RWD I-Pace with better range?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
I-Pace

RWD I-Pace with better range?

Post by I-Pace » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:44 am

Two years ago I was invited to a Jaguar ongoing survey to help them improve their products. I gave up answering those after a few weeks since most questions didn’t really make sense but yesterday I received a survey about “how satisfied I am with charging the I-Pace”. I took the opportunity to feedback on the 100 KWH charging speed I have never experienced throughout the 3 I-Pace I have owned.

There was an interesting question though: “Would you prefer a 280 miles range AWD I-Pace or a 360 miles range RWD I-Pace?”
Last edited by I-Pace on Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nipri

Re: RWD I-Pace with better range?

Post by nipri » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:20 am

Hi I-Pace, What did you answer? I went for 360 miles RWD.
I also commented about the charging in the survey.
Thanks,
FE Photon Red 20" Wheels, Light Oyster since 09/18.
No major issues at all & achieved 255 miles!

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:27 am

Why couldn't you make AWD software switchable, with eco mode automatically defaulting to RWD only above a given speed (say 50MPH)? Assuming that the same motors would be used?

For motorway driving RWD would probably be good enough and the range trade would be fair but acceleration would be a lot worse in normal road driving without the twin motors
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

Delta5

Post by Delta5 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:30 am

RWD would of course lower the cost and compete with cheaper brands including Tesla M3. Also Single motor RWD would be perfectly adequate for the self driving trials that Waymo are doing.
The question is would having RWD only make it profitable against the competition in that market, the FPace offers RWD but I don’t think they sell many ( may no longer be offered?).
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior, Air suspension, 18in wheels, Drivers pack, 360. arrived 16th July, very nice.

tutis

Post by tutis » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:31 am

electric beagle wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:27 am
Why couldn't you make AWD software switchable, with eco mode automatically defaulting to RWD only above a given speed (say 50MPH)? Assuming that the same motors would be used?

For motorway driving RWD would probably be good enough and the range trade would be fair but acceleration would be a lot worse in normal road driving without the twin motors
i-Pace uses permanent magnet motors which cannot free-wheel without drag. Jaguar would have to replace one of the motors with an induction motor which can free-wheel however these are known the be less efficient under operation

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:39 am

Having had a nasty spill in a RWD biased AWD sports car in poor conditions on a straight motorway, I would never ever choose RWD only purely on safety grounds especially if you are putting a lot of power through the back wheels. Keeping similar performance but with RWD only would be considerably less safe and put off a number of buyers. Reducing overall performance to give a safer RWD only option would also put off quite a few customers.

If it isn't easy to make AWD optional then it doesn't seem like this would fly for many buyers. I would not have even considered mine without AWD for similar reasons that I decided against the Alfa Giulia QV as my last car. Lots of power going through the back wheels only is a bad idea, as is not having lots of power ;)
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

symos

Post by symos » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:48 am

Sometimes it's not just about selling that many cars, it's about having a lower base price.

For example, the Mustang Mach E has an RWD version (which is obviously cheaper). If you look at stats, not many people have reserved it (myself included, before I canceled my reservation in favor of an i-Pace). However, it allows Ford to say that the Mach E "starts at XXXXX€", where XXXXX is a much more attractive price compared to the Jag. This creates a lot of media buzz and lures people in, who in the end, will probably opt for the more expensive, AWD version.

RichT

Post by RichT » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:59 am

During the launch I think I read that once the design team had decided to push the front and rear axles outwards
they had to make it AWD else the handling would be unacceptable.

I-Pace

Post by I-Pace » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:39 am

I replied RWD with 360 miles range since I could really do with a greater range but aware it might prove challenging to funnel 400 HP through RWD without constantly spinning out of control.

A lighter/“free wheel” front motor with 50 HP less would work for me :-)

FENorway

Post by FENorway » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:28 pm

I would prefer an AWD with 15-20% less drag. 0,29 is way to high and the main reason why the Model S get significant better mileage. That would of course mean some compromises regarding design, but I could live with it.
FE Corris grey light oyster/light oyster Performance 22" 5069 & 18" 19C_19.46.4-458817 and 18.2