a new owner and new to EV and maybe I'm missing something - any ideas?

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:04 am

Very strange. As you say, it all seems correct although like mine the app shows the connection time rather than the actual charge start time.

But I don't understand why it shows 4 different 'events' when mine only shows 1. Also 2.4kWh to add 21% can't possibly be correct, something is wrong there. Mine added 30kWh to raise the battery by35%. I think you need someone with more knowledge than me to help, maybe ADD has some ideas? It might be worth trying Wallbox Support to explain it.

Other than that I'm jealous that yours shows 261 miles at 100% but mine only ever goes to around 230 miles, but that's a totally different subject. I assume yours is a new car.
SE in Caesium Blue with Light Oyster Leather interior, panoramic roof, 20" wheels, 68 plate MY19 https://share.octopus.energy/night-wasp-638

KenNI

Post by KenNI » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:24 am

AndyP wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:04 am
But I don't understand why it shows 4 different 'events' when mine only shows 1. Also 2.4kWh to add 21% can't possibly be correct, something is wrong there. Mine added 30kWh to raise the battery by35%. I think you need someone with more knowledge than me to help, maybe ADD has some ideas? It might be worth trying Wallbox Support to explain it.
Will do. Will also ask ask about session "start" time.
AndyP wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:04 am
I assume yours is a new car.
Yes, new car. :D

KenNI

Post by KenNI » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:23 pm

Update: I contacted Wallbox about the odd start time for sessions (which seemed to show the session time as when the charger was plugged in, rather than the time the scheduled charging started.)

They have confirmed my findings. I quote ..... "The times that are reflected in the sessions are the times when the EV gun was plugged in and when the EV gun was removed from the car. It is recorded in this manner. "

Bit odd, but that explains one thing anyway!

KenNI

Post by KenNI » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:27 pm

Update 2: I queried earlier in this post how I could have charged from 79% -> 100% with only 2.4kWh as reported by Wallbox app. I happened to check Wallbox app just now and it has been updated, to show charge which started at 1.30am and ran for nearly 4 hours. Looks like this is missing charge report. Maybe app is only updated when you 'end' the session, by removing the cable?

Screenshot_20210407-201903.jpg

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:24 pm

That makes sense. I'll probably charge mine tomorrow night so I'll check to see if that's what mine does.
SE in Caesium Blue with Light Oyster Leather interior, panoramic roof, 20" wheels, 68 plate MY19 https://share.octopus.energy/night-wasp-638

IanW

Post by IanW » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:55 pm

AndyP wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:11 pm
IanW wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:21 pm
I seem to have multiple problems!
1) I've got the 2021 S, so I have the updated infotainment front end
2) I have a Pod Point on Octopus, so no charger programming ability
3) I have programmed optimum charge times in the car (also reflected in the Remote app - BTW, which version to you advise using?) but when I specified a departure time two days hence, it sat in initialising mode the whole time and didn't charge at all
4) The most frustrating thing is that every time I do a timed charge, it wipes my profile settings and I have to re-enter - which is doing my head in.

I love the car, but I hate the software and can't get anything out of Jag software guys to help me.

Thanks,
Ian
Pretty sure I've read somewhere on this forum that Pod Point have added timed charging in a software update.
Thank you. It may be that I've signed up to Beta testing, or that it's been rolled out for real, but that upgrade has come through this evening. Initial impression is that it's working. But I'll update tomorrow.
Still get my profile deleted every time I charge. Really doing my head in.

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:31 am

KenNI wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:27 pm
Update 2: I queried earlier in this post how I could have charged from 79% -> 100% with only 2.4kWh as reported by Wallbox app. I happened to check Wallbox app just now and it has been updated, to show charge which started at 1.30am and ran for nearly 4 hours. Looks like this is missing charge report. Maybe app is only updated when you 'end' the session, by removing the cable?
I charged mine for 4 hours last night (0.30-4.30) and the Statistics show 20.55 on 8th April which was the time I plugged the car in. After I unplugged it this morning it was well over an hour before the session appeared on the Statistics page although oddly it showed on the Graph page much sooner.

The app seems a bit odd but basically it's ok when you realise how it works and the charger is working perfectly so I'm happy. I'm still unsure why yours shows so many different 'events'.

When I come down in the morning a quick glance at my smart meter shows the extra 30kWh used overnight so I know the car charged correctly without even picking my phone up.

2021-04-09 11.03.41.jpg

KenNI

Post by KenNI » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:36 am

Sounds good, AndyP.

Like you, I'm not too bothered by odd reports in app as long as car charged fine in off-peak rates and saves messing around with scheduling in car etc.

Davidg999

Post by Davidg999 » Tue May 04, 2021 3:48 pm

Hi
I've been using the scheduled charging from the car's app to set a preferred charge period. I now have a zappi and prefer to use it to control the scheduled charging. I cannot see how to remove the preferred charge period from the car's app - can anyone help?