Granny charging in Europe

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Rdm

Granny charging in Europe

Post by Rdm » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:54 am

Fingers crossed the borders will open and we'll be able to travel to Europe this year.

If so, I'll take a granny charger with me. It is 3 pinned, so a few questions
1. Can I use a 3 pin to 2 pin adapter straight into the wall, or is something going to blow?
2. *if* I can get a 3 pin to 2 pin extension lead, is that a good idea?
3. Can I buy a 2 pin granny cable (My supposition is yes for everyone living on the Continent, but just checking!)
4. Can I use a 2 pin granny cable with an extension lead?

Thanks. I'm not an electrician so please nothing technical! (I can barely tell the different between an amp, a watt and a volt...)

Jelle v/d Meer

Re: Granny charging in Europe

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:35 pm

Rdm wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:54 am
Fingers crossed the borders will open and we'll be able to travel to Europe this year.

If so, I'll take a granny charger with me. It is 3 pinned, so a few questions
1. Can I use a 3 pin to 2 pin adapter straight into the wall, or is something going to blow?
2. *if* I can get a 3 pin to 2 pin extension lead, is that a good idea?
3. Can I buy a 2 pin granny cable (My supposition is yes for everyone living on the Continent, but just checking!)
4. Can I use a 2 pin granny cable with an extension lead?

Thanks. I'm not an electrician so please nothing technical! (I can barely tell the different between an amp, a watt and a volt...)
Below is my uneducated view:
1) Yes you should be able - all an adapter does is change the incoming 3 pin to a 2 pin. It is more a plug than an adapter - no change is made to voltage/amps
2) That could work as well - just make sure that you fully roll out your extension lead else it might get too hot.
3) Yes you can - I wouldn't expect any physical difference other than the plug between an UK or continent granny charger. I expect it to pretty expensive.
4) Yes you can, have done it many times. Like I said at point 2 - just make sure to fully unwind/roll out your extension cable. I already had 1 extension cable broken because I left it winded up.
I-pace S + HUD + Drive Pack + Light Oyster Sport Seats + Tailgate I Ceasium Blue | 18" wheels
Infotainment 20C + Telematics 19.2 | ODO 67,900km | 2020 Efficiency 199watt/km @ avg 74km/h

symos

Post by symos » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:38 pm

1. Yes, just make sure it's rated for 16A. The granny charger is 10A, so allow some headroom.
2. You mean instead of option 1, or because you'd need an extension anyway? See answer 4.
3. Of course
4. Same as you can on a 3 pin granny cable. Which means, yes, but with proper precautions (properly rated, not overly long*, not twisted etc.)

*Technically it can be as long as you want, but then you'd need even bigger gauge

GSIpace

Post by GSIpace » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:33 pm

The Ipace granny charger supports upto 2.4KW. This may be too much for regular extension boards which you use inside the house as they may not be rated for such high current. Most outdoor garden extensions cables are, and therefore unlikely to blow the fuse or the wire overheating.
Suggest taking a long garden extension cabe and using an appropriately rated Continent to UK converter.

kermit68

Post by kermit68 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:59 pm

Those are 2 different topics: adapter and extension cable.
As far as I know the international regulations on EV charging prohibit both so in theory none of the suggested solutions could be applicable.
That being said, I have both adapters and one extension cable. For adapters I would recommend to get something rated 16A as they are generally better built and should provide a good degree of confidence that nothing will go wrong.

If you will be using the standard jaguar granny charger (10A) for the extension cable I suggest to buy (or built) a 3 x 1,5mm2 if not longer than 20m or 3 x 2,5mm2 if longer. If you have a minimum of diy skills I would suggest you to built you own extension cable selecting good quality plugs (some near waterproof are available).
If you have a different granny charger rated 16A go directly for a 3x2.5mm2 cable and don't exceed 25m in length.

My cable is made using the following (in italian but you get get an idea):

MY21 Yulong White SE, 20", head-up display, air susp, matrix lights, privacy glass, black pack and other fine stuffs
MY20 SE - gone

ianipace

Post by ianipace » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:05 pm

Rdm as Kermit68 says it is inadvisable to use an adapter with an EV charger. You may have wondered why the lead from your granny charger to the mains plug is so short. There is a reason for this, and is laid down the the EV guidance on chargers!
If you are going to extend the length from the mains socket to the car, you are advised to use a Type 2 extension lead that plugs into the Type2 plug, and leave the mains lead short to the mains socket on the wall.
Your problem therefore is how to charge in France who have their version of a schuko plug and you have a UK 3 pin plug on the end.
One answer is to sacrifice the 3 pin UK plug on the granny charger for a 16amp CeeForm (Commando) plug (These are rated at 16 amps and are used by professional sparks for lighting on film sets etc.)

Then buy 2 x 16amp Ceeform sockets and some quality 2.5mm2 cable, say 5 metres and make or get made 1 x 13amp 3 pin UK to 16amp CeeForm socket and 1 x Schuko to 16amp CeeForm socket.

If you want to extend the cable use Ceeform to Ceeform extensions leads using 2.5mm cable nothing smaller. The Ceeform plugs and sockets are made for the job.

These are available ready made incidentally, Ebay etc. but do check the cable used is 2.5mm, so the only thing you would need an electrician for is to put the male 16amp Ceeform plug on your granny charger.

Though strictly not allowed, it would be safe to use because you are using plugs and cable meant to take 16 amps.

DO NOT use a ready made extension lead purchased from B&Q and the like because the cable is nearly always 1.5mm - too small for the current.

It won't be cheap but then doing things safely isn't cheap.

The result is you will have a safe extendable granny charger usable in the UK and France, Germany, Spain etc.

You can buy decent granny chargers with Schuko plugs on of course.

As for France, maybe sometime in late June or July? The risk of France being included on the 'Red' list is pretty high right now.

Stay safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and Gloss Black 18" wheels. Ohme Smart charger.

Gonzalez12

Post by Gonzalez12 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:49 am

Do indeed check if everything is well mounted and not too long. Had some heated situations already due to adapters and granny activity. Perhaps check after 30 minutes or an hour how everything is going in terms of flow and heat development...

Rdm

Post by Rdm » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:41 am

Thanks all for the replies. Looks like the simplest option will just to buy the 10 m schuko (thanks Ian, had no idea this is the name for 2 pin plugs) type 2 cable like this https://evonestop.co.uk/products/type-2 ... 10a-16a-5m and hope I can get close enough to a socket!