Length of supplied charging cable

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Sb104

Length of supplied charging cable

Post by Sb104 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:22 pm

I have just placed an order for an iPace in the uk and trying to figure out the best place to have a wall box installed. I’ve googled pretty hard but can’t find anything that says how long the supplied type 2 to type 2 cable is. Could anyone please give me an approx length?

Thanks

endoman

Re: Length of supplied charging cable

Post by endoman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:08 am

It's around 5M. I've only ever used it at Tesco, tethered at home.
Santorini Black SE, MY18, Ebony / Mars Red performance seats, Pano, Air and Adaptive. Black trim, 20 Inch 5070 wheels, H264/280, S20C_20.43.1-618886 19.2.
Ohme home charger, https://share.octopus.energy/funny-prawn-126

ianipace

Post by ianipace » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:16 am

Cables are available from many sources in lengths from 5metres to 25 metres!
For a 25 metre cable you pay a king's ransom because it has a few cores of 6mm copper cable! Up to £499
12.5.metres is a useful length and costs a more reasonable £269.
5 metres is too short when someone has ICEd the charging bay, but the next parking bay is free, and 12.5 metres does the job!

Stay safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and 20" wheels. Ohme Smart charger.

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:28 am

Sb104 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:22 pm
I have just placed an order for an iPace in the uk and trying to figure out the best place to have a wall box installed. I’ve googled pretty hard but can’t find anything that says how long the supplied type 2 to type 2 cable is. Could anyone please give me an approx length?

Thanks
My suggestion is to have a wallbox with a fixed cable installed - makes your life far easier. When you want to charge just unwind as much cable as you need and plug it in - when done unplug and hang back the cable.
Else each time you want to charge you need to get the cable from the car, plug it in on both sides and when done charging unplug both sides and store the cable in the car again.

FYI the type 2 cable I got with the car I think is 3 meters long - you also get a granny charger cable (to plug into a normal home socket) which is also approx 3 meters long.
I-pace S + HUD + Drive Pack + Light Oyster Sport Seats + Tailgate I Ceasium Blue | 18" wheels
Infotainment 20C + Telematics 19.2 | ODO 63.168km | 2020 Efficiency 199watt/km @ avg 73km/h

Sb104

Post by Sb104 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:31 pm

Thanks folks - much appreciated. I guess you pays your money and takes your choice, but it sounds like a tethered charger is the way to go!

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:18 pm

Jelle v/d Meer wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:28 am
Sb104 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:22 pm

Thanks
My suggestion is to have a wallbox with a fixed cable installed - makes your life far easier. When you want to charge just unwind as much cable as you need and plug it in - when done unplug and hang back the cable.
Else each time you want to charge you need to get the cable from the car, plug it in on both sides and when done charging unplug both sides and store the cable in the car again.

FYI the type 2 cable I got with the car I think is 3 meters long - you also get a granny charger cable (to plug into a normal home socket) which is also approx 3 meters long.
Agree I just don't understand why anyone would not go with the tethered option with the right charger it's so much simpler
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

ianipace

Post by ianipace » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:24 pm

Most smart charging suppliers can sell a box with tethered cable and will sell you one with a longer cable if required. Do make sure the cable you buy is long enough to allow you to park the car and charge it even when not in the ideal pace!

As Jaguar supply a granny charger and a 5 metre Type 2 to Type 2 cable for out and about charging, maybe a tethered cable is best for your home smart charger?
If you are going for the Government money, then it MUST be a smart charger. Some use Wifi, some have an inbuilt E-SIM and uses the cloud to get to the phone's app.
Ohme, the smart charger I have, interfaces with the Jaguar API and Octopus Energy API to give every option.

Stay safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and 20" wheels. Ohme Smart charger.