Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

MY20 Issues

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Abu Dhabi Dude 
#1 ·
Afternoon

My 'potential purchase of a second hand Ipace continues and I thank everybody who has helped answer my questions so far.

I'm looking at the downsides of the I pace and in particular the MY20 model, both those that can and can't be resolved by an update. Also what is the 12v issue that I've heard of?

Thanks

Mike

#3 ·
The 12 volt system runs the electronics and all the other driving functions it is recharged by a DC to DC converter when the car is running. Some of these have failed leaving the 12v battery flat, quite probably some of the 12v AGM batteries have also failed, they have in other Jaguar models

#4 ·
Like Jeffrey, I very much enjoy owning & driving my MY20 I-Pace.

It's not perfect, but I've owned many Jags (& other cars) and none of them was perfect. For instance, my XJR-S 6.0 V12 was magnificent to drive & my (now adult) kids always say it was the most exciting car I owned, but the truth is the garage bills were enormous & frequent! By comparison the I-Pace is a gem & I won't go back to an ICE for my main car. IMO the key points are:

Pros
Genuinely a drivers car & true to Jaguar heritage
Fast (very)
Carries 4 or even 5 people with ease
Good sized boot
Great sound system
Interior quality & cabin genuinely nice place to be in
Has character & fun to drive especially in Dynamic mode
Home charging (7.2kWh) is key to an easy life & make it very cheap to run (consider Octopus energy for cheap rate power)
Jaguar app on smartphone quite functional, but independent Android (WattCat) & iOS (MyPace) apps are very good
SOTA now seems to work well
Drives well (I may have already mentioned this)

Cons
Slightly laggy infotainment system (improved with recent SOTA updates, maybe more to come?)
Sometimes forgets SatNav login details, mildly irritating, but takes 15 secs to resolve (maybe fixed in a future SOTA?)
Not as economic as some BEVs (but in my personal view this is more than compensated for by the sheer driving pleasure)
Some say slow to rapid charge (oxymoron?) but with new rapid chargers from Shell & BP plus some Ionity (expensive) I've averaged 50-80 kWh which works for me on a long journey pit-stop
Timed charging a bit quirky, but once sussed it's actually very predictable/reliable (unlikely to be changed in future SOTA?)

I can't comment on MY21 as I've not driven one, but as far as I can see the infotainment system has had an big upgrade (but also has bugs that seem to upset some owners) & they have 11kWh AC charging (unusual in UK as most houses only have single phase electrical supply). The 12V battery flattening issue was fixed 2 updates ago, so as long as your MY20 is fully updated by the dealer it should be a non-issue.

These are personal opinions, but I hope they help.

#5 ·
RobN sums it up perfectly in a nutshell!
No car is perfect, and certainly no BEV is perfect!
The I-Pace has faults, but no better nor worse than a Tesla, Audi, Mercedes or any other car from a premium BEV manufacturer.
If you want 12v issues then go for a Kia E-Nero, the I-Pace problems now sorted, pale into insignificance!

It's a Jag and it goes and handles like a Jag. If you like driving Jags, you'll enjoy the I-Pace!

Stay safe

Ian

#7 ·
Gtquan said:
Great car. Some earlier models may have a wiring harness issue that could be an issue. I worry about the future of the company - JLR has major financial issues.
I also have concerns regarding the direction that the new CEO is taking Jaguar. Just to cancel the new XJ saloon without some form of explanation seems very strange when large investments in it have been made. He says that he likes the I-Pace but 5 years before the next significant BEV does seem to be a problem for a company. Will the dealers even be bothered to hang around (although that might be a good thing)?

#8 ·
elbocko said:
Gtquan said:
Great car. Some earlier models may have a wiring harness issue that could be an issue. I worry about the future of the company - JLR has major financial issues.
I also have concerns regarding the direction that the new CEO is taking Jaguar. Just to cancel the new XJ saloon without some form of explanation seems very strange when large investments in it have been made. He says that he likes the I-Pace but 5 years before the next significant BEV does seem to be a problem for a company. Will the dealers even be bothered to hang around (although that might be a good thing)?
Another issue is the customers. Until a few weeks ago I was pretty set on an FPace to replace the Audi Q5 as a second car. Now why would I possibly buy a car with a declared limited shelf, uncertain manufacturer ownership or even continuing business, uncertain dealer support/availability.

The sort of discount needed to offset that risk sufficiently is totally uneconomic. I wouldn't even buy an iPace right now.

#10 ·
electric beagle said:
Until a few weeks ago I was pretty set on an FPace to replace the Audi Q5 as a second car. Now why would I possibly buy a car with a declared limited shelf, uncertain manufacturer ownership or even continuing business, uncertain dealer support/availability.
The car's not going to stop working just because the manufacturer discontinues the model, and dealers or independents will still service them long after they're no longer available new. Get it nice and reliable while it's under warranty and enjoy it for a long time (or at least whil you can still get fuel!).

#11 ·
elbocko said:
Gtquan said:
The XJ luxury saloon and the JPace SUV were both unlikely to make a profit, the JPace in particular competes directly with the Range Rover, as was the case with EPace, taking sales from the Evoque, a great deal of resources were spent, but much much more was needed to put them into production. JLR are loosing a lot of money, to survive they have to rationalize, especially they have to convince investors they have a plan that will work, the production changes are very ambitious, they also have an aging range that needs updating, not to mention EV expansion, it's a big ask.

If the IPace needs to last 4 or 5 yrs they have to improve battery performance and get the software sorted, it's a good car that is being let down by poor service and development.

#12 ·
scm said:
electric beagle said:
Until a few weeks ago I was pretty set on an FPace to replace the Audi Q5 as a second car. Now why would I possibly buy a car with a declared limited shelf, uncertain manufacturer ownership or even continuing business, uncertain dealer support/availability.
The car's not going to stop working just because the manufacturer discontinues the model, and dealers or independents will still service them long after they're no longer available new. Get it nice and reliable while it's under warranty and enjoy it for a long time (or at least whil you can still get fuel!).
All fine if you never want to sell but the impact on residuals of JLR going belly up will be brutal. I also don't want to navigate independents etc. I buy into the support ecosystem as part of the car purchase.

It's nuts to buy a new one when there is so much uncertainty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.