Basic question on home charging

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Jabberwock

Basic question on home charging

Post by Jabberwock » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:53 am

Hello
My I Pace is coming this week and in preparation I have fitted an 11 kW charger since we happen to have a 3 phase supply. No smart meter or off-peak though, so not much point in entering preferred charge times. So I get the car home, plug it in and start charging. My question is what happens if it just left plugged? Does it get to 100% then stop or keep trying to top it up? The latter presumably being undesirable.
MY21 HSE Indus Silver, Light Oyster interior, Charcoal Ash Trim, Air Suspension, Active Suspension with Adaptive Dynamics, Fog Lights. Very satisfied so far.

Jackies jag

Re: Basic question on home charging

Post by Jackies jag » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:23 am

I want to set my charger to start at 00.30 and stop at 04.30

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:31 am

Jabberwock wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:53 am
Hello
My I Pace is coming this week and in preparation I have fitted an 11 kW charger since we happen to have a 3 phase supply. No smart meter or off-peak though, so not much point in entering preferred charge times. So I get the car home, plug it in and start charging. My question is what happens if it just left plugged? Does it get to 100% then stop or keep trying to top it up? The latter presumably being undesirable.
It stops at 100% and only adds if there is drain (e.g. from preconditioning)

I don't currently have a smart meter or cheaper off peak but I do turn off my charger remotely when I get to circa 85% charge
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

Terry60

Post by Terry60 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:35 pm

The battery has an 8 year warranty (or was it 10 ?) so JLR aren't going to let "charging it the wrong way" damage it.
You can safely leave it connected.
If anything JLR were ultra conservative in their battery management originally and the margins above "100%" and below "0%" were pretty substantial. Those margins were relaxed a little last year when they'd gained some experience from real-world use, but are still there to protect it from getting too close to areas which could cause degradation.
I always left it (and the previous Audi for 4 years) permanently connected to an E7 supply so it could top up overnight if needed, without any ill effects.
The only reason to stop it from keeping 100% charge is if you want full high regen from the moment you start driving. There's a noticeable reduction for the first few miles otherwise.
Ex A3 e-tron (138mpg over 4 years)
Now in Black HSE (every tech option, no bling) MY20 VIN 829.. IC S20C_20.43 Tele 16.2 Maps 115.153
Awaiting PV, Powerwall, Zappi.
Looking forward to free motoring. (barring the cost of all the kit !)

Lightning Mcqueen

Post by Lightning Mcqueen » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:19 pm

You can leave it plugged in with no damage it turns off automatically if you do decide to go with a cheap tariff try Octopus go use this referral link and receive £50 credit on your 1st bill
glass-woods-666
Happy Charging

Lightning Mcqueen

Post by Lightning Mcqueen » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:27 pm

Jackies jag wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:23 am
There is a you tube video on how to set precondition if your joining octopus Go use this referral link and get £50 credit to your 1st bill
glass-woods-666

George Jetson

Post by George Jetson » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:41 pm

Lightning Mcqueen wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:27 pm
Jackies jag wrote:
There is a you tube video on how to set precondition if your joining octopus Go use this referral link and get £50 credit to your 1st bill
glass-woods-666
But is it still the case that the iPaces own system will never stop at 4am - it will always keep charging to 100% if it can. I know some use 3rd party apps or timers on the charger itself.
I’d hate JackiesJag to have to suffer the weeks of futile frustration that I did !!!!

NigelC

Post by NigelC » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:53 pm

George Jetson wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:41 pm
Lightning Mcqueen wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:27 pm
Jackies jag wrote:
glass-woods-666
But is it still the case that the iPaces own system will never stop at 4am - it will always keep charging to 100% if it can. I know some use 3rd party apps or timers on the charger itself.
I’d hate JackiesJag to have to suffer the weeks of futile frustration that I did !!!!
You are quite right that the I-Pace will still draw power to keep charging even after the timed charging period has elapsed. Presumably this is because Jaguar thought the car should be at 100%, or as close to, at the set departure time. Dont think that they realised how penny pinching the purchasers of their s

What I do is set up the timed charging as per Abu Dhabi Dudes excellent video on YouTube. I have my charging period set to 0:30 to 04:30.

In order to stop the charge I simply use the MyPace app on my phone at 4.30am, then go back to sleep thinking of the 50p I just saved! I think you can use WattCat (Android) to automatically stop the charge at a specified %, but i haven't tried it, as I didn't want to muck anything up.

Because we are not doing many miles these days, I don't have to charge the car everyday. I have found that if I put the car on timed charging when it gets down to about 65%, a 4 hour charge (7kWh) will get it back up to around 95%. Even if I don't wake up to stop the charge using my phone, an extra 5% going jnto the car isn't a big deal for either me or my Octopus account!

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Nigel
MY 20 SE Corris Grey
Delivered 09/19
H264, H270, 20C