Overnight charging advice

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
KenNI

Overnight charging advice

Post by KenNI » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:49 am

Hi,

I picked up a new ipace this week and loving it. I have one question on overnight charging which hopefully someone help with.

I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus which I schedule to run from 1am-8am for offpeak rate. The Wallbox app shows this OK and says charging "On hold" so looks correct.

I haven't set any times in the car or car app. When I leave the car in the evening, I connect it to the charger, and it says "Initialising". However the car doesn't charge overnight and when I check in the morning it still says "Initialising".

If I remove scheduling on the Wallbox, and just connect the cable, the car charges fine.

Any advice, please?

Ken

KenNI

Re: Overnight charging advice

Post by KenNI » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:51 am

Just came across this video which explains my timed charging issue and gives solution. Will try this tonight.

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:07 am

I find that sometimes the pins don't quite connect this is easier to spot when you plug the car in without timing set. I do that maje sure all is connected then disable my charger and set it to timed charging
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

Darrinf

Post by Darrinf » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:54 am

I have a zappi and use the timed charging settings on that and have never used the car settings. That charges fine during the specified times on the charger. The car says initialising when the lead us plugged in until the timer kicks in.
Sept 2018 first edition

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:35 pm

I'm also new to an I-Pace and electric cars so I have very limited experience. But I have the same Pulsar Plus charger as you.

The first time I tried a timed charge it failed and the only reason I could think of was that I had set the Protection by Autolock to On (in Advanced Options in the app). I assumed it would automatically unlock when the Scheduled Charge time was reached and then lock again afterwards. I have now turned off the Autolock and the charger has worked perfectly every time. When I disconnect in the morning I set the lock on manually.

I might be wrong but it's an easy check anyway.
SE in Caesium Blue Metallic with Ebony/Light Oyster Leather interior, panoramic roof, 20" wheels, 68 plate MY19 https://share.octopus.energy/night-wasp-638

KenNI

Post by KenNI » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:14 pm

AndyP I checked that and Protection by Autolock is switched off.

I would obviously prefer not to have to mess around with setting time on car too, so am interested how you got the Wallbox scheduling on its own. Can you share your precise Wallbox app settings? Also, do you have ANY charging settings set in the car? Do you just attach cable and Wallbox starts charging and stops on its own schedule?

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:21 pm

KenNI wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:14 pm
AndyP I checked that and Protection by Autolock is switched off.

I would obviously prefer not to have to mess around with setting time on car too, so am interested how you got the Wallbox scheduling on its own. Can you share your precise Wallbox app settings? Also, do you have ANY charging settings set in the car? Do you just attach cable and Wallbox starts charging and stops on its own schedule?
I don't have any charging settings on the car at all, in fact I've never even looked at how to do it on the car.

On the Wallbox app I have a scheduled charge starting at 12.30am and ending at 4.30am (I'm on the Octopus Go tariff). As I only need to charge every few days I just set it for the day I want, I don't need to charge every day. Don't forget that as it's in the early hours it needs to be the next day. So tonight's charge would be Sunday morning.

When I connect the lead the WattCat shows Initialising and the light inside the charge point on the car flashes white for about a minute and then goes out. The charger ring of LEDs pulses blue. I'll attach a couple of screenshots from the app with a timed charge set for tomorrow morning. I haven't plugged the lead into the car.

2021-04-03 19.13.19.jpg

2021-04-03 19.13.07.jpg

SE in Caesium Blue Metallic with Ebony/Light Oyster Leather interior, panoramic roof, 20" wheels, 68 plate MY19 https://share.octopus.energy/night-wasp-638

KenNI

Post by KenNI » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:34 pm

Excellent, thanks. Will try that first before trying suggestions in the video. Would be much simpler!

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:32 pm

I think that the software has been updated since ADD made the video and I think the info no longer applies.
Good luck!

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:06 pm

AndyP wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:32 pm
I think that the software has been updated since ADD made the video and I think the info no longer applies.
Good luck!
No, the video still applies, I have been using it now for nearly two years that way with the Wallboard Pulsar, its the only method that works for my car. I was in touch directly with Wallbox in Spain for about 4 months, we tried everything, but nothing would work so I could use the Wallbox timing on its own. Wallbox blamed JLR, JLR blamed Wallbox, I gave up with them all and just use the ADD method, its easy and works every time.

On the other hand, ADD has a Wallbox, same as mine and his works on its own no problem, go figure! ;)
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 Black, full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc
InControlTouch Pro: S20A_20.16.5-536345 Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 - H228, H264, H270