About to pick up new I Pace

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Jabberwock

About to pick up new I Pace

Post by Jabberwock » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:05 pm

Hello
Friday pm scheduled for handover. Presumably not much interaction in the present circumstances so probably just as well there is plenty of info on this forum and videos on YouTube.
Having never bought a new car before should I demand an inspection before payment? Even if that means going back home to make bank transfer for majority of payment.
Thanks
MY21 HSE Indus Silver, Light Oyster interior, Charcoal Ash Trim, Air Suspension, Active Suspension with Adaptive Dynamics, Fog Lights. Very satisfied so far.

electric beagle

Re: About to pick up new I Pace

Post by electric beagle » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:05 pm

There should be no reason why you cannot make payment by debit card after inspecting the car however my dealer was not really up for taking more than £5k by card (which makes some sense for credit cards where a %ge fee is levied but not for debit cards which are a flat price per transaction).

The direction of travel seems to be most dealers want payment ahead of handover barring any final outstanding amount they are happy to take by card. For my last car I did force the dealer to take most payment on the day but I was unable to do this when picking up the iPace.

I am surprised they have not been in touch to talk about how the payment would be made. I would always do an inspection of all the obvious areas like the exterior, interior and wheel condition and check anything that is visually obvious like panel alignment etc. before leaving the dealer. You generally get a better deal these days when taking finance and it makes sense to do so now I think even if you pay off after a month or so for the added protection.
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:51 pm

Jabberwock wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:05 pm
Hello
Friday pm scheduled for handover. Presumably not much interaction in the present circumstances so probably just as well there is plenty of info on this forum and videos on YouTube.
Having never bought a new car before should I demand an inspection before payment? Even if that means going back home to make bank transfer for majority of payment.
Thanks
I bought my wifes Audi by paying the full amount in cash on the day, when I say cash, I mean I transferred the funds via my online banking from my phone, after I had inspected the car. No fees to pay by either party and it was instant.
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 Black, full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc
InControlTouch Pro: S20A_20.16.5-536345 Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 - H228, H264, H270

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:01 pm

ChrisMc wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:51 pm
Jabberwock wrote:
Hello
Thanks
I bought my wifes Audi by paying the full amount in cash on the day, when I say cash, I mean I transferred the funds via my online banking from my phone, after I had inspected the car. No fees to pay by either party and it was instant.
Some dealers will insist on clear funds 24 hours in advance, depending on your bank the only way to pay over £50k may be a CHAPS payment rather than FPS and it is rare to be able to initiate CHAPS via mobile banking and it is not instantaneous either (I waited with the buyer for 2.5 hours for a payment to show when I sold my last but one car).
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:32 pm

electric beagle wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:01 pm
ChrisMc wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:51 pm
Jabberwock wrote:
Hello
Thanks
Some dealers will insist on clear funds 24 hours in advance, depending on your bank the only way to pay over £50k may be a CHAPS payment rather than FPS and it is rare to be able to initiate CHAPS via mobile banking and it is not instantaneous either (I waited with the buyer for 2.5 hours for a payment to show when I sold my last but one car).
Best to check with the dealer then, but CHAPS will no doubt not be and instant transaction.
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 Black, full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc
InControlTouch Pro: S20A_20.16.5-536345 Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 - H228, H264, H270

scm

Post by scm » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:00 pm

And check with your bank, when I went to transfer £48k the day before I picked up mine, the bank would only allow £20k a day transfers. That was very annoying, and inconvenient.

pqr

Post by pqr » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:23 pm

For what it's worth, our bank (Lloyds) limits on-line payments to £25k per day. That would have required three payments over successive days, so we used the Faster Payment system which differs slightly from CHAPS. Faster payment is free and runs 24x7 but is limited to £250k. CHAPS has costs and only runs in office hours but has no limit.

Faster Payment was straightforward. The account holder has to visit a branch with a chip-and-pin bank card, a passport and details of the recipient's bank account. They will set up the transfer and it should arrive within two hours.
iPace EV400 SE, MY2020, Corris Grey, 20" wheels. Driver assist, air suspension.
Vehicle connectivity 19.2, battery energy control BN-AAE-BC-AC-BE, Infotainment S20C_20.43.1-618886.

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:38 pm

pqr wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:23 pm
For what it's worth, our bank (Lloyds) limits on-line payments to £25k per day. That would have required three payments over successive days, so we used the Faster Payment system which differs slightly from CHAPS. Faster payment is free and runs 24x7 but is limited to £250k. CHAPS has costs and only runs in office hours but has no limit.

Faster Payment was straightforward. The account holder has to visit a branch with a chip-and-pin bank card, a passport and details of the recipient's bank account. They will set up the transfer and it should arrive within two hours.
Faster payments are the defacto standard for most online payments these days it's not the faster payment here that is the limitation it's that LBG want to put in place additional security checks for payments over £25k. The mechanism that is used to transfer the cash is exactly the same one that you use when making payments online yourself. In fact the system LBG use in branch is a different variant of the online.banking system you use too.

Some other banks will not offer a faster payment route for payments above the online.oayment limit. They will insist you use CHAPS and thus pay the circa £30 fee.

Jabberwock

Post by Jabberwock » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:59 pm

Thanks for the advice. I do need to transfer more than £25k so will need 2 days.
MY21 HSE Indus Silver, Light Oyster interior, Charcoal Ash Trim, Air Suspension, Active Suspension with Adaptive Dynamics, Fog Lights. Very satisfied so far.

TheBook

Post by TheBook » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:01 pm

Jabberwock wrote:
Hello
Friday pm scheduled for handover.
Enjoy tomorrow! It’s an incredible machine
MY2020 I-Pace HSE
Mercedes E350 cabriolet
Range Rover Evoque Autobiography