New owner with some real-world, no-bullshit range data

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
kermit68

Re: New owner with some real-world, no-bullshit range data

Post by kermit68 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:28 pm

chrisell wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:31 pm
As we're veering off-topic just a touch: 100kW chargers. Do they actually work for us?
I ask because I took my iPace to an ElectrifyAmerica 100kW charger last week and it maxed out at 33kW. Tried another 100kW charger in the same facility and it maxed out at 28kW. Drove 2 miles to the free 50kW charger from a different company (ChargePoint) and the car took the full 50kW rate.
There's speculation in the American forums as to whether (a) the IPace really does support 100kW charging, (b) if it does, it's only when the SOC is below 10% and (c) whether or not ElectrifyAmerica have a problem with their 100kW chargers.
Either way mine is almost always slow-charged at home, but for a long road trip (420 miles from here to Vegas for example) I kinda need to know if I can rely on 100kW chargers and right now, it seems questionable.
Based on my experience (in Italy):
(a) yes the Ipace does suport 100kw chargers even if I rarely got it (Ionity chargers)
(b) no, you can get it above 10% but probably not above 30% (more or less)
(c) it's possible you can have issued with some specific chargers

Last but not the least, especially in winter season, battery temperature is critical to get a decent charging rate and I bet the temperatures in Salt Lake City are not very confortable right now :D
Last edited by kermit68 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY20 Yulong White SE, 20", air suspension, privacy glass, black pack and other fine stuffs

Captain.Plummet

Post by Captain.Plummet » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:34 pm

kermit68 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:24 pm
And hopefully JLR will improve the BEMS too othewise a it will be a nightmare to charge a larger battery at 85kw ....
At least you'd have more capacity in the faster part of the curve. If an 80%-ish charge gave you 90kWh in a 110kWh battery but at 85kWh all the way, you'd spend 55 minutes from almost empty to 320 miles range. If they go to 150kWh - which they probably will - you'd get that in just over 30 minutes.
Personally I think that adding 300 miles in an hour is perfectly reasonable. If the 110kWh I-XJ or whatever was capable of 400 miles that would mean 700 miles range with one 60 - or two 30 minutes stops at I Pace charging speeds (leaving with a fully charged and preconditioned car). No need for Ionity at that rate.

chrisell

Post by chrisell » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:40 pm

kermit68 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:28 pm
last but not the least, especially in winter season, battery temperature is critical to get a decent charging rate and I bet the temperatures in Salt Lake City are not very confortable right now :D
Better than they should be. We'd normally be around -10C right now but it's been bouncing between -5C and +5C. What was weird was that the 100kW charger maxed out at less than the 50kW charger - in the same temperature. And I have to drive to get to those chargers so the battery isn't ice cold by that point - it's - well let's be optimistic - luke-warm. I couldn't figure out why it would take a 50kW charge but the higher capacity chargers ran at lower capacity. Weird. Good to know it actually DOES support 100kW though. Manual says it does. Jag says it does. Good to hear from someone who's seen it themselves :)
Red 2020 I-pace

Captain.Plummet

Post by Captain.Plummet » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:40 pm

chrisell wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:31 pm
As we're veering off-topic just a touch: 100kW chargers. Do they actually work for us?
I ask because I took my iPace to an ElectrifyAmerica 100kW charger last week and it maxed out at 33kW. Tried another 100kW charger in the same facility and it maxed out at 28kW. Drove 2 miles to the free 50kW charger from a different company (ChargePoint) and the car took the full 50kW rate.
There's speculation in the American forums as to whether (a) the IPace really does support 100kW charging, (b) if it does, it's only when the SOC is below 10% and (c) whether or not ElectrifyAmerica have a problem with their 100kW chargers.
Either way mine is almost always slow-charged at home, but for a long road trip (420 miles from here to Vegas for example) I kinda need to know if I can rely on 100kW chargers and right now, it seems questionable.
This is fairly normal for me on an Ionity charger. I plugged in at 20% SoC andI still had 50kWh -ish at 80%.

IMG_5557.jpg

chrisell

Post by chrisell » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:49 pm

The US chargers aren't typically that verbose on the screen. Or in some cases not informative at all. But they do install knee-high "guard" posts at every location exactly where the driver's door would open. Placed perfectly below the line of sight of the window. So yeah. Perfect design over here in America:

IMG-4918.jpg

Red 2020 I-pace

Captain.Plummet

Post by Captain.Plummet » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:53 pm

chrisell wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:49 pm
The US chargers aren't typically that verbose on the screen. Or in some cases not informative at all. But they do install knee-high "guard" posts at every location exactly where the driver's door would open. Placed perfectly below the line of sight of the window. So yeah. Perfect design over here in America:
IMG-4918.jpg
Too many Falcon wing doors over there!

dernotte

Post by dernotte » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:17 pm

I think I read somewhere on the forum that the required minimum battery temp to get full advantage of a 100kw charger is higher than the minimum temp required for a 50kw charger. So in low temp, you will get higher charging rate on a 50kw than on a 100kw, and I confirm that in real life.

chrisell

Post by chrisell » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:51 pm

dernotte wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:17 pm
I think I read somewhere on the forum that the required minimum battery temp to get full advantage of a 100kw charger is higher than the minimum temp required for a 50kw charger. So in low temp, you will get higher charging rate on a 50kw than on a 100kw, and I confirm that in real life.
I'll give it another go in the spring then :) Or summer, when it's 35C ambient.
Red 2020 I-pace

scm

Post by scm » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:27 pm

chrisell wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:49 pm
But they do install knee-high "guard" posts at every location exactly where the driver's door would open. Placed perfectly below the line of sight of the window. So yeah. Perfect design over here in America:
Bet they're sponsored by the local door ding repair shop! :lol:

Lightning Mcqueen

Post by Lightning Mcqueen » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:00 pm

You can reset your WLTP for a better mileage
Press the start button then fully press the acceleration pedal and brake at the same time and hold down for approx 12 seconds you should see your mileage range increase back to 260